Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

not having seen my pair yet, i'm assuming that it's supposed to be chubby. it's a work boot, can't imagine a sleek workboot being very useful while you're building a skyscraper and/or sitting at a desk all day. :slayer:

2. OmniscientCause

OmniscientCause Senior member

black pas or merlot macallisters for an interview in a navy suit?

3. catside

catside Senior member

It's chubby. See my photos up.

4. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I would go with the black PA's

5. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I would get the Allen Edmonds cleaner/conditioner and the carnauba polish. That should keep them looking great for a long time.

I like both the Strand and McAllister. But I own 2 pair of McAllister and no Strands, so I must prefer the McAllister. I do own the Parliament which is essentially a Strand on the 678 last. I personally would go with the McAllisters - I think they would look better in a size 15-16.

Chris

6. cidr

cidr Member

Exchanging these for the 2nd time, what do you guys think? Wish I could try these in person.

First pair was 11.5D, too long and tight. Measured 11D on the fit guide, don't know why I went 11.5.
    These are 11 3E, still too long and a they feel overly wide.
    My next choices are either 10.5 E or 3E,

To those of you with multiple pairs in the 5 Last, how's the fit between them and Strands?

Thoughts? Here are some pics.

Pushing forward all I can, I can fit 3 fingers.

[​IMG]

Where the big toe ends without pushing.

[​IMG]

Wonder how different the gap is between widths is.

[​IMG]

Here's how the 11.5D Strands fit. Definitely not as tight but still not that different.

[​IMG]

7. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

Yeesh - very sorry to hear this. I would contact AE and see if they can help you. In the future, use only a horsehair brush for most of the care, and nylon stockings or cotton polish rags. Good luck!

They look very good - Enjoy!

Very nice - congrats! I have found especially with boots, that they will get beat up quickly, so those sorts of wrinkles generally don't bother me.

I buy them mostly for me - to look professional. Any positive comments I get are just gravy. Very nice Sanfords - they look fairly well worn, but very well cared for.

I will check... I asked for the full list of all shoes in stock in my size... to prep.

They look very nice! It will be interesting to see how they wear over time.

Sorry to hear that, C.I. - hope the tan ones fit and are in better shape. Thanks for the info regarding fit.

I posted a few tips a couple days ago - basically, always use shoe trees, don't wear the shoes on consecutive days, and get a brush, some conditioner / cleaner and color- matching polish. Treat them with the conditioner / cleaner to keep them moisturized, and polish them up when they look like they need it.

I like both the Strand and Mcallister. You won't go wrong with either, though I will say the McAllister will probably balance out the large expanse of leather better. Good luck!

Yes, Brogue can be used as a noun, as in a type of shoe that has brogueing (decorative holes, basically).

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012

8. Spyder187

Spyder187 Active Member

Hey guys, with the Dublin leather/oily leathers, can we use the Allen Edmonds Premium Polish on them (ie. to change the colour)?

9. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I take the same size in all my 5-last shoes, though my Strands feel the smallest of them all. I would try an 11E first then a 10.5 E.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012

10. Laundry Troll

Laundry Troll Member

Quick question: I finally got my first pair of AE's in the mail yesterday, a pair of black Park Avenues. I've read multiple places that the best polish to use on them is the AE black polish, but I was wondering if my black Kiwi polish would suffice. I used it for my five years in the Navy and never had any problems, but I wanted to hear some opinions before I start slathering it on. Thanks!

11. cidr

cidr Member

The ones in the pics are already 11 though, how much of a different in length will going down to E from 3E be?
    Kiwi will do just fine.

12. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

Went to go get some suede water repellent spray for my malverns and saw a "suede cleaner/conditioner" product. Am I suppose to condition suede before I add the water repellant spray? I normally just spray it with the spray without any treatment beforehand.

13. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Try to remember that the difference in length between half sizes is only about 1/5" with a nominal change in girth or colume of the shoe. On the other hand, changes in width have a more dramatic effect on shoe volume. So, even if you can push forward in the shoe, that is not necessarily and indication that it is too long. You may just need to go down in width.

I would rely less on the AE fit guide and a little more on a proper Brannock fitting (which you can have done just about anywhere shoes are sold). That being said, I take the same size in all the #5 last shoes I've worn so far. Keep in mind that I tried over a dozen different sizes before figuring out what works (coincidentally, this is about the size I would have started with had I gotten a proper Brannock measurement to start with).

The Strand is an awesome shoe. Consider getting a pair in shell cordovan (but remember that shell runs just a little bigger than calf).

Best of luck.

14. kpag

kpag Well-Known Member

Is the tan on the Elgin different than McTavish? From pictures McTavish looks much lighter and I think I prefer the color of Elgin but I've never seen them side by side so I don't know if I'm just crazy or if they actually are different colors.

15. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

The Dublin leathers are a more substantial leather that requires less attention/care to maintain color, unlike traditional calfskin that benefits from colored polish on a semi-regular basis. The Dublin leather really only requires cleaning and moisturizing (saddle soap, leather lotion, etc.) to maintain a healthy look. That said, it is perfectly fine to use something like AE premium polish on it if you are seeking to change the color a bit. It definitely won't hurt the leather.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.