• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
There is a good chance, mainly because they are made from rough/waxy leather. Since the shoe doesn't fit as tightly over the last, it runs big. This is true for me with the McTavish (size 9E) and the McAllister (size 9.5E).

Thank you, kind sir. I think I shall get them.

They are so cheap because of the small gash on the left toe. I think I can look past this as these will be a strictly casual shoe for me.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I am presuming you have quite the collection of staple shoes to be looking at funkier alternatives for variety's sake. I think most people would be better served purchasing staple shoes that would serve them a lifetime, than a limited role fashion shoe that is going to go out of vogue in several years, but I digress. Its just a matter of taste, plain and simple. You can be different in a more conservative way (Epaulet's Carmina MTO's):
Or you can look at current AE offerings that mimic Cole Haan's:
From AE's perspective and a business perspective, the latter may make more sense. For me, one definitely looks more dignified/mature than the other...
I think it's really that AE wants to capture some of the JM/Aldo/Madden/Cole Haan/etc... crowd, but they also want to educate those folks on quality welted shoes. So they're dipping in stylistically, but keeping them higher quality and made in the USA, which is more expensive. It might work, but could backfire. The people who pay for quality want conservative styles, and the people shopping at those other places likely can't afford AE prices. It will be interesting to see if there's a gap to fill or not. Still, with all the models they've been spinning out lately, maybe it's working.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Remember, the shoes are all finished in the USA. Some of the uppers and belts are made in the Dominican Republic.

Brands like Alden have broad appeal because the brand has credibility with the SWD crowd. It also helps that their MTO program offers enough variety for vendors to tailor make ups to their customer base.

AE on the other hand always seemed to be the dress shoe company. The Park Avenue, McAllister, and Strand are their flagship dress shoes. I think that's what brings people in.

The crazy Strandmok and other "-mok" make ups are what I call "growing pains" for AE. Maybe they dial in the style and design; maybe they don't. I for one go back for something just a little bit different like the rough leather Neumoks. I haven't really seen anything like it elsewhere.

bapelolol

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what color the shoe on the left is? I'm trying to figure out which Saphir to get - on the right are Park Aves in Walnut for comparison. It also reads "1550 0000535" inside the shoe

(on the left)
XSBs67u.jpg

(on the right)
w1awe3e.jpg

97ehpfb.jpg

Last edited:

TheSizzle

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what color the shoe on the left is? I'm trying to figure out which Saphir to get - on the right are Park Aves in Walnut for comparison. It also reads "1550 0000535" inside the shoe

(on the left)
XSBs67u.jpg

(on the right)
w1awe3e.jpg
97ehpfb.jpg

As far as I'm concerned, you don't need a different polish. That's just being nitpicky. When properly applied, polish makes such a minimal difference that you could use the same polish as on the Park Avenues. You may notice a slight lightening of the color, but that would only be if you kept reminding yourself of the original color. Oh, and I'm rambling...

Last edited:

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, you don't need a different polish. That's just being nitpicky. When properly applied, polish makes such a minimal difference that you could use the same polish as on the Park Avenues. You may notice a slight lightening of the color, but that would only be if you kept reminding yourself of the original color. Oh, and I'm rambling...

I would agree. It really depends on how tolerant you are of variation in color. But then the color will change over time anyway.

TheSizzle

Reaction score
Last edited:

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So what color is this?

For my walnut AEs, I use "light brown #03" Saphir cream.

This guide can be somewhat helpful in choosing a color of Saphir polish for classic AE colors.
http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/blog/allen-edmond-shoe-polish-colors

Bourbon is not in that guide, but that doesn't really matter in your case, and there are solutions for that (it starts as walnut).

I can confirm this as a great resource. Keep in mind also that the colors on a computer screen might not match in real life.

I will also mention that Kirby at Hanger Project is a great person, and it's worth buying from him if you can. He has some tutorials showing how to mix colors. I've also chatted with him via his website, and he is extremely helpful.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For you guys with the Long Branch, how does it hold up as a winter snow/rain boot? I'm looking for a decent winter boot, and I realized the Long Branch might be a good choice. Is the sole good in snow? Nothing major, just urban use for snow and muck a few inches deep. Thinking Long Branch treated them with LP, Snoseal, or the like would be a good combo.

And then also, anyone size UP a bit in them to accommodate thick socks?

harlequin782

Reaction score

I'll have to disagree.  The execution may be less than optimal, but AE has the right idea.  They're looking for a broader range of shoes.  The staple shoes like the PA and Strand will only take the company so far.  They need to expand their market base to include casual shoes (for example Alden has a strong hold on dress and casual shoes).  I, for one, have been lobbying AE to do a "Strand" in the rough casual leathers, olive specifically.  AE has focused too closely on the short wing design for too many of their shoes (McAllister, Neumok, Ridgeway, McTavish, Cronmok, Long Branch, Dalton, Broadstreet, Jefferson, Cambridge, Players Shoe, and others I've forgotten).  I'm just happy to see something other than a short wing!

I couldnt agree more. In fact, one of the reasons I was hopeful about the Strandmok was because I was excited about the idea of AE offering something other than another variant of a brogued wingtip in its casual lineup. But there are better ways (WAY better) to go about it than this. When you initially typed that you were waiting for an olive strand a few post ago, I said to myself "BINGO!"...if they could offer that, or the blue (neumok) colored strand, they'd have a nearly unbeatable casual lineup in my opinion. But alas, its either more wingtips or these clownshoes...the choice is ours, I suppose.

PhiPsi32

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still send them a customer feedback email every couple fo months telling them this. And I encourage anyone with a similar interest to do the same. Maybe AE will finally identify their market.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads