• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, I received my first pair of AE today. I was looking for some casual shoes that I could beat up and look better with some patina. I ordered the Lubbock as it seemed like a nice casual shoe for $200
It is what it is. The finishing was just passable. I understand that it is supposed to be a rough-finished type shoe but glue drips and stains on the leather from where the patina was added are a little rougher than what I am used to. The last is nothing special--a little blobby but better than some AE and Alden I have seen. However, the fit is not quite right. The heel is a bit too big and even with the buckle clamped all the way down there is some slippage with my foot wanting to come out. It may have to do with the elastic behind the buckle (why would they do that?).
Anyway, it seems like my first foray down market is going to be a return.

If a person is in the game long enough, QC issues can come from just about anywhere - and I have had my share with AE. As of late I experienced it with C&J burgundy shell cordovan captoe boots from BB (Peal & Co.) - retail $998. They arrived at my door with numerous nicks, scratches, etc. And worse yet was that the finish on the upper near the top of the boots was literally rubbing off. Yes - they were promptly returned. That was my first bad experience with a C&J product.

Pastor

Reaction score
At the park today with my kids and took a pic of what have become my favorite AEs.

Dundee in Cappuccino Cordovan

shoes1w.jpg

itsmejson

Reaction score
Sorry for the stupid question buty local store ordered me a pair of nuemora and agreed to honor the sales price but for the life of me I can't remember what it was
thats awesome! I called the shoe bank a few mins ago after reading your post to see if they received any more walnut dalton 2nds since mon/tues since they ran out. Low and behold they did an I they were kind enough to honor the sale price as well :)

If you guys had a choice between a pair of chili weybridges or chili byrons
what would you choose and why?

Last edited:

Shiny

Reaction score
Something going on here:

Maybe try a different width?

Superfluous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone here have the Rutledge, particularly in the walnut? Would you say the leather is a bit cracky?

gooter

Reaction score
Burgundy shell MacNeils arrived today from the shoebank. Look nearly perfect but are too small! I tried on the same size in leather at a local store and they fit perfectly, but not so with the pair that arrived. Too bad, so sad.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, I received my first pair of AE today. I was looking for some casual shoes that I could beat up and look better with some patina. I ordered the Lubbock as it seemed like a nice casual shoe for $200
It is what it is. The finishing was just passable. I understand that it is supposed to be a rough-finished type shoe but glue drips and stains on the leather from where the patina was added are a little rougher than what I am used to. The last is nothing special--a little blobby but better than some AE and Alden I have seen. However, the fit is not quite right. The heel is a bit too big and even with the buckle clamped all the way down there is some slippage with my foot wanting to come out. It may have to do with the elastic behind the buckle (why would they do that?).
Anyway, it seems like my first foray down market is going to be a return.
You ordered the Lubbock? To put it in Brooks Brothers terms, that's like buying the 346 brand and then telling everyone how bad the quality of Brooks Brothers is. There are much better options for your rainy day shoe.

ddsg

Reaction score
Does anyone here have the Rutledge, particularly in the walnut? Would you say the leather is a bit cracky?

I do and I have to agree. As much as I love the shoe and how it looks (I'm actually wearing it right now) the left toe cap has developed a spiderweb like pattern that seems to be a crack in the finish. On top of that, the leather is ridiculously fragile to the point where it dented when I dropped an empty file folder (thin cardboard). My shoe shiner also accidentally nipped it with his nail while brushing it and left a deep gouge in the leather.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics