1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

2. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

3. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Did you get these prior to the current seconds sale? My clearance list shows them being $199, no discount?

My wife loves these in brown, may end up getting them but not at $199.

4. dmwave45

dmwave45 Member

I'm not usually a fan of shoes that aren't all leather but these look awesome. What model are they?

5. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I sold my brown calf Norwich. Long story, but basically I ended up with a half size larger than i needed and I sold them because they were too big. I've put them on and off about 4 times now and every time I do I think about keeping them. I told myself I was going to pick between this and the Rutledge I got, but choosing is so hard! I might go with the default SF answer of "keep both".

6. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Stay at 10.

7. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Last edited: Feb 13, 2014
  8. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Second quality shells go on sale for $299 twice a year. Are there any annual or semi-annual deals for first quality shells? Thanks.

9. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

These come standard with the v-tread sole so that's cool. I've been eyeing them for a while but didn't want to pay $395 but figured for half price...

Yes, current sale. I don't think they were one of the models with an added discount however they were listed as "Closeout". They were $395 when they were new and are going for $277 now, but only a few sizes are left. So, I figured for $199 (half price and these are flawless), what the heck. I guess if they are going for $277 new at the moment and $199 for seconds, that's a 28% discount. Is that normal for a closeout? I guess I look at it like it was $200 (half price) for a nice boot that is flawless where there was only one left anywhere in my size was something I was comfortable with.

Shaker Heights. (mine are chili)

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF8722_1_40000000001_-1_
    http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF8725_1_40000000001_-1_

10. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Sooooooooo i just got back from the Philly AE store, yes walked through the many inches of snow, and can now report that 5 of my 10 pairs of AEs are likely the wrong size. On the 5 last I have been buying 11.5Ds but once they broke in they were too loose, well I confirmed that I should be buying 11D instead.

This is quite a bummer but I guess its good to know now before I continue my shoe shopping. The SA gave me some tongue pads to help take up some room in the shoe, lets see how that works.

11. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Sounds like it's time to buy 5 more pairs!!!

Seriously, this happened to me too. I'm 11 3e on the brannock, so had been buying that size. Soon enough discovered 10.5 3e fit me better across all AE lasts

12. AIK1891

AIK1891 Active Member

My two pairs from last year have been very satisfying (pictures posted a few pages back), and they were designed with colors that could function every day.

For this year, I already have different MTOs in the pipeline so I'm not so active on these Neumok's right now. But I am strongly considering an all white make up or a black/white spectator; I think either should be the best value I could find for comfortable summer weekend shoes ... I'm just uncertain as to how much use I could expect from an all white or black/white in the next year or so in order to justify them :confused:

13. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

For factory seconds returns, did you guys call the shoe bank to return them? Thanks

14. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Bought the Long Branches based on my sneaker size...lol 13E they are bit loose but nothing a comfy sock couldn't fit, then bought the Boca Raton Walnut in 13E and they were snug...found this place and the light went off. I am a moron....so I bought about 15 - 20 pairs of AE shoes on Ebay in various styles to get an idea of what a broke in pair would feel like and for the price of admission it was an eye opening experience.

I am keeping several of the shoes as they are just a perfect fit and will be re-selling others - Even got a pair of Shell's for under $150 that looked pretty aweful though soles were in great shape still and sent them to AE for refinishing and they are beautiful. They fit well so may end up keeping them -I got a pair of Wilberts for $12 and sent them in for full re-crafting just to see how they would come back and they look nearly new.

Bottom line for me is that even if I end up losing a few hundred bucks on the buying and selling process I am ok with it as I now know what fits and what does not.

I also picked up some Nettleton's and vintage Florsch's in shell and sent them to B Nelson just to see what the outcome will be.

Can not wait to learn to polish a shoe properly. After 20 years in sneakers and casual shoes - loving this transition to AE shoes - I go with bold styles mostly gunboats, morgans, broadstreets, shoes with weave, Neumok's(getting a few of the web gem customs), Shelton etc.

Love reading everyone's posts - thanks for sharing all the knowledge!

1 person likes this.
  15. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Are you sure they are taking home part of the sales? I used to work retail at a shoe store and they tracked how much we sold, but we did not get a direct cut of the sales.
    Agreed. There is no way to fix that. without getting a new piece of leather cut and having the whole shoe reconstructed.
    IMO, this is a fad and like most women's trends will fall out of fashion.
    Rediscover sale.

16. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

call the same person that took your order. they will send you a label, which you can print out.

17. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

Thanks!

18. Churchill W

Churchill W Senior member

Thoughts on these for recrafting?

I should have paid more attention to the sole. I think these are down to the insole...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

19. WICaniac

WICaniac Senior member

I had the same boot in black waiting for me, but it's only for sizing purposes for my MTO. While I would have far less use for the black than the chili or the dark brown, I nevertheless fell in love instantly and feel as though I may regret sending them back.

Funny--I also learned that I was a half size too big at that store. Perhaps the same SA (tall, skinny, younger guy--natty dresser with a pack of cigs in his breast pocket)? Luckily, I was only one pair in at the time.

I asked Mike at SB II whether he was on commission, and he said yes.

20. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

The black Shaker Heights are rare and quite sharp-looking, I must say, despite being less versatile. I would definitely hold onto them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.