Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

It is a fantastic winter snow/rain boot in my opinion. That is what I bought it for, and it has already been out in it. The sole is as beefy as they come, so no problem there. I didn't size up to accomodate thicker socks, but the boot is comfortably roomy, and the leather is soft, so you could probably wear a reasonably thicker sock without changing your size. You'll have to try it yourself though.

2. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Not that much snow here but the LB's do have beefy soles/heels so I would imagine traction in snow should be pretty good. I got them TTS (same as my Daltons but .5 up from my Strands). BUT, if I were to wear thick socks with them, they would be too tight for me. But that might be because I have a high arch/instep so I need more room across the instep.

3. adamdurbin

adamdurbin Senior member

This is not necessarily true. I, for one, can afford higher quality and while I respect conservative styles and have many, like branching out!

4. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

+1

5. donjuan17

donjuan17 Senior member

Yay or Nay?

[​IMG]

As opposed to Magnanni D.M

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

I like them both. Which one is preferable depends on what you're using them for. Given the color, I assume this will not be your first pair of dress shoes? Being a captoe balmoral, the AE is more dressy and conservative. If you live in L.A., dub monks might be a bit more versatile for you if you don't think you'll be wearing a suit that often. For me, I'd go with the captoe because I work in a conservative office environment, and I've never seen a guy in my building wearing a double monk.

7. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I have the Strands in walnut shell and they are a size 10D like all the other shoes I own (except rough collection shoes) on the 5 last. I also have the Black Hills and they fit the same as my Strands but are a 9.5D. So in theory those Black Hills should work for you, or at least be very close. I use Obenauf's HDLP on my Black Hills so that I can use them as a casual and foul weather shoe, and they serve that purpose perfectly. HDLP might help cover that scratch up some for you also. Nice choice and good luck, you are stealing them at $50.

8. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

I do not have the Long Branch but do have the Cascade which has the same tread and sole. I considered the Long Branch but Mario is right, a man CAN have too many wingtips LOL. And much to my surprise the Cascade is the only shoe or boot that my secretary has ever commented on saying they were a very fashionable shoe, go figure. From the top view the lugs are not that noticeable until you cross your legs without a table in front of you. And those that have seen the soles have said that it is a smart design, but I never wear them with a suit only biz casual when storms hit and I don't have important meetings. They have been through 3 winters in Mn. and held up well. The rubber in the soles are harder than hunting and hiking treads which is typical of dress boots. In fresh snow which is hard packed at intersections you can still end up doing the one legged stork dance as you cross the road if you know what I mean. But are difficult to beat in a dress boot\shoe sole and better IMO than my Bayfield's tread in snow. I have posted in the Obenauf thread about HDLP, I love it for hunting and hiking boots. And used SnoSeal many years ago before I had my custom Russell Moccasin Grand Slam Sheep Hunters built and discovered Meindel Perfket boots. Both vendors recommend HDLP which is why I switched to HDLP. But be aware it will darken your leather, sometimes in a good way...

9. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Heh. Though we don't get a lot of snow in Austin, I can still vividly picture this.

10. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Thanks, guys. I'm not looking for a dress boot - have Dainite for that - but do want something more stylish than the insulated nylon/leather deals. Long Branch sounds like it might be good. I do agree about wingtips. Would be nice if they had a captoe - something like the Eagle County with a commando sole and regular black/brown/burgundy leather (yet another example of their getting fancy, but not offering what I want...) There's an incredible burgundy captoe boot on a commando sole in the Tricker's thread that someone had made custom. Here's the post in a spoiler, so as to not to muddy up the AE thread. These got me thinking - but I'm sure they were at least twice the price of an AE boot. I would love to see AE do something like this, and I think they easily could. But maybe Long Branch is the call for me at the moment..

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013

11. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Doesn't take much snow.. just a little ice. I've been there many times!

12. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

Has anyone got 'in the wild' pictures of the Dalton in grey? Or the Long Branch?

13. Markus1984

Markus1984 Well-Known Member

Just letting you guys know that my pair of Allen Edmond Strands (walnut) + matching belt is up for sale.. SIZE 8.5 D.

Let me know if interested.

That'll be my only sales-pitch!. :)

Regards

14. facet

facet Senior member

Good to know and thanks for the info.

15. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Dress for the position you want, not the position you have.

I think someone on the forum said something like that.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.