• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Glad it worked out for you! The JAB shoe trees are the same as AE, Woodlore, Nordstrom, etc. and JAB puts them on sale the most of everywhere I think.

Seconds are a crapshoot, quite honestly. You pay significantly less than full retail for first quality, and it seems a lot of the time, the "defects" are not noticeable at all. Seconds are simply shoes for which the manufacturer would not feel comfortable charging full retail price, due to any number of issues that might crop up in the raw materials or during the manufacturing process.

Sometimes, the defects do not matter (see comments above about discoloration on the tongue of a boot, or small creases on the vamp, where the shoes will crease anyway). One of my pair of seconds for example has the insole upside down (in other words, no "Allen Edmonds" on it - just blank). By the same token, I have seen or tried on other seconds where the defect was quite noticeable, and prevented me from buying the shoes. It seems with the Wolverine boots, most were in pretty good shape, with a couple of them having problems too large to warrant purchasing, even at the discount. Good luck with yours and let us know how you fare!

Good point - maybe I need to discuss that with them
smile.gif

On a related point, I trust my comments and few "heads-up" posts on this thread haven't been an issue with anyone here; as I hope you can see, I am a fan of the brand and of my favorite SAs and outlet; and have no ulterior motive other than to support them.

You know, I've often wondered if some of these "seconds" with unbelievably trivial defects are in fact firsts that are returned by new SF posters due to said defect that will ultimately polish out. As many posts as we've seen where new AE's are examined under the microscope and returned, I have to think this is part of the steady supply of seconds. So maybe we should stimulate the seconds market by encouraging more of the noobs to return their firsts with trivial defects?

Last edited:

supernsx

Reaction score

Yes the premium polish has cream in it so would darken a bit faster than just wax. The suggestion to clean them first is to allow the wax or cream have a better "bite" or purchase into the leather. The Krause surface is smooth but the area in the end of the leather that holds the eyelets is exposed like end grain in wood. Mine are brighter raspberry color than the rest of the shoe along the end grain of the leather. That area and along the top of the boot which is exposed will likely absorb anything you use at a faster and at a different rate. But I think the look will be good when it is done. Good luck!

If someone is planning to do this with their Krause boots in Russet, please post some before and after photos. I don't comfortable on doing it without some good visual instructions. Thanks!

zinc2162

Reaction score
Yes they are indeed comfortable and very versatile if your wardrobe consists of odd trousers and dress shirts.
Haha I gotta be careful! Any update on your AE purchase progress? I recall you were trying to find Cliftons in your size from the Shoe Bank.
From what I have heard the Elgin fits a half size large. So maybe that is why you are finding them a tad long. Maybe post pictures of you wearing them as well so people can evaluate the fit.
Those look nice, especially for the price.

I haven't had a chance to contact the Shoe Bank yet. Still trying to figure out the size first.

zinc2162

Reaction score
Similar to several other posters, the Krause I got have some visible creases on the sides and on the tongue. For this price, I think there are likely some minor problems with the boots.

In terms of sizing, I wear Strand in 9D and I am good with 8.5D with the Krause.
First off, thanks Bucksfan for the sale notification...got 4 pairs of shoe trees for about the cost of 1 pair (plus some other stuff for my winter wardrobe).

Second, based on the positive mentions from this thread I went ahead and contacted the Jeffersonville outlet and they said they'd be receiving a Krause boot in 7D in about a week...I know that size doesn't apply to most of you but it might also mean that they're getting other sizes, too. In case you were wondering.

Also, they quoted me a very low price...I'll just say it was below $200...that's about half of what it seems to be going for new (http://wingtip.com/product/wolverine/krause-boot/37459)...I know they offer really good deals on seconds (based on what I inferred from this thread) but does that seem too low to some of you? Should I expect a bunch of blemishes or misplaced stitching? I know a lot of you guys purchased really good seconds from this venue so I'm hoping that this isn't too good to be true...

~Johnny

Storm33

Reaction score
My burgundy shell Patriots arrived yesterday - nice turnaround time...I ordered them the day before Thanksgiving. I was too busy to get them out of the box yesterday, and finally had a chance to try them on at lunch time today. I happened to be wearing my burgundy shell MacNeils (which are about a year old) so I thought I'd share a comparison shot of present burgundy shell finish vs. past:

Please note that the Patriots are fresh out of the box and will shine up when I get them home and brush them.

Sizing comment: as I mentioned in an earlier post, I tried a couple of pairs of calf Patriots on at the AE store and ended up ordering one size narrower than usual because my regular size had some heel slippage. These shell Patriots fit me snugly across the vamp, but not uncomfortably so. I think they're going to be great - the first pair of loafers I've had in years!

Last edited:

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't had a chance to contact the Shoe Bank yet. Still trying to figure out the size first.

Oh alright. Yep sizing is very important. Jeez, before wearing quality shoes I would have never thought that. I mean I was always under the false impression that if it fits good enough then it's fine. Well I was wrong, I have already adjusted my AE size a couple of times. Though it's not too big of a worry because even after you have worn them few times and you realize they don't fit well you can sell them here for a minimal loss.

I just find it difficult to walk in to Harry Rosen to get properly fitted for AE and then later tell them oh yeah I'm not going to be buying them. They work on commission which makes it even more difficult. I've already been to Harry Rosen three times to get fitted in the past. One associate told me I was 10.5 EEE :foo: (way too big), another told me 10D (pretty good, though could be 1/2 inch more snug), and now recently the last one told me 9.5D. We will see when they arrive how they fit...I have a feeling 9.5E might have been better though, especially if I want to close my balmoral laces. It is also pretty hard to gauge the correct size when trying on in store for just a couple minutes. Overall, the whole Harry Rosen experience is awkward and hence I wish AE opens a store in Toronto.

EDIT: Found out you already own AE. Still maintain though that sizing correctly is a pain!

Last edited:

adsmith4

Reaction score
Just went by my local AE outlet to pick up a pair of shoes I had to swap. While I was there, I ran across a pair of Amok's in my size in the tan suede. Key me say, the pictures on the website don't do it justice. Needless to say, I picked these up as well, can't beat $99 for these. Also, they had a pair of Bayfields on the shelf, priced at $167. I have always liked these just by seeing pictures posted here so I had them order a pair in my size. If you're interested in an all weather pair of boots, I would definitely recommend calling since they are now discontinued.

turdburglar

Reaction score
Second, based on the positive mentions from this thread I went ahead and contacted the Jeffersonville outlet and they said they'd be receiving a Krause boot in 7D in about a week...I know that size doesn't apply to most of you but it might also mean that they're getting other sizes, too. In case you were wondering.

~Johnny

Thanks for the heads up on the 7! That's my size for the 1K boots! Cheers

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just went by my local AE outlet to pick up a pair of shoes I had to swap. While I was there, I ran across a pair of Amok's in my size in the tan suede. Key me say, the pictures on the website don't do it justice. Needless to say, I picked these up as well, can't beat $99 for these. Also, they had a pair of Bayfields on the shelf, priced at $167. I have always liked these just by seeing pictures posted here so I had them order a pair in my size. If you're interested in an all weather pair of boots, I would definitely recommend calling since they are now discontinued.

Mind if I ask which outlet this is?

catside

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Krauses did not quite work for me due to sizing. May I ask if they had all sizes of Bayfields? Color?

Last edited:

zinc2162

Reaction score
Oh alright. Yep sizing is very important. Jeez, before wearing quality shoes I would have never thought that. I mean I was always under the false impression that if it fits good enough then it's fine. Well I was wrong, I have already adjusted my AE size a couple of times. Though it's not too big of a worry because even after you have worn them few times and you realize they don't fit well you can sell them here for a minimal loss.
I just find it difficult to walk in to Harry Rosen to get properly fitted for AE and then later tell them oh yeah I'm not going to be buying them. They work on commission which makes it even more difficult. I've already been to Harry Rosen three times to get fitted in the past. One associate told me I was 10.5 EEE
foo.gif
(way too big), another told me 10D (pretty good, though could be 1/2 inch more snug), and now recently the last one told me 9.5D. We will see when they arrive how they fit...I have a feeling 9.5E might have been better though, especially if I want to close my balmoral laces. It is also pretty hard to gauge the correct size when trying on in store for just a couple minutes. Overall, the whole Harry Rosen experience is awkward and hence I wish AE opens a store in Toronto.
EDIT: Found out you already own AE. Still maintain though that sizing correctly is a pain!

I had been to Harry Rosen once to get fitted. I tried on both 8.5D and 9D on the park avenue. 8.5D was too tight on the left foot so I went with 9D. I didn't buy the shoes from Harry Rosen though. Now that I have wore my strand couple of times, although the 9D is fine, I feel that 8.5E would probably be better. The Cliftons on the other hand is on a different last. I would want to make sure I got the perfect size this time. But yes, the Harry Rosen experience was awkward to me too.

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I had been to Harry Rosen once to get fitted. I tried on both 8.5D and 9D on the park avenue. 8.5D was too tight on the left foot so I went with 9D. I didn't buy the shoes from Harry Rosen though.  Now that I have wore my strand couple of times, although the 9D is fine, I feel that 8.5E would probably be better. The Cliftons on the other hand is on a different last. I would want to make sure I got the perfect size this time. But yes, the Harry Rosen experience was awkward to me too.

Oh yeah, well Harry Rosen does carry other shoes on the same last such as the Delray. If you want to go through the Harry Rosen experience again :happy:.

Michael Haines

Reaction score

I just got mine in and they are perfect fit and outside the toe perfect looking. Now I had already decided to run a coat of black over it to darken and give it a more burnished look. What do you guys think. if this was first qualty price I know they would go back but at this price and after the polishing? just dont know what to do

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes I think it should work well for you in 12D. I am a 10D on the 1 and 5 last with very little gap on most shoes on the 5 (especially shell), right foot is brannock 10D and left is 10.5D. In addition I have a very low volume foot. A little bit shy of D but I'm no longer a C any more, and the 10.5 is just shy also. The 744 LTD in 10D fits me about as perfectly as you can get. And is a great choice IMO.

Those AE for RL boots that bucksfan posted are also starting to look good. Can't believe I am even considering a panel boot. I really need to stay off this thread....

Happened to be home when FedEx came with my Wolverine 744 seconds. I just ripped open the box and threw these on, so you'll have to excuse the white socks. :embar:

All I can say is WOW!
I haven't looked at these long enough to determine the reason for them being seconds. It could be that the right toe cap is slightly crooked; or it could be that the left boot is dull compared to the right. I'm starting to think that the Wolverine standards are higher for firsts, because of the relatively higher prices they charge.

But I don't care - you'll have to pry these off my cold, dead feet. I'm going to shine these up to look like Cold Iron's!

And I went TTS on mine. I can see that the MAY be a touch large to size, but I err on the large side rather than the small. These seem about perfect to me.

Here is a crappy, quick cell phone pic. I'll post more later.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads