• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDeKelver

Reaction score
Greeting AE friends,

I have McAllister 11E Bourbon Tap Sole which I am looking to trade, or will shortly post for sale. I purchased these this spring during the anniversary sale. They have been worn 5-6 times. I've fiddled with the 5 last this year and will go to an 11.5D. If anyone is in the opposite place as me, please PM and we can discuss.

I would trade for other 5-last non-black classics in 11.5D. I have walnut strands already, but would consider more wings or plain caps like Park or 5th Avenue. Not fussy about the soles.

Regards,

Michael

Busa

Reaction score
Okay- thank you for that information! I will get back to the store right away to get those before I leave town!

Too bad the Renovateur was stripping the color off them- I thought it was a cleaning product only... really glad I tested on the heel and didn't just tear into the toebox with it!!

David Copeland

Reaction score
Dave, you're an odd bird. I say that with not a hint of condescension. Unique perspectives are much needed in any community (especially online message boards). Your ability to hone in on the smallest of details about every situation, while sometimes a bit tiresome and overwhelming, is quite entertaining nonetheless. Cheers to you, my friend.

May I ask what your profession is?
In another thread I authored on the subject of the top 250 films - Member(s) have awarded the prestigious title of being the most pretentious member on the forum. Hmmm . . . so much for my actual professional career. [grin]

Nevertheless, I am pleased to receive your compliment. You, kind sir, demonstrate the ability to disagree with the utmost civility and respect for another's view.

My best,

David

David Copeland

Reaction score
2 other options that will cut your expenses by roughly a third:

1. follow this thread religiously. Members post 2nds sales that will usually get your 1/3 off the MSRP. Some of these shoes come with minor defects, if any. If they are serious, you can always ship back, i think, for free.

2. Nordies has the twice a year sale on select 1st quality models. I can recall the Park Aves go for 220, among others.
Excellent reminder!

And also - many times a $350 AE shoe is available in near-new condition as a "second" for 50% to 75% off.

shartmann

Reaction score
The details are remarkably simple. It's an olive "Neumok" in every spec except as a Strand medallion cap toe instead of a wingtip. I thought it was a very simple request, but it took the CEO to bring this to fruition.

And my thanks to the gentlemen for the kind words (rydenfan & lostron)

Wow, these look great. Not sure I would have even thought of wanting "green Strands", so thanks for posting the pictures. Now I understand why you have been so determined to get this shoe. The leather looks less distressed than the Neumok, and maybe not as soft. Is that true, or do you find them similar to your red Neumoks?

BCer

Reaction score

I've got a little bit of cap-creasing going on here on my Strands. Absolutely LOVE the shoes, and the fit has been confirmed by Nordstrom fitting (no AE store anywhere near me). They feel comfy, certainly in length. If anything, still a bit tight in width, but nothing worrisome and only been worn half a dozen times, so likely not fully broken in. I'm not worried about the cap-creases, but is it normal? SHOULD I be concerned? Thanks everyone!

Still hoping to hear any opinions...

shartmann

Reaction score
You mention they fit you well, and that appears to be the case in the photo. You could go up a size to get a longer shoe, but then they might not fit as well. I'm not sure if it's "normal" and I know some don't like the look as much, but I wouldn't be concerned. I would rather have a pair that fit great than choose a different size just for the creasing. I have a few pair, including the Stand, that do the same thing. This shoe has a longer toe box than others (like the Park Avenue) which makes it more likely to have creases on or in front of the cap line.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm really happy that you finally got this pair of shoes. I know you have been on a quest for it for quite some time.

Thank you. And, yes, I've harassed the AE thread a few times this past year on my quest.

Wow, these look great. Not sure I would have even thought of wanting "green Strands", so thanks for posting the pictures. Now I understand why you have been so determined to get this shoe. The leather looks less distressed than the Neumok, and maybe not as soft. Is that true, or do you find them similar to your red Neumoks?

Thank you. Initially, I was intrigued by the AE makeups (casual leathers, webgems, etc.) but quickly lost interest with all the wingtips. Doing a medallion cap toe seemed like a natural alternative.

The olive leather is just as soft as the red. It looks less distressed, but based on my recollection of in store models it's typical of the green rough leather. The distressed look is partly an effect of the burnishing. It's there but less obvious which I attribute to the darker base color. The red Neumoks have better contrast.

Busa

Reaction score
You called it Wired- guess what Soleil (delightful associate in the Atlanta AE store- wears several AE shoes and boots on her tiny size 5 feet!) showed me this morning when I mentioned your shoes? This, came out about a month ago...
smile.gif

hope you can read the "Strandmok" nameplate- in suede not your smooth leather though...

Allen Edmonds offers a variety of product lines. Many of us come to AE for the classics, the Park Avenue, the McAllister, the Strand, shell offerings . . . boots, loafers, driving moccs. We don't always love all of them, but we find quality, value, and self expression in the make ups that appeal to us.

I saw something in the Rough Collection that appeals to me. It fits my needs. I have two pair of Neumoks (fantastic shoes) and a pair of Ridgeways (just a little different). And I wanted to build on that, but I also wanted a little more variety (not a sea of wingtips in the closet).

I inquired, I appealed, I respectfully requested. My AE store manager tried back channels. But to no avail. I've been trying for about a year. Each hint of a new style brought hope that perhaps I would finally find the shoe I was looking for. Each new release refreshed my disappointment.

Today that all changed with a small cardboard box on my door step. They don't look like much, but these shoes represent a significant victory for me. And at least for today, I have a pair of AEs that are unique.

Thank you, Mr Grangaard, for making this possible. And I hope that everyone participating in the special MTO offer finds as much satisfactiction as I have today. Wear them in good health, gentlemen.

Got me imagining them in cognac red. I wouldn't be surprised if they showed up in the coming year as a new makeup. Those are indeed lookers.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the same pair of strands but mine havent creased like that. Sometimes it helps to set the crease before you break them in. The first few times I wore my eg chelseas they creased and I was semi worried. I had to learn that in end they are shoes and like most goods will wear down and age. Hit them with a little reno, brush like mad, and hope for the best. I wouldn't return them but opinions will vary.

Last edited:

Busa

Reaction score
Since this is an appreciation thread, I hope Mr. Grangaard reads this because I would like to give a shoutout to the Atlanta store on Dunwoody, and Andrew and Soleil in particular. A company is only as good as its people, and these two were exceptional- knowledgeable (Andrew at least reads this thread and quoted from it to me! lol), absolutely professional, and helpful in the extreme. When I asked about a shoe that wasn't in stock, Andrew called around other cities (and is on a first name basis with associates across the country having been sent to several locations for training) and located two pair to Fedex in so I could look at them before I left town.

This is the first AE store I have visited, and I couldn't have been more impressed. I was traveling with my company Chairman who lives and shops in Dubai, he had to buy a pair while we were there as well- claims he tears up shoes very quickly, I dared him to destroy AE's the same as the designer shoes he favors (was wearing a pair of Louis Vittons when we went in, for instance).

My compliments- now I just have to decide whether to go back tonight and buy those damn Navy Neumoks before I leave again for the Dark Continent!! Aargghhh... hey, what's an overweight penalty here and there right??

EDIT: Soleil, if Andrew shows you this, you should post up some of your footwear pictures with the pants you're wearing showing- several have asked about shoes for women on this thread and I think quite a few wives/girlfriends might be happy to see what you can do with these!!
nod[1].gif

For instance, today she was rocking the Fifth Avenue boots in black with a dark skinny jean turned up to show them off... very nice! Give her some encouragement guys!!

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I heard a rumor last August that AE was sampling a Strand variant slated for Spring 2013. The samples included this makeup here

Try to imagine my surprise and delight (keeping in mind that you can change the sole on almost any model). Of course come January 2013, I discovered that this design didn't make the cut. Talk about crushing a man's optimism for the future!

You called it Wired- guess what Soleil (delightful associate in the Atlanta AE store- wears several AE shoes and boots on her tiny size 5 feet!) showed me this morning when I mentioned your shoes? This, came out about a month ago...
smile.gif

hope you can read the "Strandmok" nameplate- in suede not your smooth leather though...

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds offers a variety of product lines. Many of us come to AE for the classics, the Park Avenue, the McAllister, the Strand, shell offerings . . . boots, loafers, driving moccs. We don't always love all of them, but we find quality, value, and self expression in the make ups that appeal to us.

I saw something in the Rough Collection that appeals to me. It fits my needs. I have two pair of Neumoks (fantastic shoes) and a pair of Ridgeways (just a little different). And I wanted to build on that, but I also wanted a little more variety (not a sea of wingtips in the closet).

I inquired, I appealed, I respectfully requested. My AE store manager tried back channels. But to no avail. I've been trying for about a year. Each hint of a new style brought hope that perhaps I would finally find the shoe I was looking for. Each new release refreshed my disappointment.

Today that all changed with a small cardboard box on my door step. They don't look like much, but these shoes represent a significant victory for me. And at least for today, I have a pair of AEs that are unique.

Thank you, Mr Grangaard, for making this possible. And I hope that everyone participating in the special MTO offer finds as much satisfactiction as I have today. Wear them in good health, gentlemen.

First, the shoes look great. I am a big fan of the olive leather.

Second, this seems to be one of the only non-shell MTO shoes that I have seen. Was there a significant up charge for this MTO shoe?

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Need some input. I received my chukkamok seconds, and Kristal advised me there would be a small stain, potentially grease, on the right toebox. She said I could email her a picture and she would give me a discount depending on how bad it was. I really like these boots, they are extremely comfortable, and the stain seems to be something that doesnt come off just by scratching with a fingernail. What are your thoughts? They were 159 and there is a potential discount, on the other hand I could return them and wait for seconds to become available, or just get my money back:
I would probably keep those depending on how much of a discount you'll get. If you return, it may take a while for another to show up in your size. It looks like that leather will patina well so the stain might be hard to notice in the future. It's also good that the stain was near the brogueing where it's less noticeable. If it was on the vamp where the creasing would be it would be more noticeable IMO.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I was wondering when someone would notice that I requested a non-shell MTO. Let's just say that I was prepared to pay a significant premium for a custom spec MTO, but AE gave me a very good price.
First, the shoes look great. I am a big fan of the olive leather.

Second, this seems to be one of the only non-shell MTO shoes that I have seen. Was there a significant up charge for this MTO shoe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Staff online

Forum statistics