• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Been reading forum for a couple of months now (first post) and made my first AE purchase.  I tried the Strand locally and was fitted for an 11D.  After doing research on the forum and finding out about the AE Factory Seconds I purchased a pair of Cordovan Bradley's in the 11D also.  My foot is not narrow at all and when I read about the Strand is says the 5-65 last is "long and narrow".  So I felt comfortable that the Bradley would be an equivalent fit, if not a bit roomier in the ball of the foot or toe area.

I've been trying to break them in by wearing them in the house last night and this morning.  My right foot (which is the slightly larger of my two) feels very snug on my little toe.  Enough that if I try and "stretch" my toes out I can see where my little toe is pushing out on the leather of the shoe.

So after all this background, here's my question(s).  I expect that the shoe will stretch/break-in a bit more and that it could end up being completely comfortable to wear.  I hate to think it wouldn't and that I should have gone up another half size.  The other concern is the way the leather is on the Bradley.  If my toe is pressing against the outside of the shoe enough to stretch the leather, will this stretching ultimately make the shoe stretch in the one spot making the shoe not look correct anymore?

I know this is the whole downside to purchasing online, but I was very eager to get the Bradley's and couldn't beat the cost of getting the factory seconds (which look to be great).  I appreciate any advice in advance.

What I have in these two models:
9D walnut calf strand
9D dark brown shell strand
10D burgundy shell bradley

With my strands I wear thin socks typically. With my bradleys I wear a medium-thickness sock typically. There is no possible way I could wear a bradley in 9D.

MOCKBA

Reaction score

Anyone have the Rutledge?  That's one sweet looking bal!

I don't own the Rutledge, but I tried it on with the intention of buying. While I did not purchase it due to the last not being a great fit for me, I would dare to say that the profile and styling make this the nicest looking cap toe (and one of the nicest looking shoes, period) in the AE lineup.

Last edited:

AlexE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Made the drive to the Brooks Brothers CountryClub store to compare the AE pert. cap toe vs. the C&J pert. cap toe. A side by side comparison, so you all can look at the proportion differences:

THe C&J looks better in proportions, and the leather quality and details are a bit better. But at retail, i don't feel it is twice as good as the AE, i was hoping it would be more sleek in person.

I agree with your judgement regarding the proportions. The main issue I have with the AE pert. cap toe (which is basically a fifth avenue with slightly changed details) is the shortish looking toe cap.

The price differential cannot be used as a proxy for quality since it is distorted by tariffs: In the US, C&J will be massively more expensive than AE (I think C&J Benchgrade goes for a ~$570 before taxes vs. AE for $335 before taxes), but this is caused by tariffs imposed on shoes made in the EU. In Europe, the C&Js would be around 340EUR (excl. VAT) and AE would be 330EUR (excl. VAT), this time it is the EU imposing tariffs on US-made shoes.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I was in San Francisco and saw their red white and blues in person. These are the model I ordered, but I'm still waiting for mine.

polojock615

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Strawfuts in the wild. Never mind the pants; I was leaning in to get a good view of the shoes.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got to stop by an AE store today to see the new arrivals.

The Neumoks in suede look nice. They are so soft that they don't form properly around the lasts.

Really like the Hamptons in person. But I don't know how I'd wear them - sort of in between a dress and casual shoe:

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, it is indeed their version of the Presidio.  I think the sole is different, however.  There may also be other minor differences as is common in BB versions of many AE/Alden varieties.

Thanks! Yes, the sole is different. It is the standard BB/AE sole - the rubber Topy-like outsole on the front half.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The welt and the cap toe line are the major differences between the two. Also agree that $420 for the Peal is tough to justify. For me, there was no way I would ever buy 5th Avenues and I had a few hundred in gift cards, which was why I went with the Peal on sale. For what it's worth, my next cap toe will probably be Meermin.

On the BB website, the Peal version (i.e., C&J benchgrade) is $598 and the AE version is $368. I prefer the Peal version for the reasons identified earlier in this thread - proportions, location of cap, etc. However, $598 for C&J benchgrade is out of whack, when a guy can get C&J benchgrade models from PLAL (and a few British vendors) for around $400. $400-ish is a nice price for C&J benchgrade. I would not pay $598 for this shoe. For that price tag I would go with black shell.

Sunstealer73

Reaction score
Anyone familiar with the AE outlet in Mebane, NC? I'm on vacation and will be driving by there in a couple of days. Was wondering if the selection is decent. I've never been to an actual AE store.

Bandit44

Reaction score
It's a nice store. If you have an odd size like I do, you can call ahead and have them email you a list of their in-stock shoes in your size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads