1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. imainish

imainish Senior member

I really like the double monk and have both the Mora and the Neumora, to me it's the Neumora for the win :box:

2. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

^^ What shoe is that in your sig pic?

3. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

MarioImpemba has mentioned using Reno on his and also that I should post pictures of mine after they were cleaned up. I'm back to work for a week to put weight back on the dog and rest him, and then leave for SD Monday pheasant hunting for a couple of weeks. I will try to get some pictures tonight of the finished cleaned up Bayfields.

The Reno turned the scuffed areas dark which when I put the HDLP on over it gave them a great patina that did not exist before. Love the look even more now. I use Obenhauf's Leather Oil on my bison boots & chukka's (DO NOT use it on the rough collection leather!) and discovered that when the Bayfield's are scuffed after treating with HDLP you can touch them up with the leather oil in a matter of minutes. However the leather oil is no where as water proof as the HDLP. Depends on your intended use and description of "severe use". It took me a lot less time to do my Bayfields than the other 3 boots that I treated at the same time. I'm starting to like the CXL a lot more now....

Before treating any boot (except true dress boots) I use saddle soap, twice to remove all dirt and grime. It will remove a fair amount of the HDLP also. But I consider HDLP as a no turning back option. I'm a boot whore and use it on at least a dozen pair of boots. And my AE black hills.

I found that CXL, or at least mine, never really did shine so much to start with. Sheen is a better term as you said, but it is too casual for where I work. So I picked up the black Bayfield for nasty weather days at the office. They shine up extremely well:

[​IMG]

4. imainish

imainish Senior member

5. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

I've never used Reno, but I'm intrigued by your results; I've used Jos A. Banks cheapo shoe cream, Lexol, SnoSeal, and Kiwi before.

Excited to see how your brown Bayfields look cleaned up and glad you're liking the CXL more.

The black ones look great, too.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  6. dancingbear

dancingbear Senior member

Very interesting link. It looks as though a few of the 0 last shoes are being redone on the 333. i.e. Bel Air = Larchmont.

The Burbank looks a lot like the Pasadena which was teased at one point. The 333 fits me very well. I hope the Pasadena is on the way soon.

7. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Guys, so I have made up my mind. My next shoe during the sale will be a wingtip: Amsterdam in bourbon or Jefferson in brown. Anyone have pictures in the wild of the Jefferson? From everything I have read, this is a shoe to die for.

8. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Thank you for the picture, I think your shells look GREAT! I think a Patriot burgundy shell will be in my rotation come summer.

9. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

I assume by professional help you mean an assistant that you pay to help you with the shoes. Would you let that person brush, buff, actually apply the polish, or just prep the shoes for you?

10. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

My Cordovan Patriots have been pushed out another 4 weeks--could end up being an early Christmas present.

11. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

The bourbon Amsterdam may never be available again - they were a special Urban Daddy release. And the current Fall supplement catalog does not show the McAllister in bourbon which is the same shoe as the Amsterdam. Your closest option would be the Larchmont in bourbon.

12. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Someone told me they were able to get the Amsterdam from the shoe bank.

13. ajmanouk

ajmanouk Senior member

I am curious...with all the talk of the new 3 last...how does it fit compared to some others. People say it is just as long as the 5 last, if not a big longer? How about width. I know the general 5 last rule is down 1/2 size and up width 1...would the 3 last just be size down 1/2 keep width constant?

14. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

True statement.

15. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Uh Oh, sorry my bad! But I was very pleased with the use of Reno on the CXL no matter who mentioned it. If I didn't want them waterproofed I would have stopped there.

Ready for the saddle soap.

[​IMG]

With the other 3 boots I did at the same time. Bayfiled, Meindal Perfekt Hiker, Meindal Perfekt Hunter, Russell Moccasin Grand Slam Sheep Hunters.

[​IMG]

After a good cleaning with saddle soap and 2 days of drying. The Bayfields dried so fast compared to the others I applied Reno on them the next day after cleaning. They would work just fine for most use IMO right at this step. and have a good sheen to them.

[​IMG]

Finished Bayfield with HDLP applied over the Reno. I could rub them out a bit more by hand but will leave them as is. They have a year or so of hard use on them and I love how they fit:

[​IMG]

Did I ever mention that I really like HDLP?

[​IMG]

I've used a lot of leather waterproofing products over the years but when I was measured for the Russell Moccasin boots 7 years ago the salesman told me I HAD to use HDLP. Russell has a good page on leather care http://www.russellmoccasin.com/leather_care.html When I purchased my first pair of Meindal's the salesman also insisted that I use HDLP. For good reason.

16. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

That would be a great deal if you could!

17. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

Those look so, so good man. Well done.

18. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

taking my neumoks out for the first time today. these are my first foray into what i consider the new AE. 5-6 years ago when i first started buying AE's, their conservative shoes (park ave, delray etc) were good, but all of their attempts at casual shoes (other than the mora, of course) were just sad, in a pleated dockers kind of way. in the last year or so, with the bayfield, _moks, daltons, etc, i've come back around to AE. here they are:

[​IMG]

these shoes look just awful on the website, and even on the rack, but as soon as you put them on it just clicks.

19. Michael Haines

Michael Haines Senior member

Man I wish AE had something comparable to Alden's cigar

20. aravenel

aravenel Senior member

They are wider than the five last for sure. I am a EEE in the 5 last, but a E in the 333.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.