Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CalTex

CalTex Senior member

Custom order the shoe, you aren't obligated to buy just because they order them.

I recently ordred a pair of loafers and the sales rep has alway been nice about working with me. (I've been there over 5 times)

2. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

+1

Width is not trivial. The AE store can order and hold any catalog size. The Kenilworth though is not offered in a "C" width though AE can make it. And it doesn't look like they offer any 5 lasted derbys in a "C" width. You can try a balmoral like the PA which should be easy to get in a "C" width. If you like the fit, then you can MTO the Kenilworth in "C". But by all means, try on a "D" width in the store. Just remember the difference in width is important.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

By custom order, the SA meant that AE would make a custom pair of shoes in a C width for him, so he would be obligated to purchase. I agree to try on the D width and see how it fits. Also, I'm not sure the fit of any other 5 last shoe in a C width is going to help much with your decision because AE advises to size down 1/2 size in the Kenilworth as opposed to other 5 last shoes.

4. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

It is fairly common to go sockless with loafers. The issue is wearing them 2 days in a row. It is usually a good idea to let the shoes dry thoroughly between wearings (shoe trees help with this). 24 hours is generally the accepted period of time, so basically you should only wear the same pair of shoes every other day. Going sockless only makes things worse, so I would stick with this rule.

5. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Very good looking Strands!

6. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

+1. There's no good solution for this. You will just end up wearing the shoes out much faster from the inside. But maybe that's just the way it is, and you'll have to plan on buying new shoes more often.

Here is an idea I remembered from J Crew. They sell these super low profile socks that are designed to look like you aren't wearing any. Not sure if you'd do this, but throwing it out there.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_category/accessories/socks/PRDOVR~10089/10089.jsp

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013

7. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I wear moc socks with my loafers.

http://msandco.myshopify.com/products/three-pack-mocc-socks

8. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

9. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

[​IMG]So true.

Well, I agree with 2 outta 3 [​IMG] Both your Leeds look great - you take good care of your shoes and it shows.

[​IMG]

10. MarioImpemba

I am presuming you have quite the collection of staple shoes to be looking at funkier alternatives for variety's sake. I think most people would be better served purchasing staple shoes that would serve them a lifetime, than a limited role fashion shoe that is going to go out of vogue in several years, but I digress.

Its just a matter of taste, plain and simple.

You can be different in a more conservative way (Epaulet's Carmina MTO's):
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Or you can look at current AE offerings that mimic Cole Haan's:

[​IMG]
    From AE's perspective and a business perspective, the latter may make more sense.

For me, one definitely looks more dignified/mature than the other...

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013

11. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

It's a matter of taste and environment. I work in a building where most of the staff are in jeans and tshirts. Busting out the Carminas would be odd for the environment.

12. MarioImpemba

Deja vu. Pretty sure we've been down this path before. Good point, you right; I know those architect/design/marketing firm feels.

13. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Can anyone who owns both the Strand and Black Hills comment on sizing. My 8E Strands fit perfectly, but I found a brand new pair of Black Hills on eBay for $50. Alas, they are an 8D. Do you think I could squeeze into them, given they are a blutcher rather than a balmoral?

Thanks in advance,

Your friendly, neighborhood eye doctor.

14. msulinski

msulinski Senior member

There is a good chance, mainly because they are made from rough/waxy leather. Since the shoe doesn't fit as tightly over the last, it runs big. This is true for me with the McTavish (size 9E) and the McAllister (size 9.5E).

15. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

I have the Strand in 8E (same last) and I have recently sent back 8E and 8D Kenilworths as they were too big. My next size to try is 7.5E. So yes...the size is drastically different from your measured size (8.5D for me).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.