• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never heard this before - interesting ....
I have C&J's (Peals) from BB and C&J Benchgrade, and there is no noticeable difference.

Some of the differences between P&Co and C&J BG include channeled soles and the edge of the sole by the arch is curved (sorry don't know the technical term for this). These are extra detailing that some people appreciate but others might think negligible. IMHO I think the leather of HG is much better than that of the P&Co. HG I think has oak bark tanned soles which I am not sure if P&Co. have the same standard.

The difference between C&J and AE is there but I think it comes down to the fit of the last, style, and if you are willing to pay the extra $ for the C&J. I am still a firm believer that AE makes an excellent shoe at their price point.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Some of the differences between P&Co and C&J BG include channeled soles and the edge of the sole by the arch is curved (sorry don't know the technical term for this). These are extra detailing that some people appreciate but others might think negligible. IMHO I think the leather of HG is much better than that of the P&Co. HG I think has oak bark tanned soles which I am not sure if P&Co. have the same standard.
The difference between C&J and AE is there but I think it comes down to the fit of the last, style, and if you are willing to pay the extra $ for the C&J. I am still a firm believer that AE makes an excellent shoe at their price point.

This is exactly right. I own several pairs of the Peal C&Js, and there is no comparison to AE. They use better leather and are better finished. But you pay for that. That is not a knock against AE at all - both are good values at their respective price points.

Last edited:

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am still a firm believer that AE makes an excellent shoe at their price point.

No objection.

As I type I am wearing my dark brown shell Strands .....

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am still a firm believer that AE makes an excellent shoe at their price point.
No objection.
As I type I am wearing my dark brown shell Strands .....

Agreed. I look outside AE is when I want a particular shoe and do not like the last or styling for the AE version. My dislike for the Fifth Avenue is the major reason for going with the Peal perf. cap toe.

Odinloki

Reaction score

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to share a shot of my first AEs - the walnut Strands. Very pleased with them so far :)

shellshoe

Reaction score
Hi I downloaded the AE size guide from AE site http://www.allenedmonds.com/wcsstore/AllenEdmonds/Attachment/content/size_and_fit_guide.pdf and printed it out in the correct size (credit card fits into the box). My length after using the size guide turns out to be a size 11, I assume this would be an US size 11. What is puzzling is that all my shoes and boots are either US size 8 or US size 8.5 (Lucchese boots and Redwings boots etc.). Is AE's size that far off from the normal size that I need an 11?!

Is this an error?! I used a ruler to measure the length of my foot from heel to big toe and its between 26cm to 27cm.

Last edited:

DWFtx

Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance in my attempt to understand the comfort expectation of AE shoes. I have tried both the Del Ray and the Shelton and by the end of the day my feet are killing me. I have tried wearing them for a few hours over a period of days attempting to work up to longer periods of wear with no luck. Fortunately with Nordstroms great return policy I have been able to return them. I have also tried the C&J sold by Brooks Brothers with the same results. The fit seems to be okay with all of these shoes. I think it is the lack of cushioning that is creating the problem. I know Johnston & Murphy shoes are suppose to be of lesser quality but I have a pair of their Aristorcraft wingtips with the "Trampoline" cushioning that I can wear all day and they feel great. So, what is going on with my attempt to move to AE? I really like the quality and would like for them to work. Thanks for your help.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance in my attempt to understand the comfort expectation of AE shoes. I have tried both the Del Ray and the Shelton and by the end of the day my feet are killing me.  I have tried wearing them for a few hours over a period of days attempting to work up to longer periods of wear with no luck.  Fortunately with Nordstroms great return policy I have been able to return them.  I have also tried the C&J sold by Brooks Brothers with the same results.  The fit seems to be okay with all of these shoes.  I think it is the lack of cushioning that is creating the problem.  I know Johnston & Murphy shoes are suppose to be of lesser quality but I have a pair of their Aristorcraft wingtips with the "Trampoline" cushioning that I can wear all day and they feel great.  So, what is going on with my attempt to move to AE?  I really like the quality and would like for them to work.  Thanks for your help.

I have the Delray and this has never happened to me. Perhaps you should try a thin insole?

Last edited:

spitshine123

Reaction score
The blue cronmoks look great... but I was wondering what exactly does one wear with blue shoes? With casual wear, it would be too matchy-matchy with jeans and it is definitely too casual to wear with "business casual" clothes. Any thoughts?

BackInTheJox

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi I downloaded the AE size guide from AE site http://www.allenedmonds.com/wcsstore/AllenEdmonds/Attachment/content/size_and_fit_guide.pdf and printed it out in the correct size (credit card fits into the box). My length after using the size guide turns out to be a size 11, I assume this would be an US size 11. What is puzzling is that all my shoes and boots are either US size 8 or US size 8.5 (Lucchese boots and Redwings boots etc.). Is AE's size that far off from the normal size that I need an 11?!

Is this an error?! I used a ruler to measure the length of my foot from heel to big toe and its between 26cm to 27cm.

It's almost certain that your printer scaled the page down ever do slightly. Mine did it the first time I tried to print it out. Check the size by taking a credit card and putting it into that box they have for size comparison. On mine, the credit card was just slightly too big, and I realized my printer scaled things down. My shoe size was reading ~2 sizes too big with it I re-printed the guide without scaling and it was perfect.

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping someone can give me some guidance in my attempt to understand the comfort expectation of AE shoes. I have tried both the Del Ray and the Shelton and by the end of the day my feet are killing me. I have tried wearing them for a few hours over a period of days attempting to work up to longer periods of wear with no luck. Fortunately with Nordstroms great return policy I have been able to return them. I have also tried the C&J sold by Brooks Brothers with the same results. The fit seems to be okay with all of these shoes. I think it is the lack of cushioning that is creating the problem. I know Johnston & Murphy shoes are suppose to be of lesser quality but I have a pair of their Aristorcraft wingtips with the "Trampoline" cushioning that I can wear all day and they feel great. So, what is going on with my attempt to move to AE? I really like the quality and would like for them to work. Thanks for your help.

The only way I can make sense of your experience is to assume you usually wear dress shoes that are made almost like sneakers (Rockport, Ecco, "trampoline cushioning," etc.). Are my AE's as comfortable as a sneaker dress shoe, well no, but they're pretty darn comfortable for a dress shoe. Otherwise, maybe it's a fit/size issue. Where is the pain?

DWFtx

Reaction score
The only way I can make sense of your experience is to assume you usually wear dress shoes that are made almost like sneakers (Rockport, Ecco, "trampoline cushioning," etc.). Are my AE's as comfortable as a sneaker dress shoe, well no, but they're pretty darn comfortable for a dress shoe. Otherwise, maybe it's a fit/size issue. Where is the pain?
Thank you for your reply. The bottoms of my feet tend to be sore. I work at a stand up desk so I'm on my feet all day. By the time I walk to my garage a couple of blocks from my office at the end of day I can't wait to get out of the shoes. I have considered the fit and have been fitted at Brooks Brothers and and Nordstroms (not to say they are experts) and don't really feel any particular problems of them being too short, etc. As I mentioned I have worn J&M dress shoes for years and have been able live in them all day including walking around the city. I had hoped to move up to a bit higher quality shoe in an AE or CJ. Thanks for your help.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you may have to suck it up for a while until your feet get used to not walking on significant cushioning. They are harder and your feet may take a while to get used to it, but it is actually better for your foot this way if you can deal with the temporary soreness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads