• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

balmoralsoccer

Reaction score

Can't, or my feet won't fit width-wise across the ball (I wear a 14 EEE).  I suspect it's the last; these are the only shoes I own on the 8 last.

same with me--9eee in clifton or too narrow at the ball--but the quarters nearly kiss. keep having trouble deciding if i want to put in a tongue pad just for cosmetic purposes... :p

balmoralsoccer

Reaction score

Debating between brown delray or brown strands. I know the walnut strands are very popular but am I correct in thinking the brown strands would be more versatile?

i know i just said this a few posts ago, but if you already have dark-ish shoes, diversify! walnut strands! (truly a sf and aaac staple, really, but that's not the only reason, i swear!)

acousticfoodie

Reaction score
Got caught in rain today :-( Weather app said it was gonna be sunny too! First time getting soles soaked and walking with wet soles. I've put them lying down on the side and stuffed with newspapers...Decreased shoe life severely form this one incident?

Papa Doble

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Got caught in rain today :-( Weather app said it was gonna be sunny too! First time getting soles soaked and walking with wet soles. I've put them lying down on the side and stuffed with newspapers...Decreased shoe life severely form this one incident?

I've had this happen. Shoes were fine. Put trees in them when they dry and let them rest for another day.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you guys had a choice between a pair of chili weybridges or chili byrons
what would you choose and why?

The Byron is a classic captoe bal and the weybridge is a medallion toe bal. Can't go wrong with either one, but the weybridge is definitely more unique and more versatile, IMO. I used to own them both, but now I just own the weybridge. Also the weybridge is on the 8 last, one of AE's best.

OldManMachine

Reaction score
Brand new Allen Edmonds Clifton in burgundy with Pantherella 100% cotton OTC navy pindot socks. What a combo!! I just need to polish the shoes up though.
Nice shoes! Are the Clifton's still in production? I can't seem to find them on AE's website, but they are shown on Nordstrom's website.

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sounds like a great choice.  Congrats.  Were these subject to the $100 custom charge on top of the standard shell price?

My SA is always good to me, so I asked him since they make all shell MTO now if they can simply put the poron instead of the hard insole, and a natural colored outsole. He was glad to take down those details at no charge. Heck, I got the Rediscover sales price on it. I have always been an advocate of shopping at the AE brick & mortars for reasons like this.

cbtaylor

Reaction score
Patriots to work yesterday. After wearing for a day, I really enjoyed them. They were very comfortable and seemed to fit better as the day went along. I would say they fit pretty true to size, compared to Park Ave and the like. at least for me.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Patriots to work yesterday. After wearing for a day, I really enjoyed them.  They were very comfortable and seemed to fit better as the day went along.  I would say they fit pretty true to size, compared to Park Ave and the like. at least for me.

Nice! I'm enjoying mine as well. Maiden voyage is today.

bucksfan

Reaction score
Nice shoes! Are the Clifton's still in production? I can't seem to find them on AE's website, but they are shown on Nordstrom's website.

I believe they are a Nordstrom exclusive - they show up in 2nds at the outlets / shoe bank though.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've had this happen. Shoes were fine. Put trees in them when they dry and let them rest for another day.

I have come to believe that this is one of the issues that is blown out of proportion on this forum. I don't mean anything offensive by it at all
peepwall[1].gif
, because believe me, I took a very deep breath before walking out in the rain for the first time in a pair of my nice shoes. I also had heart palpitations while feverishly searching the internet for what to do after I had a shoe soaking a while back on my way home during a heavy thunderstorm. I think the simple issue is that we cringe at the thought of paying hundreds of dollars on something, only to go out and scrape it up, get it dirty and wet. We lose touch with the fact that shoes have been fulfilling this purpose since the beginning of time, and they are made to hold up in adverse conditions. I posted a few days ago about a pair of Bostonians that I have relegated to beater rainy weather shoes. I am eager for them to "die" so that I can justify replacing them with another pair of AE's, and yet they keep holding on. I think this is a decent laboratory experiment showing that if cheap shoes do this well when they are being put in the worst conditions, how much better should a nice pair hold up? I think that the realistic approach to caring for your shoes after they get wet (like the one outlined by AE in their video library) or one of the many others available online, is perfectly adequate. Let them dry with some newspaper inside them, lay them on their sides to allow air to circulate around the soles, put your trees in them after they are mostly dry, and condition/polish them afterwords. I know that there is a difference in durability between heavy cowhide leather that is used for boots and saddles, etc, and the more delicate calf skin used for nicer dress shoes.... However, the difference lies more in the ability to take a beating from heavy use as opposed to being splashed with some rain water. I know people have had other experiences and may have some stains or welts show up on their shell, etc., but I think these are the exceptions to the rule. Millions of men wear dress shoes every day, and I don't see people running around with horrible stains and such all over them.

violethour1951

Reaction score
Patriots to work yesterday. After wearing for a day, I really enjoyed them. They were very comfortable and seemed to fit better as the day went along. I would say they fit pretty true to size, compared to Park Ave and the like. at least for me.

Reminds me of the Alden leisure hand-sewn loafer, but with a more pointed toebox. Looks like a great fit on you.

Last edited:

JubeiSpiegel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will add to the wet shoes discussion.

One of my first AE experiences was wearing my walnut Strands, when my car broke down. I walked home 5 miles through shrubbery and tarmac, 2 of those miles were in the pouring rain.

I dried them out for a couple of days, like others on this thread have pointer out. Then gave them some conditioner and polish, they were good as new.

I don't baby my shoes anymore, as they have proven resilient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads