• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just ordered my first ever pair of AEs: the Delray in Chili Burnished Calf.

Been wearing Aldens/Lobbs/EG exclusively, but this shoe really caught my eye, with the assistance/suggestion of SF's own "Sevenfoldtieguy."

Anyone have this shoe? Seems like the best of all the AE colors IMO, and the last looks sleek, yet the shoe seems very classy/versatile.

Can't wait to get them!

DJTraveler

Reaction score
Just ordered my first ever pair of AEs: the Delray in Chili Burnished Calf.

Been wearing Aldens/Lobbs/EG exclusively, but this shoe really caught my eye, with the assistance/suggestion of SF's own "Sevenfoldtieguy."

Anyone have this shoe? Seems like the best of all the AE colors IMO, and the last looks sleek, yet the shoe seems very classy/versatile.

Can't wait to get them!

I have the Delray in Chili - great shoe. Another AE color similar to chili is saddle brown. I have the Vernon in saddle brown which is also a great shoe. Both look great with a pair of navy slacks.

thebeebs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ thanks! anyone have any idea what an "overlay plug" is? the delray seems to have one, and it's supposed to be a good thing....

Apollotrader

Reaction score
That Alden Cigar Tanker boot is a thing of beauty.
While not the intent of the original post, after looking at the 2 shoes mentioned yes I was drawn to those boots also. What a thing of beauty. I understand why they would get hate mail about them being pictured on the site but not available any more. My first instinct was and is that is my next footwear purchase.

If AE took a Del Ray and made it a boot with the heavy sole....................custom shop??

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ thanks!  anyone have any idea what an "overlay plug" is? the delray seems to have one, and it's supposed to be a good thing....

I believe it is the top part of the shoe that is stitched to the sides - that's why there is the stitching around the toe. A lot of other types of styles just have the one piece of leather pulled over the toe.

Just what I have been told the overlay plug is. My Wilberts have the overlay plug.

Chris

delmar

Reaction score
Looks like AE has a new webgem--River Oaks, ostrich leather, similar to the Ashbury. Sharp looking. On the homepage.

PK35216

Reaction score
These look awful with that toe burnishing. Sorry.

McTavish's: ruined or improved?

I believe you went too dark on the burnishing, but I don't believe they are ruined, since you should be able to remove much of the burnishing.

I might suggest that you take AE saddle soap (which is approved for use on the rough collection, I believe) and a slightly damp, soft, clean rag, and repeatedly apply a very little cleaner to the toe with circular motions. Then, wipe with another clean, damp cloth to remove some of the burnishing. Repeat the process gently until it appears you are making progress and then let them dry 24 hours and revisit the next day to see if additional removal is needed. Finally, once you are satisfied, be sure to use a little of AE's Leather Conditioner (which AE recommends for conditioning rough collection leather, and which should not be confused with AE's Cleaner/Conditioner) to restore the moisture stripped away during the saddle soap applications.

Your idea wasn't bad, but the execution was just a little off.

For future reference, you might want to try Walnut polish (which is substantially darker than the tan McTavish, or possibly Chili polish, or just use much less dark drown).

I'm no expert, but I have had a little experience with this type of stuff, so feel free to gather some other opinions on my recommendations.

Regards.

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Saphir Renomat will help strip off old polish if that is the desired goal.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on the new Regent Street vs MacNeil?

bucksfan

Reaction score
I prefer my LWBs with double soles, but Im digging the brogueing and metal eyelets. No idea what that 4 last is like.

Last edited:

reidrothchild

Reaction score

Thoughts on the new Regent Street vs MacNeil?

I have the MacNeil pictured above. It's probably the shoe I wear most because of its versatility; however, I really don't like the toe shape of the MacNeil. The toe is just too flat for a LWB. I'd prefer something more bulbous. I can't tell from the picture, but it doesn't really look like the Regent Street accomplishes that.

akg101

Reaction score
Hey guys, how accurate have you all found the PDF for the fitting guide in predicting your size?

Last edited:

charliebrown2

Reaction score
Hey guys, how accurate have you all found the PDF for the fitting guide in predicting your size?

On the 5 last...I ended up going down 1 full size and out 1 width compared to the online sizing guide. I think everyone is different though.

halgrind

Reaction score
Amazon is running another 20% off select shoes coupon, "SIZE2012". Expires August 29th. Lots of AE styles included. They still have select Elgin sizes for $220 as someone mentioned a while back, less 20% made it $176.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads