• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

Allen Edmonds offers a variety of product lines. Many of us come to AE for the classics, the Park Avenue, the McAllister, the Strand, shell offerings . . . boots, loafers, driving moccs. We don't always love all of them, but we find quality, value, and self expression in the make ups that appeal to us. I saw something in the Rough Collection that appeals to me. It fits my needs. I have two pair of Neumoks (fantastic shoes) and a pair of Ridgeways (just a little different). And I wanted to build on that, but I also wanted a little more variety (not a sea of wingtips in the closet). I inquired, I appealed, I respectfully requested. My AE store manager tried back channels. But to no avail. I've been trying for about a year. Each hint of a new style brought hope that perhaps I would finally find the shoe I was looking for. Each new release refreshed my disappointment. Today that all changed with a small cardboard box on my door step. They don't look like much, but these shoes represent a significant victory for me. And at least for today, I have a pair of AEs that are unique. Thank you, Mr Grangaard, for making this possible. And I hope that everyone participating in the special MTO offer finds as much satisfactiction as I have today. Wear them in good health, gentlemen.
Very nice! Congrats on finally getting the shoes you've wanted for a while.

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

And you know what? While I can't exactly put my thumb on it, there is something about the Black Hills that appeals to me quite a bit more so than the Leeds. So again, thank you very much. AE should put you on the payroll, you're doing a fantastic job marketing the MTO's for many of us here! :nodding:

The Black Hills is on the 5-last while the Leeds is on the 1-last. Perhaps that's why the Black Hills appeals to you more? The standard Black Hills is basically a 5-eyelet version of the Kenilworth with a rubber sole. I think a shell cordovan Black Hills with a Rendenbach sole would make a great MTO shoe.

MarcusJY

Reaction score
Yes, I heard a rumor last August that AE was sampling a Strand variant slated for Spring 2013. The samples included this makeup here

Try to imagine my surprise and delight (keeping in mind that you can change the sole on almost any model). Of course come January 2013, I discovered that this design didn't make the cut. Talk about crushing a man's optimism for the future!
Dang I love that makeup....it's my Alma Mater colors.....oh well maybe one day.

robby

Reaction score
Allen Edmonds offers a variety of product lines. Many of us come to AE for the classics, the Park Avenue, the McAllister, the Strand, shell offerings . . . boots, loafers, driving moccs. We don't always love all of them, but we find quality, value, and self expression in the make ups that appeal to us.

I saw something in the Rough Collection that appeals to me. It fits my needs. I have two pair of Neumoks (fantastic shoes) and a pair of Ridgeways (just a little different). And I wanted to build on that, but I also wanted a little more variety (not a sea of wingtips in the closet).

I inquired, I appealed, I respectfully requested. My AE store manager tried back channels. But to no avail. I've been trying for about a year. Each hint of a new style brought hope that perhaps I would finally find the shoe I was looking for. Each new release refreshed my disappointment.

Today that all changed with a small cardboard box on my door step. They don't look like much, but these shoes represent a significant victory for me. And at least for today, I have a pair of AEs that are unique.

Thank you, Mr Grangaard, for making this possible. And I hope that everyone participating in the special MTO offer finds as much satisfactiction as I have today. Wear them in good health, gentlemen.

These are beautiful. I always thought the Neumok would be better in a captoe and these have convinced me of it. What did it take to get these made? I'd love a pair in blue or red.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talked to our friends at Jeffersonville Ohio Outlet today and wanted to remind everyone that the sale ends on the 27th. There were a couple new shell shoes added to the list in my size compared to the last time I got one a few weeks ago. Now I just have to make up my mind which ones....

[email protected]
(740)-948-9033
dark brown cordovan dundee
burgundy cordovan leeds
tan suede amok

:)
Outstanding selections and congrats on the new shoes! I hope they turn out well for you.
Allen Edmonds offers a variety of product lines. Many of us come to AE for the classics, the Park Avenue, the McAllister, the Strand, shell offerings . . . boots, loafers, driving moccs. We don't always love all of them, but we find quality, value, and self expression in the make ups that appeal to us.

I saw something in the Rough Collection that appeals to me. It fits my needs. I have two pair of Neumoks (fantastic shoes) and a pair of Ridgeways (just a little different). And I wanted to build on that, but I also wanted a little more variety (not a sea of wingtips in the closet).

I inquired, I appealed, I respectfully requested. My AE store manager tried back channels. But to no avail. I've been trying for about a year. Each hint of a new style brought hope that perhaps I would finally find the shoe I was looking for. Each new release refreshed my disappointment.

Today that all changed with a small cardboard box on my door step. They don't look like much, but these shoes represent a significant victory for me. And at least for today, I have a pair of AEs that are unique.

Thank you, Mr Grangaard, for making this possible. And I hope that everyone participating in the special MTO offer finds as much satisfactiction as I have today. Wear them in good health, gentlemen.

What a great job PhiPsi32 and congrats! I agree with you about wingtips, after awhile it becomes redundant. I just ordered the McAllister in cappuccino but I think it will be my last wingtip, I just have so many now. Great choice in shoe and color.
In another thread I authored on the subject of the top 250 films - Member(s) have awarded the prestigious title of being the most pretentious member on the forum. Hmmm . . . so much for my actual professional career. [grin]

Nevertheless, I am pleased to receive your compliment. You, kind sir, demonstrate the ability to disagree with the utmost civility and respect for another's view.

My best,

David
My 2 cents is that OptoDoc and David are both outstanding gentleman, and contribute much to this thread. Thank you for doing that.

MDeKelver

Reaction score
Just wait for Suede strands in the fall.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

PK35216

Reaction score

I've got a little bit of cap-creasing going on here on my Strands. Absolutely LOVE the shoes, and the fit has been confirmed by Nordstrom fitting (no AE store anywhere near me). They feel comfy, certainly in length. If anything, still a bit tight in width, but nothing worrisome and only been worn half a dozen times, so likely not fully broken in. I'm not worried about the cap-creases, but is it normal? SHOULD I be concerned? Thanks everyone!

Still hoping to hear any opinions...
My first impression is that the shoe is too long. I have experience with several pairs of that exact shoe. My first pair was 9D and it fit pretty well, and it barely creased anywhere after about one year. I thought I later figured out that 9.5C was my better fit in 5 last shoes, so I sold that one and bought 9.5C during Nordstrom sale. Wore that for a few months, but it started creasing above the cap (ie toward the toe), and it fit loosely. I called Nordstrom, and even after months of wear, they replaced with a different 9.5C strand (I own many 9.5C 5 last shoes and they all fit better than the first one from Nordstrom). That pair fits better, like most others I own, and I have had no above cap creasing thus far. I figured that first pair from Nordstrom was just an anomaly and wasn't fitted as tightly during the lasting process (as if I know what I'm talking about).

However, the width on your pair looks pretty good to me. I wonder if sizing down 1/2 size on length but keeping same width might work?

Warning: I am no expert, but I did stay at a Holday Inn Express last night, and I do have a ridiculously large collection of AE shoes at this point.

Busa

Reaction score
Oh- here is the aforementioned female AE associate wearing the Fifth Avenue boots- is this cute or what??
smile.gif

I had to go back and buy these- DAMN they are comfortable, just the softest leather you have ever felt, had to wear them out of the store...

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These are beautiful. I always thought the Neumok would be better in a captoe and these have convinced me of it. What did it take to get these made? I'd love a pair in blue or red.

These shoes (macktasticgdogg's as well as others still in production) were made at the direction of Allen Edmond's CEO, Paul Grangaard.

What a great job PhiPsi32 and congrats! I agree with you about wingtips, after awhile it becomes redundant. I just ordered the McAllister in cappuccino but I think it will be my last wingtip, I just have so many now. Great choice in shoe and color.

Thank you, sir, for the kind words. On the abundance of wingtips, if someone was to go heavy on any one style, the wingtip is a great choice. Wingtips just work very well under a variety of circumstances. So I see why AE would lean on that design. You can have seven or eight pairs of wingtips and get away with it for daily work and off duty wear.

jbcohen

Reaction score
I just took delivery of my first pair of Allen Emonds shoes a pair of Fiesole's that I bought on clearance. I have not really worn them as yet, I will do so when I return to the office on Tuesday but from what I have been able to see from trying them on in my den they seem to be everything that you all make them out to be, not to mention being the only pair of Italian leather shoes that I own or have ever owned.

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
jbcohen - I hope you enjoy the shoes. I hadn't seen them so I had to look them up. They look very nice.
PhiPsi32 - great looking shoe, love the Olive Green

Hope everyone is doing well. I have added one more shoe since my last post a few weeks ago, a black dress shoe- Delray with vtread soles for the few occasions I need a black dress shoe. The vtread soles should be pretty versatile in all weather. I currently have the Elgin, Bradley, Katmai and now Delray from AE. After my first post, Cold Iron suggested Shell Boots J The shell fever- trying to avoid it for now. But I love the looks of the boots and shoes in shells, however the shoes I have are already a lot better and dressier than my peers at work. I work in IT with a very casual dress code, a lot of jeans and casual shoes I have been thinking about Paul Grangaard’s offer and while I love all the shell combinations and pictures coming out, I was thinking of a more casual shoe. More along PhiPsi32 new Olive strandmok but more casual. I want to add some more blue to my collection other than a suede Johnson Murphy shoe I bought for summer. I have bought and loved the Blue Neumok but the leather sole is just too firm for me for an everyday shoe (rehabbing a herniated disc) and had to return it. Has anyone seen or own the Neumok with the Clare rubber sole? For Paul’s offer I was thinking of maybe the Neumok blue leather in the Leeds/Rapid City with the red gumlite sole. Another combination may be the neumok blue leather on the Aberdeen shoe with either the rubber sole or gumlite. Another possibility would be the Chukkamok or Banchory. Looking for a softer sole where possible. Anyone have any other ideas for the blue Neumok leather? Thanks

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
DuckOB,

Keep in mind that shell is very versatile. I work in extremely casual startup company environments and I wear shell regularly with jeans and a button down. Obviously you need to do whatever works for your style but don't be afraid of shell :)

DuckOB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks rydenfan, just afraid of the pricetag :) I hope to see some in person when I go down to Plano next month and visit an AE store. Have a great memorial day weekend.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! You've picked up a sweet pair of shoes and at a nice discount too. That's an all around winner.
I just took delivery of my first pair of Allen Emonds shoes a pair of Fiesole's that I bought on clearance. I have not really worn them as yet, I will do so when I return to the office on Tuesday but from what I have been able to see from trying them on in my den they seem to be everything that you all make them out to be, not to mention being the only pair of Italian leather shoes that I own or have ever owned.

I like the design ideas you're proposing. If I may point out something that might help, you can change the sole on almost any style without too much fuss. The AE store or telephone agent can process that request. If you want a full custom spec shoe, then you would have to go MTO. I don't know if AE is still offering this.
jbcohen - I hope you enjoy the shoes. I hadn't seen them so I had to look them up. They look very nice.
PhiPsi32 - great looking shoe, love the Olive Green

Hope everyone is doing well. I have added one more shoe since my last post a few weeks ago, a black dress shoe- Delray with vtread soles for the few occasions I need a black dress shoe. The vtread soles should be pretty versatile in all weather. I currently have the Elgin, Bradley, Katmai and now Delray from AE. After my first post, Cold Iron suggested Shell Boots J The shell fever- trying to avoid it for now. But I love the looks of the boots and shoes in shells, however the shoes I have are already a lot better and dressier than my peers at work. I work in IT with a very casual dress code, a lot of jeans and casual shoes I have been thinking about Paul Grangaard’s offer and while I love all the shell combinations and pictures coming out, I was thinking of a more casual shoe. More along PhiPsi32 new Olive strandmok but more casual. I want to add some more blue to my collection other than a suede Johnson Murphy shoe I bought for summer. I have bought and loved the Blue Neumok but the leather sole is just too firm for me for an everyday shoe (rehabbing a herniated disc) and had to return it. Has anyone seen or own the Neumok with the Clare rubber sole? For Paul’s offer I was thinking of maybe the Neumok blue leather in the Leeds/Rapid City with the red gumlite sole. Another combination may be the neumok blue leather on the Aberdeen shoe with either the rubber sole or gumlite. Another possibility would be the Chukkamok or Banchory. Looking for a softer sole where possible. Anyone have any other ideas for the blue Neumok leather? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads