Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

If there are, in fact, seconds then they were not purchased at Nordstroms or an AE store. They were likely purchased at an AE outlet or the Shoe Bank, potentially Century 21 or Nordstrom Rack.

The simple answer is ask the person who gifted them to you then return them accordingly.

That said, shoes develop creases. Unless they are deep creases (which I doubt they are), then it's a non issue. Shoes develop light creases after trying them on so even new firsts will usually have some creases.

2. TonyThe Tailor

TonyThe Tailor Senior member

3. frogwash

frogwash Well-Known Member

Are you saying you're going to buy new ones from Nordstrom's and then "return" your eBay shoes to Nordstrom's for a refund? I hope my English comprehension is what's at fault here and not ethics. If there's a problem with the eBay shoes this should be taken up with the eBay seller.

If I'm just completely misunderstanding the intention, I apologize.

4. Kroaker

Kroaker Senior member

That is the way I read what he said, and if so, he has some serious ethical issues.

5. MrWN

MrWN Well-Known Member

6. MrWN

MrWN Well-Known Member

Usually the AE shoes sold on ebay have been marked... So, you should be weary about doing something like that.

7. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

Not stupid at all. I always condition and polish new shoes before I wear them.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013

8. JDHarman

JDHarman New Member

Hello. I've lurked this forum for a while, and this is my first post, as I need some advice, and I'm a bit of a shoe-care-noob.

I just ordered a pair of Walnut Calf Daltons during the Nordstrom Sale, and I was hoping to get some advice on caring for them as soon as I pull them out of the box. I know there's the huge thread on shoe care, but I was hoping to get some advice directly from someone who already owns the Daltons, or something similar.

What I'm most concerned with is giving them a bit of protection before I even put them on my feet. I've read that it's a good idea to stay away from silicone waterproofing sprays, and that stuff like Obenauf's LP will darken the leather considerably. Will something like the AE Premium Polish (in Walnut, of Course) be sufficient to provide a bit of protection? Also, will that type of polish, when applied to a burnished finish like the Daltons', eventually build up and cover up the darker areas of the burnishing, changing the initial appearance of the boot? I'd like to maintain the burnished finish as much as possible.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

9. wurger

wurger Senior member

Very strange, sorry to ask, did you print out the sizing guide correctly and measured your fee, because UK sizes are normally half a size down compare to US. I have AE PA in US7E, and my Loake Capital F and 026G lasts in UK 6.5s.

and what Loakes do you have, since you wear 8.5 and 9 in them?

10. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

11. wurger

wurger Senior member

It's won't hurt the leather, but I reckon there is no need for new shoes since the factory usually applied enough to last some time.

12. wurger

wurger Senior member

Any wax polish will provide protection as it sits on top of the leather as a layer. If the polish is dark compare to the non burnished parts, yes, it will. So it's generally easier to use light polish, and a darker polish at the toes if you want to build up patina.

As in you can do the burnishing effects yourself.

13. RefleX

RefleX Well-Known Member

Went to Nordstroms and they didn't have my size, so I wound up just ordering a pair of 12D Walnut Strands while I was there. This should keep me occupied for a while. I really don't want any other shoes at the moment.

14. Buddy0329

Buddy0329 Senior member

Would you have any qualms returning a pair of AE's to Nordstrom purchased in December because they no longer fit?

These are McTavishes, that I paid full retail and have a receipt in hand. I wore these at most once a week for a few months on casual Friday's until it felt like they stretched out and now even with thick socks the shoes are too big.

What will they do if they do not have another pair of shoes in my size in stock? Will they size me in a different shoe?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013

15. Ennuis

Ennuis Member

yep. printed everything correctly.

i wear the loake badminton in 9UK G and the herring knightsbridge in 8.5UK G pretty well for example, although the badminton has a little more room at the toes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.