1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

One more thing: can anyone comment on the durability of the Independence lining vis-a-vis the standard lining? I was pleasantly surprised at how soft the standard lining in the Shaker Heights is, and I'm worried that the softer-yet sheepskin Independence lining may wear more quickly where my heel pulls in and out of the boot. I will probably invest in a longer shoe horn (in real horn, perhaps) to avoid trouble down the road, but I'm nevertheless inclined to favor durability over other concerns with the lining.

2. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Players with ps socks and olive incotex[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

My 8 last shoes have felt a bit loose of late so I ordered chili Vernon's from the latest seconds sale in both 8.5D (same as my black Vernons) and 8D. Lo and behold, after 2 years of wearing proper shoes, I realize 8D is the correct fit. Unfortunately, I'll have to send them back due to this gash...

[​IMG]

I'll get some inserts for my other 8 last shoes, I reckon.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  4. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

I realize this is not the proper thread for this question, but I would value the AEAT opinion on what to wear these with.

Black suede walkover bucks I got for an insane deal.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

Funny. I'm wearing charcoal prAna Zion pants around the house today and wondered what shoes (not sold at REI) they would go with. I think you just answered my question! If rock climbing-yoga-stretch pants aren't welcome in your wardrobe, I'd think any slim fit, flat front trousers in a lighter grey would look good with those. It's overpriced for the quality, but Banana Republic sells a lot of pants that I can envision with those.

6. YRR92

YRR92 Senior member

Black suede bluchers on a rubber sole with blue laces have been my go-to shoe with blue and black jeans since around New Year's.

1 person likes this.
  7. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

There you have it then.

8. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

I don't mind a little threadjacking when it's in the service of kicks like those. Makes me want to kop a pair. May I ask where you got them? I've been curious about Walk-Overs for a while.

9. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

FYI, I just found out the $10 restocking fee applies only if you use their prepaid shipping label. Otherwise, if you ship it back on your own dime, there's no restocking fee.

10. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Just got back my fifth avenues from the cobbler to replace the heels. By default, the fifth ave. has a black heel but my cobbler painted my heel area dark brown, the same color as my uppers.

Does this make the shoe less formal?

11. halfnhalfnhalf

FWIW, I posted a while back about a pair of Vernon seconds that had a similar gash in them. Everyone I asked about them (including Vincenzo at the SB) said to send them back, but in the hopes of finding someone who would tell me what I wanted to hear [​IMG] I took them to my local cobbler. There I was told that the defect was probably the result of a stray stitching needle, and while there was nothing that would make it go away, it wasn't that deep and the look would probably improve over time with consistent polishing.

My Vernons are black and I intend to wear them fewer than 10x/year, so I've made the decision to hold on to them at least for now. I've been wanting them for a while and I can put up with quite a bit of cosmetic defect for $149.

1 person likes this.
  12. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

Just use edge dressing and make it black if that's what you want.

13. halfnhalfnhalf

14. afewnicethings

afewnicethings Member

[​IMG]
    Natural McTavish w/ Gustin American 16'ers

1 person likes this.
  15. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Here they are:

http://www.saksoff5th.com/suede-mid...&x=walkover&start=1&location=2243&slotLoads=1

They were $80 when I bought them, bu I had previously purchased a Groupon which gave me a $60 gift certificate for $30. So, they ended up only costing me $50 (which is 80% off retail).
    I actually have a charcoal pair of Lululemon pants like these that I love. From afar, they actually look like dress pants. Most comfortable pants I own, actually. Thanks for the tip!

Might try them out with some light gray cords I have also. Do you think they would work with gray/white gingham shorts?

16. pablot

pablot New Member

I bought a pair of brown Jermyn's, which are a superb fit for my feet. I wasn't quick enough to get them in black before AE discontinued the line. The Manchester is made on Last 97, so should be a good fit according to SE. Does anyone own either Jermyn and Manchester, or Park Avenue and Manchester, and if so are the fits roughly comparable.

Second question: Does anyone know the AE sales cycles (trying to figure out whether Manchester likely to go on sale in next few months or just break down and pay retail).

17. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I have the Jermyn and Manchester and both fit similarly.

Chris

18. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

I hear you, my friend. I emailed this pic to Kristle to see if she thought she could find a better quality replacement. If not, I'll just keep them.

19. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

I wear a 10.5C (ideally) or B in the Fifth Avenue / 5-65 last.

What's my likely size in the 3-333 last? Ie a Rutledge?

Thanks

20. AIK1891

AIK1891 Active Member

I just received a pair of walnut Jermyn's from Allison to try on before ordering MTO Manchester (the merlot option was just discontinued hence my MTO). This was long after it had been gone from the website, and even longer since sold out in my size. The Jermyn fits me fine and Allison assures it is identical in shape to the Manchester so I'm going ahead with the merlot Manchester order (and I'm keeping the walnut Jermyn's which I thought I'd missed the boat on!).

I won't have my Manchester's for a while to compare side-by-side to the Jermyn's, but I'm confident in the assurances.

On a related note, you could always ask first if a black Jermyn is still available somewhere like I scored with the walnut, or in the alternative if could you get black in a special order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.