• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobStrauss

Reaction score
What do you guys think about the AE Spiaggia shoe? Is it something that could be worn with both shorts and jeans or am I just marsupialed?

YRR92

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys think about the AE Spiaggia shoe? Is it something that could be worn with both shorts and jeans or am I just marsupialed?
You're not marsupialed (questionable term to use), probably. Bals with shorts is a serious no-go, in my book. They are kind of a buck, and I suppose bucks with shorts wouldn't be the end of the world, but these are too dressy

I'd like them with khakis, linen trousers, and seersucker, but I'd rather have another shoe in rotation for what I typically wear than add those, if that makes sense.

bucksfan

Reaction score

AE must have known it is my b-day next week since it sent me a pair of first quality brown shell Strands instead of the second quality ones I ordered from Jeffersonville for $299--no imperfections (other than some very slight color variation), no seconds stamp on soles, and blue flannel shoebags, all in a seconds-labelled box.  Suffice to say I was quite surprised when opening that present.  Plus the pair of second quality black shell Macneils I ordered at the same time look to be great shape as well--I was afraid TTS might not fit, but it seems perfect.

Pics! Congratulations and happy birthday too!

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got my Leeds seconds today. I would guess they are fairly old since they have the black insole. They are in decent shape, probably a bit below average compared to most seconds I have seen. I think with some work they could be fine though. The biggest point of concern for me is one section of the leather is fairly rough and almost has a pebbled feel. I have not seen this before with cordovan. Anyone have any experience with this?

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I looked at it and considered it briefly. On its own, I actually really like the look; however, I just don't see it working in my wardrobe.

If it was a blucher, I would consider wearing them with shorts, but as they stand now they just seem too incongruous in general to fit a specific niche for me.

cincikid

Reaction score

I think it's OK, but I find navy suede Stewart to be a lot more versatile. They seem to be sold out at Lands End (to which they were exclusive) but I've seen them on the recent Shoebank list of seconds. With a little luck, you can score it at 2 for 250 at the forthcoming sale.

FWIW, I've also seen a navy suede buck Alden at the recent Shoemart list, although it's much pricier at $299+$15 for shipping.

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's OK, but I find navy suede Stewart to be a lot more versatile. They seem to be sold out at Lands End (to which they were exclusive) but I've seen them on the recent Shoebank list of seconds. With a little luck, you can score it at 2 for 250 at the forthcoming sale.

FWIW, I've also seen a navy suede buck Alden at the recent Shoemart list, although it's much pricier at $299+$15 for shipping.

Bingo, this is exactly what I was picturing as what I would consider wearing with shorts (or perhaps chinos too). Definitely more useful than a balmoral in blue suede.

cincikid

Reaction score
Bingo, this is exactly what I was picturing as what I would consider wearing with shorts (or perhaps chinos too). Definitely more useful than a balmoral in blue suede.

It's a beautiful shoe--even more so in person--and I find it quite versatile for the navy suede. I tend to be wearing it with khakis, cords and blue jeans (not with dark blue though). They were $234 last time I've seen, but since this is a closeout style, you'd be able to get them at 2 for $250 next week on sale, or at 25% off using the coupon that I posted yesterday in this thread.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I looked at it and considered it briefly.  On its own, I actually really like the look; however, I just don't see it working in my wardrobe.

If it was a blucher, I would consider wearing them with shorts, but as they stand now they just seem too incongruous in general to fit a specific niche for me.

I bought these on clearance for just under 150$ for firsts. Super cool shoe, my wife fawns all over it.

True, it's definitely an odd duck to build an ensemble around, but it does just fine with very light jeans, light linens, chinos, white, bright color five-pocket pants.

Not sure why you couldn't pull them off with light-color shorts, especially without socks...

I knew it wasn't a versatile shoe when I bought it, but have drooled over it since February. And at that price, why not??

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
is it necessary to give a new pair of Macallister some reno and color polish treatment?

MKJ1

Reaction score

AE must have known it is my b-day next week since it sent me a pair of first quality brown shell Strands instead of the second quality ones I ordered from Jeffersonville for $299--no imperfections (other than some very slight color variation), no seconds stamp on soles, and blue flannel shoebags, all in a seconds-labelled box.  Suffice to say I was quite surprised when opening that present.  Plus the pair of second quality black shell Macneils I ordered at the same time look to be great shape as well--I was afraid TTS might not fit, but it seems perfect.

Nice pick up sir. I just picked up some near flawless shell Strands froDm there last month before the shell sale. Does anyone know if Jeffersonville would retro price match my previous purchase with the current sale? Thanks

bucksfan

Reaction score
Doubt it, but you may as well ask them.

Just got my black Cambridge and burgundy shell park aves from the sale. The Cambridge looks great - but the park aves have a few too many issues for me. Getting a replacement pair Monday. We'll see how those are.

TheSizzle

Reaction score

They're not bad with jeans. I scored a pair of the white ones when they first came out, but I must mention that, if you get white ones, you will see denim staining them. I mean, that's to be expected, but it's also easy to overlook. They're awfully casual, but I wouldn't rock them with shorts. I would say chinos and denim.

kwhitelaw

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
odd question, but has anyone ever taken a side by side of AE's version of a LWB in brown shell compared to aldens LWB?

looking at a MTO to fill that void that alden cannot seem to deliver on, thinking the AE might be the way to go..

thanks in advance!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads