Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I remember you posting about that experience some time ago. I think that is exactly what I was trying to say. Obviously we aren't in the business of "abusing" our nice shoes. However, wearing them in a real world environment is what is necessary. People don't typically remember to post about how great their shoes look after an experience like that. However, they are quick to mention when a stain comes up and they can't get rid of it. That creates a percieved bias towards the belief that these shoes can't handle a rain storm, and it just isn't true. It is the squeaky wheel scenario... you typically only hear about the bad experiences and forget about all the good ones that weren't reported.

2. otc

otc Senior member

Newspaper will help dry them fast...although the shoe tree might be more important for shape.

At the end of the day...they are shoes. They are designed to walk on the ground. Also...cows get wet all of the time.

If it is pouring rain outside, I generally won't put on my nicest shoes but that is only partially because I am trying to treat them nicely (since obviously not wearing them in the rain is strictly better than wearing them in the rain)...for the most part I don't wear them in the rain because I don't like having wet socks all day. I'll put on something with a rubber sole or maybe even something more waterproof (workboots with snoseal/LP on them) instead.

3. bha

bha Well-Known Member

Just picked up a pair of Navy Cronmoks last weekend at the AE factory store (during their yearly sale). Best value I've ever seen at AE for $249.

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF7135_1_40000000001_-1

They come with gold-coloured laces (similar to the colour of the sole of the shoe) and also a pair of RED laces that I think look really awesome!

Rocking these boots today with the red laces and a pair of dark denim (slim). Looks amazing!!

How do I keep these things looking awesome? I can clean them, but am afraid to polish them because:

-Navy shoe polish required
    -Heels and toes are dark blue, but the rest of the shoe is medium blue.
    -Sole is very light so I can't get shoe polish on it.
    -Can't really use edge dressing on the sole so it's gonna start to look beat up in a while.. other than cleaning I don't know how to treat the sole.

My best guess is to get some AE navy shoe polish (or the brand I can't remember that makes the AE shoe polish). Light application of polish all over the shoe (avoiding the soles) and then buff the entire shoe with a brush. I'm assuming the tips and heels will stay darker because they're coloured that way from the factory (as opposed to more polish or some special treatment I have to repeat)

Does this make sense? Or will I end up with an entirely dark blue shoe? ... which I really want to avoid!

4. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Crap, I wish thought of this. I'll be jealous when you get yours!

5. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

Fantastic looking shoe! Same size as your park avenues?

6. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

So use neutral. Or just conditioner.

7. seer

seer Senior member

I use boot oil on my natural edging. It darkens it a little but looks nice and seems to protect well...

8. cbtaylor

cbtaylor Senior member

Thanks! yes 9D in both.

9. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Thanks! They are discontinued. I got mine from the Shoe Bank.

Thanks! Yep the captoe placement is spot on for these. IMO a much better shoe than the Fifth Avenue.

10. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Wish the Cliftons came in the oxford style. Like the 8 last and the distance between toe tip and cap toe line, but don't want to add cap toe derby unless it's a boot.

11. g.michael

g.michael Senior member

Yes, just brushing and buffing regularly (wipe down first with damp cloth if dusty/dirty). Conditioner and wax only as needed for touch-ups or after 12-15 wears (varies on your needs). They just don't need a lot of wax/conditioner to remain looking good due to the tanning the cordovan undergoes, so the brushing/buffing goes a long way.

12. johnnyletrois

johnnyletrois Senior member

I usually wear an 11D in Park Aves and Strands, and they fit pretty well. I tried Bayfields in 11D and they are way too narrow. Tried 11.5D and too big. No Bayfields available in 11E, so no Bayfields for me. Just got some Malverns delivered in 11D and they are too narrow as well, and no 11E available. I'm sort of disappointed as the Malverns look really nice, and I was hoping they would work.

13. AnGeLiCbOrIs

AnGeLiCbOrIs Affiliate Vendor

14. gooter

gooter Senior member

oh man, I think I need to return the Long Branch and get those Bayfields!

15. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

Yeah, I think I prefer the Bayfield over the Long Branch too. The Bayfield is more versatile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.