• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

g.michael

Reaction score

My Webgem burgundy shell Daltons arrived this afternoon. Here they are, straight out of the box:

Hopefully I will get time to brush them and try them on tomorrow; although it may very well be next week before they make it back out of the box based on my schedule. I can't wait to break them in and see how they shine up!

Congrats--they look phenomenal. The new, more burgundy finish looks good from what I can see!

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just e-mailed them. How long did it take to get your boots and can you tell me what they charged? Thanks.

You might check out the thread I posted about my experience.

If you are local to the DC area, it's really nice to walk in and pick your leather out of a stack of hides and get measured and come away five weeks later with boots. If you aren't local to the DC area, I'd recommend finding someplace closer to home or going with an outfit like Russell who is used to doing business from afar.

g.michael

Reaction score

Very Nice, mine should arrive tomorrow!! How should these be cared for. I ordered the cordovan cream but I saw earlier in the thread that was no good?

Send the cream back. Look for either Venetian shoe cream or Saphir Renovateur for conditioning, and a paste wax (color matched) for occasional use (Saphir, Kiwi, Alden, etc). Buy a good horsehair brush and use it to brush the shoes for a couple minutes (particularly the creases) after every wearing (if wearing infrequently), or every other wearing if part of a weekly rotation, or more often if you feel like it. Buff with an old cotton t-shirt, microfiber cloth, or nylon hose. Use the conditioner and wax after every 12-15 wearings or for touch ups as needed--use both of them sparingly.

I'm not a fanatic so I personally think a strict following of the Mac method is a bit over the top. All of my cordovan shoes look great with about 90 seconds of brushing after every other wearing and some buffing with a soft cloth. Conditioner and wax used sparingly every couple months or so as needed.

perfectson

Reaction score
IMO, Chukkas are a good starting point as they present like a PTB when the pant leg is down. I had no interest in boots until I acquired a shell chukka from Alden (cigar). I now have other boots as well - all shell - chukkas, captoe, NST. My chukkas are my go-to casual footwear, particularly with denim. While mine happen to all be Alden, AE has some very nice options.

seems like the perfect time to pic drop the infamous AE Amoks :)

Jigg

Reaction score
New shoe day. I'm wearing a new pair today and noticed that there are 2 nails protruding a little from the heel. Does that wear down over time or should I be concerned?

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So, turning to Allen Edmonds experts. I need a new pair of dress shoes, I currently have Aldens Cap Toe Boot #8 and a J Crew Dress Shoe. I'm looking for an every day wear type of dress shoe, what Allen Edmond model would be best for this? My everyday wear to the office is usually slacks and a button down shirt, occasional tie.

cbtaylor

Reaction score
Send the cream back. Look for either Venetian shoe cream or Saphir Renovateur for conditioning, and a paste wax (color matched) for occasional use (Saphir, Kiwi, Alden, etc). Buy a good horsehair brush and use it to brush the shoes for a couple minutes (particularly the creases) after every wearing (if wearing infrequently), or every other wearing if part of a weekly rotation, or more often if you feel like it. Buff with an old cotton t-shirt, microfiber cloth, or nylon hose. Use the conditioner and wax after every 12-15 wearings or for touch ups as needed--use both of them sparingly.
I'm not a fanatic so I personally think a strict following of the Mac method is a bit over the top. All of my cordovan shoes look great with about 90 seconds of brushing after every other wearing and some buffing with a soft cloth. Conditioner and wax used sparingly every couple months or so as needed.

Thanks so much!!

hohneokc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So, turning to Allen Edmonds experts. I need a new pair of dress shoes, I currently have Aldens Cap Toe Boot #8 and a J Crew Dress Shoe. I'm looking for an every day wear type of dress shoe, what Allen Edmond model would be best for this? My everyday wear to the office is usually slacks and a button down shirt, occasional tie.

I would suggest the Sanford, Strand, or McAllister in whichever shade fits your wardrobe best. These are long-time favorites and timeless classics.

A little more "out there" suggestions - MacNeil, Hamptons (in brown), Bradley, Larchmont, Delray, etc.

Good luck in your search.

Chris

clarksdb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Brown Delray today.  Super comfortable, and a great looking shoe, IMHO:

Debating between brown delray or brown strands. I know the walnut strands are very popular but am I correct in thinking the brown strands would be more versatile?

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I would suggest the Sanford, Strand, or McAllister in whichever shade fits your wardrobe best. These are long-time favorites and timeless classics.
A little more "out there" suggestions - MacNeil, Hamptons (in brown), Bradley, Larchmont, Delray, etc.
Good luck in your search.
Chris

Great! thanks a bunch

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have you considered a plain toe blucher such as the Leeds, or if you want to go with Aldens again, their PTB in #8, cigar, or ravello? Chukkas would serve the same purpose as PTBs. Brogues are nice too, but a plain toe might form a better foundation for brogues later on.

Last edited:

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you considered a plain toe blucher such as the Leeds, or if you want to go with Aldens again, their PTB in #8, cigar, or ravello? Chukkas would serve the same purpose as PTBs. Brogues are nice too, but a plain toe might form a better foundation for brogues later on.

This is a great piece of advice

Coldsnap

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The J Crew is actually a plain toe blucher, got it from Mr. Porter. I really like this shoe actually, I nearly wear it every day. I've never been a fan of broque stuff to be honest, I'm young and I just think they look wrong on me.

I think a nice PTB Aldens in black would serve me very well. Since my J crew are brown.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads