1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

I stumbled across this pic of some custom Walnut Shell MacNeils. I am so happy I decided on these, and after seeing this pic, I can't wait for them to come. Special thanks to Mr. Paul Grangaard for offering a deal for us SF members.

2. Bzack

Bzack Active Member

Thanks for the input. I currently own 3 pair of AE dress shoes and 1 pair of AE boots. I think you both make valid points. You get what you pay for and it's hard to go backwards after purchasing quality shoes. I know that if I want a pair of loafers that will last longer there is more value in spending a few extra dollars for something that will last a possible 3-5 years longer and can be resoled/recrafted.

3. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

$595, and they waived the $125 custom fee. So not a bad deal. Not a cheap shoe, but if it is one you want, it is worth it.

4. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

I'm hoping to get either te Dalton or bayfield in the walnut shell so imagine is may be slightly more but I wouldn't mind the bill one bit.

5. bespoken pa

Is there much of a difference if at all between Alden s whiskey and AE walnut?

6. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Many whiskey models would be a bit lighter in color, with more of a butterscotch hue - but certainly the two colors have similarities.

7. AZsundevil

AZsundevil Well-Known Member

So if anybody was interested in this comment thread, I got a response back from AE customer service. The shoes are gone. Let this be a lesson: If you see a Webgem that you like, BUY IT, because AE can and will pull them at their discretion.

1 person likes this.
  8. sevenfoldtieguy

Always a good decision. :fistbump: But in all seriousness, any of the models you mentioned would have looked nice.

I am considering a walnut shell Leeds. I have PM'd the CEO and await his reply
    . :D

2 people like this.
  9. bespoken pa

Thank You SFTG.

10. sevenfoldtieguy

This is good advice. And, beyond webgems, it ceratinly applies to hard-to-find shell models.

11. sevenfoldtieguy

Yep - Probably 75% of 5-lasted shoes I have ever ordered - including the Kenilworth - have had this issue. And almost all of said 75% have been returned. Most recently it was an otherwise wonderful pair of Jeffersons in Walnut Calf. It is confusing and troubling all at once. I have never had this issue with any other AE lasts.

12. bespoken pa

+1, I'm hoping someone from AE can get back to me before the sale is up. If I don't get a boot in the walnut I'm will probably order the chili Daltons.

13. sevenfoldtieguy

You are welcome.

In the interest of full disclosure, I actually probably prefer the walnut (shhh ... don't tell my Alden brethren).

And .... speaking of lighter brown shell colors, Carmina's "saddle" is sublime.

14. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

I asked if they would be put back up. This is the response:

Unfortunately not at this time. They did have some manufacturing problems with this, so they are going back to the work board on this shoe to try and fix the problem.

Does that mean my order is going to be cancelled?
    No they will be filling all the orders placed under special manufacturing to ensure they will not have a problem.

According to CS, next webgem is going to be released at the end of May.

15. AZsundevil

AZsundevil Well-Known Member

I had asked the same question in my e-mail, and this is what I got;
    Dear Sir:

We apologize for any inconvenience. These shoes can no longer be ordered. If you have any further questions please call toll free 800.235.2348 and speak with one of our representatives.

Sincerely,
    (name omitted for privacy)

the e-mail I received seemed a little more final than yours, but I guess it's all the same.

16. hollyb

hollyb Active Member

Hi. Can anyone comment on the fit of the RL Sanderson compared to a AE #5 last shoe? I've been informed by AE that it is built on the #3 last however I've seen posts stating it is on the #2 last. On the #3 last I size down (similar to #5) however for the #2 I am TTS. Looking for some advise, as I am not aware of any options where I live to try them on. Thanks.

17. bucksfan

bucksfan Senior member

... And here they are... Love that fast shipping!

Side note: not much paste wax to try to remove - maybe they are listening!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  18. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

I found that it fits similarly, but is a tad bit narrower.

19. hollyb

hollyb Active Member

Thanks! By your estimation, go with whatever size I am on a #5 last? I assume it is slightly narrower in the toe box area?

20. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

In the second place, it's good to hear about their light hand on the paste wax.

In the first place -- those look fantastic! I just pulled the trigger on some burgundy shell MacNeils; I wonder if Mr. Grangaard's offer might persist for another few months of ramen-and-PBJ diet so I can afford a pair of 14AAA walnut shell Patriots...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.