• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

McTavish's: ruined or improved?

Too shiny

I agree. But they are casual shoes, so I wouldn't worry too much about wearing them. Maybe just let the toes dull down over time and see how they develop.

Take a walk through a Nordstrom or another department store's shoe department some time, and you'll see several trendy shoes that are designed to look like this. I guess it's a trend/fad these days.

Last edited:

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was looking to order a pair of shell on the 5 last (park aves or strands) and I was wondering if I should order my regular 5 last size... As a frame of reference
-Calf Strands are a bit tight in the toebox
-Calf Park Aves fit perfectly (strange, but they do seem looser)
-Mctavishes were way too big in my normal 5 last size

I have heard that shell runs a little bit big vs their calf counterparts... can anyone with experience tell me if they run as large as the McTavish in the same size?
Its a little hard to get to an AE store to try on for my own.

Well, shell does run a little larger than calf.  I do not have any AE shell; so I cannot tell you if the shell runs as large as the McTavish.  I own shell in Alden and generally stick to the smaller end of the spectrum but only because my foot falls in between sizes.

It's interesting that PhiPhi says this, because I had the same impression from trying them on in the store. Usually the 5 last is a little snug on me, but in the same size the Strand shells were almost loose. I wasn't sure if it was just that particular pair, or a real difference in shell vs. calf.

It seemed like enough to wear thicker socks, but not to size down on. That would be OK for me, because a) the shell would be more casual, so I'd be OK wearing thicker socks and b) I can never size down because the length always becomes an issue for my foot.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's interesting that PhiPhi says this, because I had the same impression from trying them on in the store. Usually the 5 last is a little snug on me, but in the same size the Strand shells were almost loose. I wasn't sure if it was just that particular pair, or a real difference in shell vs. calf.
It seemed like enough to wear thicker socks, but not to size down on. That would be OK for me, because a) the shell would be more casual, so I'd be OK wearing thicker socks and b) I can never size down because the length always becomes an issue for my foot.

I have the walnut calf Strand and the dark brown shell Strand, both in 9D, and there is no noticeable difference in sizing. Having said that, it is true that as a general rule shell will run slightly bigger than a comparable calf, but, in my experience, never enough to size down.

f800gs

Reaction score
Just came in today's mail from AE outlet.

Labor Day Sale
Aug 20- Sep 3
Save 15%- 50% on All factory-second shoes,belts, ties and accessories.

Neumora Reg. 259 Sale 179 black and brown.
Kenwood Reg 179 Sale 129
Manchester Reg 259 Sale 179
PA. Reg 259. Sale 199
Stewart. Reg 234. Sale 179
Tampa. Reg 149. Sale. 109
Yuma. Reg 149. Sale. 99

lostron

Reaction score
Just came in today's mail from AE outlet.
Labor Day Sale
Aug 20- Sep 3
Save 15%- 50% on All factory-second shoes,belts, ties and accessories.
Neumora Reg. 259 Sale 179 black and brown.
Kenwood Reg 179 Sale 129
Manchester Reg 259 Sale 179
PA. Reg 259. Sale 199
Stewart. Reg 234. Sale 179
Tampa. Reg 149. Sale. 109
Yuma. Reg 149. Sale. 99
Thanks for the update

ncdobson

Reaction score
I'm going to Milwaukee for a conference in a couple of weeks. How far is it to the mother ship from there? Is there a factory tour or anything else of interest?

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That Alden Cigar Tanker boot is a thing of beauty.
While not the intent of the original post, after looking at the 2 shoes mentioned yes I was drawn to those boots also. What a thing of beauty. I understand why they would get hate mail about them being pictured on the site but not available any more. My first instinct was and is that is my next footwear purchase.

I was looking to order a pair of shell on the 5 last (park aves or strands) and I was wondering if I should order my regular 5 last size... As a frame of reference
-Calf Strands are a bit tight in the toebox
-Calf Park Aves fit perfectly (strange, but they do seem looser)
-Mctavishes were way too big in my normal 5 last size

I have heard that shell runs a little bit big vs their calf counterparts... can anyone with experience tell me if they run as large as the McTavish in the same size?
Its a little hard to get to an AE store to try on for my own.
I am a 10D in the 5 last. All 3 of my rough collection shoes are a 9.5D and fit perfectly including the McTavish. My shell Strands are loose compared to the other 10D shoes on the 5 last. And have loosened up even more over time, with a tongue pad they still close all the way at lacing if pulled tight enough. However like the others said going down to a 9.5D would be too much as they then would be too small IMO.

spitshine123

Reaction score

Quote: While not the intent of the original post, after looking at the 2 shoes mentioned yes I was drawn to those boots also. What a thing of beauty. I understand why they would get hate mail about them being pictured on the site but not available any more. My first instinct was and is that is my next footwear purchase.

Quote: I am a 10D in the 5 last. All 3 of my rough collection shoes are a 9.5D and fit perfectly including the McTavish. My shell Strands are loose compared to the other 10D shoes on the 5 last. And have loosened up even more over time, with a tongue pad they still close all the way at lacing if pulled tight enough. However like the others said going down to a 9.5D would be too much as they then would be too small IMO.
Thanks for the advice all... I happened to stop by the AE store today and size was as described. Also checked out a few new 3 last models. My favorite were the flatiron and parkway. The stitching on the parkway was too pronounced on the walnut and grey (not yet online) models, but it looked great in brown. Fit was also good for my slightly side foot, a little more room in the forefoot width wise vs the five last. Highly recommended, and I look forward to more shoes on this last

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What belt matches the Kenilworth in dark brown? I looked at the AE website but didn't see one, unless I missed it.

Thanks for your help

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What belt matches the Kenilworth in dark brown? I looked at the AE website but didn't see one, unless I missed it.
Thanks for your help

Per their Spring 2012 catalog, they say the Dress Bridle belt is the coordinating belt for the Kenilworth.

Chris

delmar

Reaction score
Port Washington is a half hour north of Milwaukee. There are always lots of seconds to pick through in the store attached to the factory. Well worth the trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads