• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

BullseyeOr

Reaction score

Nice line up Shartmann. Can you please share how the RL Sanderson fit compares to the AE Strand and what size/width are both shoes? I've been meaning to purchase a pair of Sanderson but I am a not sure about the size/width. I got some feedback from a few people here previously on the same question, I'm trying to get as much info on fit before I make the purchase. I am told it fits similar to the AE last #5 however i should go up a width... is this your experience as well? Thanks.

I just picked up a pair of Sandersons this week. I purchased them in the same size (10E) as my Strands. I find that the Sandersons are narrower, so going up in width seems correct.

shartmann

Reaction score
Nice line up Shartmann. Can you please share how the RL Sanderson fit compares to the AE Strand and what size/width are both shoes? I've been meaning to purchase a pair of Sanderson but I am a not sure about the size/width. I got some feedback from a few people here previously on the same question, I'm trying to get as much info on fit before I make the purchase. I am told it fits similar to the AE last #5 however i should go up a width... is this your experience as well? Thanks.

I just picked up a pair of Sandersons this week. I purchased them in the same size (10E) as my Strands. I find that the Sandersons are narrower, so going up in width seems correct.

Thanks hollyb. The Strands are a 12.5D, and the Sandersons are a 12D. I had the Strands first, and would likely have gotten a 12.5 in the Sanderson but it did not exist. So I tried the 12D, and while it is a bit tighter on the sides it wasn't too bad. I actually prefer this slight snugness and likely could wear a 12D in the Strands (the Jeffersons in the picture that I just purchased are a 12D). So at least for my foot, the same size in each works. I also purchased the brown RL Slaton cap-toe during the same sale, and it fits about the same. I really like both of these models and I'm glad I bought them. The tan Sanderson is pretty versatile, and I have worn them with casual dress pants and I also think they look nice with jeans. It would work with wool dress pants too, but I usually pick the Strands for these.

BullseyeOr, how did you get the Sanderson in an E width? I didn't see any of these available when I purchased mine, and on the RL site they only list D widths. It would have been nice to try a 12E just to see if it fit any better, but overall I'm happy with the 12D.

GentlemanJohnny

Reaction score
I haven't been on here in a while and there are 16+ pages of posts that I don't feel like tediously sifting through.....

Just wanted to chime in on the CEO's offer for custom orders. I've been in contact with a representative and they have started production on custom-sized Winhalls with J&R soles. They estimated 8 weeks until it is complete and ready for shipping. They didn't add any charges when I asked for J&R soles and they waived the usual custom-order fee. I also requested a pair of Mora double-monks in shell (for later on and they made the same promises).

So it seems that they certainly followed-through with their claims. I'll post pics once they arrive in a couple of months.

~Johnny

rickrone

Reaction score
Preston and Sanibel
i do like the sanibel, but the patriot is such a great deal.

sanibel retail is 250 on sale for 169, i save 81, 32% savings
patriot retail is 345 on sale for 179, i save 166, 48% savings

what would you do in my position. this will be used with khaki shorts. water can come into play by the pool or rain as well.

hollyb

Reaction score

Thanks hollyb. The Strands are a 12.5D, and the Sandersons are a 12D. I had the Strands first, and would likely have gotten a 12.5 in the Sanderson but it did not exist. So I tried the 12D, and while it is a bit tighter on the sides it wasn't too bad. I actually prefer this slight snugness and likely could wear a 12D in the Strands (the Jeffersons in the picture that I just purchased are a 12D). So at least for my foot, the same size in each works. I also purchased the brown RL Slaton cap-toe during the same sale, and it fits about the same. I really like both of these models and I'm glad I bought them. The tan Sanderson is pretty versatile, and I have worn them with casual dress pants and I also think they look nice with jeans. It would work with wool dress pants too, but I usually pick the Strands for these.  

BullseyeOr, how did you get the Sanderson in an E width? I didn't see any of these available when I purchased mine, and on the RL site they only list D widths. It would have been nice to try a 12E just to see if it fit any better, but overall I'm happy with the 12D. 

Gentlemen, thank you for your response! Looks like I will try my last #5 size and go up a width.
Shartmann - try the AE shoebank for the Sanderson in an E width, will be 2Q though.

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a couple of belts from Equus in northern England. They have an affiliate thread here at sf.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/260644/...leather-belts-official-affiliate-thread/0_100

I was drawn to their burgundy bridle leather belt as it was a subtle shade. I was hoping it would pair well with AE's burgundy shell, Alden's color 8 and perhaps even dark brown. I'm not one that requires a perfect match between belt & footwear as long as the colors fall in the same family. I am happy to report that as expected, it works quite well with the Alden & AE burgundy shades. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it also works well [IMO] with dark brown footwear like cigar shell and AE's brown calfskin offerings.

For reference here's a quick shot of the West End Bridle belt in burgundy with brass buckle.

Not that you guys need a caption here but...

L - R:

AE Tresana in "Cabernet Brown" (it's a real dark brown with hints of red/burgundy in the sun)
Alden shell Cap Toe boot in color #8
AE shell Macneil in burgundy
Alden shell PTB in cigar

And a link to Equus' site:

http://www.equusleather.co.uk/index.php/Belts/West-End-Bridle-Leather-Belt/flypage.tpl.html

Note that ordering from the states allows us to deduct the VAT. My only regret with the entire process was why I waited so long to order from Charlie at Equus. Belts are made to order and take a few weeks.

Last edited:

rickrone

Reaction score
I recently picked up a couple of belts from Equus in northern England. They have an affiliate thread here at sf.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/260644/...leather-belts-official-affiliate-thread/0_100

I was drawn to their burgundy bridle leather belt as it was a subtle shade. I was hoping it would pair well with AE's burgundy shell, Alden's color 8 and perhaps even dark brown. I'm not one that requires a perfect match between belt & footwear as long as the colors fall in the same family. I am happy to report that as expected, it works quite well with the Alden & AE burgundy shades. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it also works well [IMO] with dark brown footwear like cigar shell and AE's brown calfskin offerings.

For reference here's a quick shot of the West End Bridle belt in burgundy with brass buckle.

Not that you guys need a caption here but...

L - R:

AE Tresana in "Cabernet Brown" (it's a real dark brown with hints of red/burgundy in the sun)
Alden shell Cap Toe boot in color #8
AE shell Macneil in burgundy
Alden shell PTB in cigar

And a link to Equus' site:

http://www.equusleather.co.uk/index.php/Belts/West-End-Bridle-Leather-Belt/flypage.tpl.html

Note that ordering from the states allows us to deduct the VAT. My only regret with the entire process was why I waited so long to order from Charlie at Equus. Belts are made to order and take a few weeks.
your next job is to polish that belt :)

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I wanted to ask this very question.

I bought a pair in D width (sized up half a size from my usual size when ordering E widths) from RL when they had that huge site sale (got firsts for ~$315) but then returned those when I got a pair of Sanderson seconds during this most recent sale in the same size for $159 (the only "blemish" was one tiny patch of lighter coloration of the leather near the opening where your ankle is, which easily corrected itself with some conditioner cleaner and premium polish, so now they look just like firsts).

I would've loved to have been able to get ahold of the Sandersons in an E width.

itsmejson

Reaction score
I just received a pair of Snuff Suede Amoks size 9.5D, however the length is a little short.
Did anyone purcahse a snuff suede size 10D that may need to go down in length?

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i do like the sanibel, but the patriot is such a great deal.

sanibel retail is 250 on sale for 169, i save 81, 32% savings
patriot retail is 345 on sale for 179, i save 166, 48% savings

what would you do in my position. this will be used with khaki shorts. water can come into play by the pool or rain as well.

I would buy them based on what you like, not what has the higher % off. I do like the Patriot though, just not with shorts, at least for me. The Sanibel has a partial Danite sole, which will be better than the all-leather sole of the Patriot around a pool.

If you can afford both, the Patriots are still nice, but I would just wear them with long pants.

Edit to add: I'm not sure if the Preston is still listed on the website. It looks a lot like the Sanibel but in brown chromoexcel leather with contrast stitching and an all-leather sole. I got a pair on closeout a couple of months ago.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads