• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subutai

Reaction score
So I received a pair of 2nds as a gift. However there are some creases and I would like either exchange it or return it for another style. I don't have a receipt since this was a gift. Any solutions to this? I'm not even sure which place he got it from. The shoe is unworn, but it has some creases on the leather.

If there are, in fact, seconds then they were not purchased at Nordstroms or an AE store. They were likely purchased at an AE outlet or the Shoe Bank, potentially Century 21 or Nordstrom Rack.

The simple answer is ask the person who gifted them to you then return them accordingly.

That said, shoes develop creases. Unless they are deep creases (which I doubt they are), then it's a non issue. Shoes develop light creases after trying them on so even new firsts will usually have some creases.

frogwash

Reaction score

I didn't purchase my originals from Nordstroms, but maybe I'll head over there, and pick up a pair, then return the ebay ones for a refund. Any idea how long the sale is on for? The closest Nordstrom's from me is a little ways away.

Thanks
-Scott

Are you saying you're going to buy new ones from Nordstrom's and then "return" your eBay shoes to Nordstrom's for a refund? I hope my English comprehension is what's at fault here and not ethics. If there's a problem with the eBay shoes this should be taken up with the eBay seller.

If I'm just completely misunderstanding the intention, I apologize.

Kroaker

Reaction score
Are you saying you're going to buy new ones from Nordstrom's and then "return" your eBay shoes to Nordstrom's for a refund? I hope my English comprehension is what's at fault here and not ethics. If there's a problem with the eBay shoes this should be taken up with the eBay seller.

If I'm just completely misunderstanding the intention, I apologize.
That is the way I read what he said, and if so, he has some serious ethical issues.

MrWN

Reaction score
I didn't purchase my originals from Nordstroms, but maybe I'll head over there, and pick up a pair, then return the ebay ones for a refund. Any idea how long the sale is on for? The closest Nordstrom's from me is a little ways away.

Thanks
-Scott

Usually the AE shoes sold on ebay have been marked... So, you should be weary about doing something like that.

LeviMay

Reaction score

Would it be stupid to precondition new AE shoes with renovateur before wearing them? I'm not sure wether the leather is dried up if it sits in the factory boxes too long. 

Not stupid at all. I always condition and polish new shoes before I wear them.

Last edited:

JDHarman

Reaction score
Hello. I've lurked this forum for a while, and this is my first post, as I need some advice, and I'm a bit of a shoe-care-noob.

I just ordered a pair of Walnut Calf Daltons during the Nordstrom Sale, and I was hoping to get some advice on caring for them as soon as I pull them out of the box. I know there's the huge thread on shoe care, but I was hoping to get some advice directly from someone who already owns the Daltons, or something similar.

What I'm most concerned with is giving them a bit of protection before I even put them on my feet. I've read that it's a good idea to stay away from silicone waterproofing sprays, and that stuff like Obenauf's LP will darken the leather considerably. Will something like the AE Premium Polish (in Walnut, of Course) be sufficient to provide a bit of protection? Also, will that type of polish, when applied to a burnished finish like the Daltons', eventually build up and cover up the darker areas of the burnishing, changing the initial appearance of the boot? I'd like to maintain the burnished finish as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi, i'm also new to AE and also about to bite the bullet on the AE strands on the nordstrom website.

I seem to size up as 8E, according to the AE size guide. However, after reading several threads i understand that the Strand is a 5 last, which is longer and narrower.

As I live in Australia, I can't go into a store and try them on for myself (best solution) so it is a bit of a gamble for me.

I own a few Loake 1880 shoes that are size 8.5UK or 9UK with a G fitting and they seem to fit me well if that gives some idea to anyone. And yes, I do have a bit of a wide foot.

Would just like some advice regarding this.

Thanks in advance

Very strange, sorry to ask, did you print out the sizing guide correctly and measured your fee, because UK sizes are normally half a size down compare to US. I have AE PA in US7E, and my Loake Capital F and 026G lasts in UK 6.5s.

and what Loakes do you have, since you wear 8.5 and 9 in them?

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would it be stupid to precondition new AE shoes with renovateur before wearing them? I'm not sure wether the leather is dried up if it sits in the factory boxes too long. 

It's won't hurt the leather, but I reckon there is no need for new shoes since the factory usually applied enough to last some time.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hello. I've lurked this forum for a while, and this is my first post, as I need some advice, and I'm a bit of a shoe-care-noob.

I just ordered a pair of Walnut Calf Daltons during the Nordstrom Sale, and I was hoping to get some advice on caring for them as soon as I pull them out of the box. I know there's the huge thread on shoe care, but I was hoping to get some advice directly from someone who already owns the Daltons, or something similar.

What I'm most concerned with is giving them a bit of protection before I even put them on my feet. I've read that it's a good idea to stay away from silicone waterproofing sprays, and that stuff like Obenauf's LP will darken the leather considerably. Will something like the AE Premium Polish (in Walnut, of Course) be sufficient to provide a bit of protection? Also, will that type of polish, when applied to a burnished finish like the Daltons', eventually build up and cover up the darker areas of the burnishing, changing the initial appearance of the boot? I'd like to maintain the burnished finish as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Any wax polish will provide protection as it sits on top of the leather as a layer. If the polish is dark compare to the non burnished parts, yes, it will. So it's generally easier to use light polish, and a darker polish at the toes if you want to build up patina.

As in you can do the burnishing effects yourself.

RefleX

Reaction score
Went to Nordstroms and they didn't have my size, so I wound up just ordering a pair of 12D Walnut Strands while I was there. This should keep me occupied for a while. I really don't want any other shoes at the moment.

AE_afficionado

Reaction score
Would you have any qualms returning a pair of AE's to Nordstrom purchased in December because they no longer fit?

These are McTavishes, that I paid full retail and have a receipt in hand. I wore these at most once a week for a few months on casual Friday's until it felt like they stretched out and now even with thick socks the shoes are too big.

What will they do if they do not have another pair of shoes in my size in stock? Will they size me in a different shoe?

Last edited:

Ennuis

Reaction score
Very strange, sorry to ask, did you print out the sizing guide correctly and measured your fee, because UK sizes are normally half a size down compare to US. I have AE PA in US7E, and my Loake Capital F and 026G lasts in UK 6.5s.

and what Loakes do you have, since you wear 8.5 and 9 in them?

yep. printed everything correctly.

i wear the loake badminton in 9UK G and the herring knightsbridge in 8.5UK G pretty well for example, although the badminton has a little more room at the toes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads