Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frogwash

frogwash Well-Known Member

Thank you all for the input. That reminded me that I have some Broadstreets with insoles because they are too large also. While I really like that shoe aesthetically, I only very rarely wear them due to the fit being too large. I appreciate the validation that I should return them.

Last edited: May 18, 2013

2. crosswound

crosswound Senior member

the brown cordovan allen edmonds has it is the same color as cigar?

3. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

My Walnut Grain AE MacNeil's. One of my favorite pairs (I have 9 so far) - wear them with slacks/sportcoats, as well as (occasionally) jeans. Fit great, super comfortable and love the double oak sole
    J
    [​IMG]

4. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

That is my next pair of Allen Edmonds. I have been thinking about them for a while and your photo just put me over the edge.

Chris

5. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

I'm not up on the various shades of brown shell that AE has at their disposal, but my recently acquired brown patriots are very close to my alden cigar chukkas (just missing the slight olive undertones that the chukkas have)

6. wohwoh

wohwoh Well-Known Member

Can shoes bought from the Jefferson Outlet be returned to Allen Edmond's Retail locations?

7. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Yes, Kristle confirmed that when I asked her. Its faster than shipping it back.

Also, does anyone have pics of the chocolate or snuff amoks in person? The amazon ones are terrible

8. wohwoh

wohwoh Well-Known Member

That's odd...I just called my local AE store located in Costa Mesa and they said they will not take them back...[​IMG]

9. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

I found my brown shell Patriots to be almost identical in color to my cigar shell Alden LWBs. Here's a picture I posted before. The LWB in the center and the Patriot on the right:

[​IMG]

There's usually a lot of variation within each shell color though. My brother has a pair of cigar shell NST bluchers that a much darker than my LWBs.

10. kwhitelaw

kwhitelaw Senior member

i can post a pic of the snuff later tonight

11. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Nope, I compared my shell samples from AE to all of Alden shoes just to see the difference. My cigar at least has more olive tones to it than the cappuccino/truffle. Additionally my ravello looks far different than any of the samples I received. I have the dark brown burgundy walnut and cappuccino.

12. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Vin
    Vincenzo at shoe bank told me that while some may, individual retailers don't sell seconds in store so they take a hit shipping back to shoe bank.

13. AdamAdam

AdamAdam Senior member

Kentyman, quick update on these shoes. I have a pair of walnut that I bought about 4 weeks before these and have worn about 14 times. I've worn my merlot only twice and I notice a ridge in the same place as yours. On both sets I'm getting the normal creasing across the vamp where I would expect. But on the merlot I'm also getting creasing across the toe in the same spot you saw your ridge. It doesn't bother me at all but just thought it was interesting. Both sets are same size and width. The only thing I can think of is that the walnut are traditional leather sole and the merlot are the newer combo sole. Maybe the absorbs force differently when I walk and therefore creases the shoe at a different spot. I love the combo sole, FWIW!

14. shartmann

shartmann Senior member

I don't have the RL Saunders but do have the tan RL Sanderson, so maybe this comparison will be helpful. The Sanderson is more tan than the Strands, which have more of an orange hue. In addition, the Sanderson has more burnishing so the toes are darker. My guess is if I cleaned and polished both pair the same way the colors would become similar over time. I really like the Saunders and actually ordered it in brown a few months ago (as seconds from AE). But I was sent the brown Sanderson by mistake, and then all the Saunders were sold out. This line from RL is really nice, and the brown pair was in perfect condition so I ended up keeping them.

[​IMG]

Strand (left) vs RL Sanderson.

[​IMG]

Here is my entire walnut/tan lineup. From left: shell Dalton, Jefferson, Strand, RL Sanderson. The Jeffersons are right out of the box as I just got them today. They are seconds, I think mainly due to the uneven burnishing and some wrinkled leather on the sides. They appear a bit darker than the strands, and also with heavier burnishing. For those that were asking about differences, one other item that I had not heard mentioned before is that they came with thicker shoe laces. I don't know if that's better or not, they look nice but need to see if they stay tied.

15. theh00d

theh00d Senior member

2 quick questions
    How much does PA, Strand, and Macneil usually go for during the nordstrom anniversary sale?
    Is it appropriate to wear the macneil while working at a architect/designer office? Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.