Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

Just ordered my first ever pair of AEs: the Delray in Chili Burnished Calf.

Been wearing Aldens/Lobbs/EG exclusively, but this shoe really caught my eye, with the assistance/suggestion of SF's own "Sevenfoldtieguy."

Anyone have this shoe? Seems like the best of all the AE colors IMO, and the last looks sleek, yet the shoe seems very classy/versatile.

Can't wait to get them!

2. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

I have the Delray in Chili - great shoe. Another AE color similar to chili is saddle brown. I have the Vernon in saddle brown which is also a great shoe. Both look great with a pair of navy slacks.

3. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

^ thanks! anyone have any idea what an "overlay plug" is? the delray seems to have one, and it's supposed to be a good thing....

4. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

These look awful with that toe burnishing. Sorry.

5. Apollotrader

Apollotrader Senior member

While not the intent of the original post, after looking at the 2 shoes mentioned yes I was drawn to those boots also. What a thing of beauty. I understand why they would get hate mail about them being pictured on the site but not available any more. My first instinct was and is that is my next footwear purchase.

If AE took a Del Ray and made it a boot with the heavy sole....................custom shop??

6. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I believe it is the top part of the shoe that is stitched to the sides - that's why there is the stitching around the toe. A lot of other types of styles just have the one piece of leather pulled over the toe.

Just what I have been told the overlay plug is. My Wilberts have the overlay plug.

Chris

7. delmar

delmar Senior member

Looks like AE has a new webgem--River Oaks, ostrich leather, similar to the Ashbury. Sharp looking. On the homepage.

8. PK35216

PK35216 Senior member

I believe you went too dark on the burnishing, but I don't believe they are ruined, since you should be able to remove much of the burnishing.

I might suggest that you take AE saddle soap (which is approved for use on the rough collection, I believe) and a slightly damp, soft, clean rag, and repeatedly apply a very little cleaner to the toe with circular motions. Then, wipe with another clean, damp cloth to remove some of the burnishing. Repeat the process gently until it appears you are making progress and then let them dry 24 hours and revisit the next day to see if additional removal is needed. Finally, once you are satisfied, be sure to use a little of AE's Leather Conditioner (which AE recommends for conditioning rough collection leather, and which should not be confused with AE's Cleaner/Conditioner) to restore the moisture stripped away during the saddle soap applications.

Your idea wasn't bad, but the execution was just a little off.

For future reference, you might want to try Walnut polish (which is substantially darker than the tan McTavish, or possibly Chili polish, or just use much less dark drown).

I'm no expert, but I have had a little experience with this type of stuff, so feel free to gather some other opinions on my recommendations.

Regards.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2012

9. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

Saphir Renomat will help strip off old polish if that is the desired goal.

10. bl@ster

[email protected] Senior member

Thoughts on the new Regent Street vs MacNeil?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

I prefer my LWBs with double soles, but Im digging the brogueing and metal eyelets. No idea what that 4 last is like.

12. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

I have the MacNeil pictured above. It's probably the shoe I wear most because of its versatility; however, I really don't like the toe shape of the MacNeil. The toe is just too flat for a LWB. I'd prefer something more bulbous. I can't tell from the picture, but it doesn't really look like the Regent Street accomplishes that.

13. akg101

akg101 Active Member

Hey guys, how accurate have you all found the PDF for the fitting guide in predicting your size?

14. charliebrown2

charliebrown2 Senior member

On the 5 last...I ended up going down 1 full size and out 1 width compared to the online sizing guide. I think everyone is different though.

15. halgrind

halgrind Member

Amazon is running another 20% off select shoes coupon, "SIZE2012". Expires August 29th. Lots of AE styles included. They still have select Elgin sizes for $220 as someone mentioned a while back, less 20% made it $176.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.