Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mudmutt

mudmutt Member

I'd be interested in knowing the same. Between now and Christmas I will be in DC (thinking Nordstrom's Rack), Raleigh NC (near Mebane) and Birmingham AL (near the Leeds AL outlet). I'd like any feedback if anyone has made it to any of these locations and what may be found there. Unfortunately I don't make it to WI at all, otherwise I'd plan a visit to the factory store.

2. delmar

delmar Senior member

Nice, Thanks for the pictures. I ordered the same pair too. We should be expecting them this week.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012

3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Always wonder what type of dye they use to obtain that bright white... acrylic?

4. dancingbear

dancingbear Senior member

The Mebane outlet is a nice store, but be cautious of your expectations. It is a great place to try on multiple sizes of different lasts. Selection is good but depending on your size, you may not find exactly what you are looking for. I have been to 3 different AE outlets and that holds for all of them. It is an outlet.

Best reason to go is to start a dialog with a salesperson. That way you can always call and have things shipped. They can also search all outlet inventories for you as you are looking for something specific.

If you are going to be in Raleigh, it is well worth the short drive.

5. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

As BB has sales every month, the Peal can easily be had for $400ish. It's also not benchgrade, but made to BB's specifications, which are above benchgrade and below handgrade. Still, it's a shame BB raised the price by $100 in 2012 because it was a pretty decent deal when you could get the Peals on sale for $300 last Thanksgiving.

6. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

DC also has 2 full fledged AE stores besides the Rack. One in downtown DC and the other in the outer suburbs Reston, VA. I think that the AE stores will match the clearance prices from the website. Other folks here reported that they matched the prices when regular Nordies was having their sale (that may still be going on). The Rack has a limited selection of AE shoes. They are first quality and not seconds. The shoes I've seen there do not seem to be returns to my eye.You will pay about 1/3 less from regular retail at the Rack for all their selections. In the past 2-3 months I've seen the following models at the DC Racks: Cortland, Hale, and Hastings. Maybe a couple of non leather soled loafers that I can't remember.

7. TheStormnMormon

TheStormnMormon Well-Known Member

--

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012

8. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

An associate at the Minneapolis store told me there wasn't going to be a fall catalog. I hope she was mistaken.

9. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

10. TheStormnMormon

Here's my contribution - but first, a short story:

So, I thrifted these - the style name is "Leeds" - about four, five months ago. Now, I have virtually no knowledge about these, simply because I've never bought second-hand AE. The leather that they're made of is quite head turning. Case and point, I was at Nordstrom picking up a few ties when I noticed that the shoeshiner was at his station, so I headed over to get them all spiffed up. Upon sitting down and placing my feet up, he looks at me and asks who makes them (to which I reply Allen Edmonds,) and further asks me if he can inspect them off of my feet. I obliged him, and he after a thorough checkup, places it back onto my foot and proceeds to shine. While he was shining, he told me that he had never seen the Leeds in anything other than black/brown/cordovan; he mentioned that they, at first glance, looked like the type of leather that Louis Vuitton uses with certain shoes. All in all, he said that I should be proud to own something that he - in 20 years shining - not seen.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Now, without further ado, pictures:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. Ronsully

Ronsully New Member

They look interesting. Are they just pebble grain that have been polished

12. TheStormnMormon

I'm not going to pretend like I know anything about different grains of leather, but they were polished about three weeks ago. Haven't worn them since.

13. CHVIRUS01

CHVIRUS01 Member

MAN!!!

Sorry to break it to you guys, but you missed out on amazon's last final sale!! (Some of you may be kicking yourselves for this!)

I am not sure how cheap you can ever get a pair of park avenues again and most sold out quick with the 20% discount!!

Not bad I guess. Also managed to score a pair of black mctavish for $196 and change!

Not bad for a last midnight snipping deal :)

*sorry, had to cut out my information, don't want hate mail :(*

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I've never heard this before - interesting ....

I have C&J's (Peals) from BB and C&J Benchgrade, and there is no noticeable difference.

15. random-adam

random-adam Senior member

I can't provide any enlightenment, but wanted to chime in and agree with the shoe shine guy -- those look uniquely fantastic. Great find!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.