• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Allen Edmonds offers a variety of product lines. Many of us come to AE for the classics, the Park Avenue, the McAllister, the Strand, shell offerings . . . boots, loafers, driving moccs. We don't always love all of them, but we find quality, value, and self expression in the make ups that appeal to us.

I saw something in the Rough Collection that appeals to me. It fits my needs. I have two pair of Neumoks (fantastic shoes) and a pair of Ridgeways (just a little different). And I wanted to build on that, but I also wanted a little more variety (not a sea of wingtips in the closet).

I inquired, I appealed, I respectfully requested. My AE store manager tried back channels. But to no avail. I've been trying for about a year. Each hint of a new style brought hope that perhaps I would finally find the shoe I was looking for. Each new release refreshed my disappointment.

Today that all changed with a small cardboard box on my door step. They don't look like much, but these shoes represent a significant victory for me. And at least for today, I have a pair of AEs that are unique.

Thank you, Mr Grangaard, for making this possible. And I hope that everyone participating in the special MTO offer finds as much satisfactiction as I have today. Wear them in good health, gentlemen.

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kudos on the conceptualization alone. I took mr.g up on his offer as well. They even made a matching walnut cordovan belt for me. Amazing c/s.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Allen Edmonds offers a variety of product lines. Many of us come to AE for the classics, the Park Avenue, the McAllister, the Strand, shell offerings . . . boots, loafers, driving moccs. We don't always love all of them, but we find quality, value, and self expression in the make ups that appeal to us. I saw something in the Rough Collection that appeals to me. It fits my needs. I have two pair of Neumoks (fantastic shoes) and a pair of Ridgeways (just a little different). And I wanted to build on that, but I also wanted a little more variety (not a sea of wingtips in the closet). I inquired, I appealed, I respectfully requested. My AE store manager tried back channels. But to no avail. I've been trying for about a year. Each hint of a new style brought hope that perhaps I would finally find the shoe I was looking for. Each new release refreshed my disappointment. Today that all changed with a small cardboard box on my door step. They don't look like much, but these shoes represent a significant victory for me. And at least for today, I have a pair of AEs that are unique. Thank you, Mr Grangaard, for making this possible. And I hope that everyone participating in the special MTO offer finds as much satisfactiction as I have today. Wear them in good health, gentlemen.
Congrats! Wear in good health. What are the details of the makeup?

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Wear in good health.

What are the details of the makeup?

The details are remarkably simple. It's an olive "Neumok" in every spec except as a Strand medallion cap toe instead of a wingtip. I thought it was a very simple request, but it took the CEO to bring this to fruition.

And my thanks to the gentlemen for the kind words (rydenfan & lostron)

Last edited:

WiredandTired

Reaction score

The details are remarkably simple.  It's an olive "Neumok" in every spec except as a Strand medallion cap toe instead of a wingtip.  I thought it was a very simple request, but it took the CEO to bring this to fruition.

Got me imagining them in cognac red. I wouldn't be surprised if they showed up in the coming year as a new makeup. Those are indeed lookers.

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Damn- URGENT question, about to leave back to Africa Sunday for three months... Just bought these in Bourbon, got BAD advice on polishing- said to polish with Walnut, then use dark brown for the "burnished" parts. Well, I just used a touch of Renovateur to condition first and it stripped the color from Bourbon to Walnut on the tiny spot of the heel that I tested it on. So this means if I polish with Walnut it will ALL look Walnut, no?? What color should I use on Bourbon calf, and should I NOT use Reno ever, as it will strip the beautiful color and leave me to try to duplicate it again? Do I just use neutral polish?? Help!! Dammit, I love the Bourbon and don't want to eff it up!!
I have the Bourbon Flatiron and Strand. On both shoes, I used AE cleaner / conditioner then followed with AE neutral carnauba polish. No problems and the shoes look great. Chris

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got me imagining them in cognac red. I wouldn't be surprised if they showed up in the coming year as a new makeup. Those are indeed lookers.

Hmmm, I'm a big fan of the red leather make ups. I already have the Neumok and Sedona in red. Otherwise I'd have asked that too . . .

frogwash

Reaction score
I was planning on taking up Paul's wonderful MTO offer on a brownish (walnut or Capp) shell Kenilworths. I normally wear 12E in the 5-Last but I have seen many a mention to size down on the Kenilworth so I first ordered some black Keniworth seconds in 11 1/2E to check these out first. When they arrived they were too tight, and as a side not--they bowed out at the ankles. I attributed the gaping to the incorrect fitment, as I have never experienced this before. So, I sent those back for for replacement with 12E and also confirmed my order for the Cappuccino Shell Kenilworth in 12E. My replacement black Kenilworth arrived and while the fit and feel was great, these also bowed out, though not nearly as much as the 11 1/2's. I was now worried about my shells that I had just ordered and contacted Allison at AE. While I've never had any bowing in any of my other AE's, they are almost all balmorals or boots. Here's what Allison said: "If you have a low arch the 3 eyelet blucher style may not come high enough up on your foot and therefore doesn’t wrap as tightly around your foot/ankle area." I believe that this it exactly the cause. First off, when I was a child I had really flat feet, but as I got older and by curling my toes in while walking I eventually did develop arches, but they're definitely not high, or probably even normal arching. Also with the 12E Kenilworths now, if I curl my toes in and back, thereby raising my arch and the top center of my foot just a little bit higher, the gaping goes away! While this doesn't exactly explain the bowing for those who get it with the PA's with more eyelets, it does confirm that it is related to the individual person's foot shape and therefore is a fitment issue and not a quality issue. It also explains why only some have a problem with it, while most do not. As far as my shells go, Allison made the suggestion to try out the Black Hills, also a PTB, but with two more eyelets to hopefully make up for the deficit in my arches/foot shape. As an example of AE's exemplary customer service, she's sending me out a new pair of those, just to try on and see if i like them; and we'll go from there. While I'm disappointed not to be getting the Kenilworths and to have to wait longer, this is more than made up by the way the fine folks at AE go far above and above and beyond to make sure there customers are exceedingly happy!
icon_gu_b_slayer%5B1%5D.gif
That is great customer service and one reason I keep coming back to AE. Hope the Black Hills work out for you and a MTO shell pair is in your near future. I have them and really like them, never would have thought to have a pair made in shell but it would certainly work as a replacement for the Kenilworths IMO.
I hadn't really considered them either and when I looked them up on AE's website, they looked kind of pointy. But, I decided to trust Allison figuring that she knows what she is talking about. But it also occurred to me that these might be kind of Leeds-ish and if so, then I might as well get Leeds as opposed to having custom make up. Naturally, when I went to check out real life pictures, you had posted some side-by-sides:
Any love for BlackHillz, the rough version of the Leeds?
Those look good. Can't even tell it's a rubber sole from that pic. I love my Leeds. Black Hills would be a great foul-weather alternative.
You bet. And I have never seen a real picture of the Black Hills in black, thank you for that! There seems to be some variations in color and distressing on the walnut versions. Mine were pretty well distressed so I went ahead and treated them with HDLP and they are totally waterproof now. It actually brought out the variations more however. Which is great for a casual shoe but not so much as a Leeds foul weather replacement. Still I like them a lot for the fall and spring at work in bad weather and all year with jeans. With my black calf and shell Leeds-
And you know what? While I can't exactly put my thumb on it, there is something about the Black Hills that appeals to me quite a bit more so than the Leeds. So again, thank you very much. AE should put you on the payroll, you're doing a fantastic job marketing the MTO's for many of us here! :nodding:

AdamAdam

Reaction score
The details are remarkably simple. It's an olive "Neumok" in every spec except as a Strand medallion cap toe instead of a wingtip. I thought it was a very simple request, but it took the CEO to bring this to fruition.

Good call on these. I was also recently looking for a casual shoe and while I love the Neumok and McTavish I feel like my entire wardrobe would end up being wingtips. The Strandmok only comes in suede at the moment so I ended up getting a pair of discontinued Elgins from the shoe bank. Not only are customers being satisfied with this offer it's also research and development for AE that costs them virtually nothing. Like a previous poster said, some of these will probably make it into the lineup if they get requested enough times.

David Copeland

Reaction score
How do you folks manage to afford Allen Emonds I am certainly not wealthy and $350 for a pair of shoes is a lot of dollars for me and my family?
Start with exposing where your in come went in the last 90 days - a complete detailed itemized list. Using plastic debit cards keeps a good record, but if not - keep all receipts so the money is tracked.

Once you can see where the money has gone - then multiply the monthly amount by 12 to get the annual cost. For some, smoking can cost $15 a day/$5000 per year. Or, movie rental habits at $3/day = over $1000 a year. Or cell phones at $50 to $100 per mo = $600 to $1200 a year, or cable/sat at $75 to $150/mo = $900 to $1800 year, and gasoline, rent, utilities, food, eating out, shopping addictions, and the list goes on. I have seen folks shave off hundreds, thousands by getting serious about where the money goes. One guy spends $250/mo so all his kids and wife have smart phones. Another guy owns a Walmart TracFone for $10 and keeps his prepaid minutes down to $7 per mo. Another fellow cancelled cable and bought a $100 Roku device to watch free TV and news programs.

Also, Dave Ramsey has some excellent ideas too. His daily radio show is available for free on the internet after the live broadcast.

The more we study economics, the more we can repeat good economic actions. If we do not study failures in history, we are doomed to repeat it.

$1 per day will get you an Allen Edmonds shoe per year. In five years, you will arrive. Will it be with five pair of quality AE's, or five pair of cheap broken down version?

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Start with exposing where your in come went in the last 90 days - a complete detailed itemized list. Using plastic debit cards keeps a good record, but if not - keep all receipts so the money is tracked.

Dave, you're an odd bird. I say that with not a hint of condescension. Unique perspectives are much needed in any community (especially online message boards). Your ability to hone in on the smallest of details about every situation, while sometimes a bit tiresome and overwhelming, is quite entertaining nonetheless. Cheers to you, my friend.

May I ask what your profession is?

Last edited:

OptoDoc

Reaction score

I'm really happy that you finally got this pair of shoes. I know you have been on a quest for it for quite some time.

Last edited:

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Once you can see where the money has gone - then multiply the monthly amount by 12 to get the annual cost. For some, smoking can cost $15 a day/$5000 per year. Or, movie rental habits at $3/day = over $1000 a year. Or cell phones at $50 to $100 per mo = $600 to $1200 a year, or cable/sat at $75 to $150/mo = $900 to $1800 year, and gasoline, rent, utilities, food, eating out, shopping addictions, and the list goes on. I have seen folks shave off hundreds, thousands by getting serious about where the money goes. One guy spends $250/mo so all his kids and wife have smart phones. Another guy owns a Walmart TracFone for $10 and keeps his prepaid minutes down to $7 per mo. Another fellow cancelled cable and bought a $100 Roku device to watch free TV and news programs.

Also, Dave Ramsey has some excellent ideas too. His daily radio show is available for free on the internet after the live broadcast.

The more we study economics, the more we can repeat good economic actions. If we do not study failures in history, we are doomed to repeat it.

$1 per day will get you an Allen Edmonds shoe per year. In five years, you will arrive. Will it be with five pair of quality AE's, or five pair of cheap broken down version?

2 other options that will cut your expenses by roughly a third:

1. follow this thread religiously. Members post 2nds sales that will usually get your 1/3 off the MSRP. Some of these shoes come with minor defects, if any. If they are serious, you can always ship back, i think, for free.

2. Nordies has the twice a year sale on select 1st quality models. I can recall the Park Aves go for 220, among others.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads