Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

I have the Shelton and with the double oak sole it was tough to get broken in. But I nevver experienced any discomfort.

You might try the AE Ashton or Benton. These are part of the Orthotic Collection that feature a padded orthotic insert and Vibram sole. I have the Benton and it is very comfortable if you do a lot of standing and/or walking everyday.

Chris

2. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Lots of variables that can cause the discomfort. It could be due to breaking in the leather sole. Depending on how much you walk, this can take a handful of wears (single and double will also factor in this). Another factor is arch support. Depending on your foot structure this might be something to consider. Finally, the comfort level may be due to habituation. Your J&M may be more comfortable because they (I assume) have been worn for a significant period of time whereas the AE & C&J are new (apple vs. oranges comparison).

Good luck and I hope you find shoes that work out. Both AE and C&J are good shoes and should be a nice next step from J&M.

3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Here's what I would do:

1. Go to AE to get sized. Nordstrom is hit or miss in its ability to get you in the right size on the first try.
    2. If you have the right size, the fact that you stand all day makes me wonder if you are having arch support issues and should consider an insert.

4. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012

5. TheStormnMormon

TheStormnMormon Well-Known Member

Thank you! I think it rather probable that someone here can enlighten me - for completeness' sake, you know?

Oh my, oh my - those are stunning. The name, though...

Oh man, I'm sorry to hear that! My AE Park Ave's were rather uncomfortable at first, but after a few good wears, they broke in perfectly. Try going into an AE store and having a fitting - that's all I Can recommend. Like I said, once my Park Ave's were broken in - perfect. Never a sore sole after that!

6. CHVIRUS01

CHVIRUS01 Member

Anyone else picked up Park Avenues from amazon's last final minutes before midnight yesterday?

They were reduced and with the 20% off managed to get a pair of them for $208.

Also got the black mctavish for $196 and change since their price went down from $295 to $245 last night.

Kinda weird how amazon does last minute random reductions on shoes!

7. evolved

evolved Senior member

I think I'm in the minority here, but I find the Cronmok to be a really hideous boot, lol.

8. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I'm really liking the Tan Eagle County.

[​IMG]

9. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Thank you! I thought I was the only one.. :D. To each his own, but I am not liking any of the new boots in the least....

10. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Has anyone who can't fit into the 2 last tried sizing up on width? e.g.: D to E or EEE? I was thinking of trying that, but reading some reviews on the Allen Edmonds site, it sounds like going to a wider width still does not give enough room in the toe box and also causes other issues. Curious if anyone has been successful with this.

11. evolved

evolved Senior member

I don't mind the Eagle County, but I'm not in the market for a work boot, and the Long Branch isn't bad save for the smokey gray leather which looks hideous. In any event, I'm happy with my Bayfields and will be ordering a pair of walnut Daltons soon.

12. PhiPsi32

PhiPsi32 Senior member

What until you see it IRL. AE marketing photos are horrible, and by that I mean really bad.

13. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

+100

You may be in the minority, but trust me, you are not alone. :D

To each their own .....

14. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

For those who love the 8 last and want AE to come out with a cap toe balmoral on this last, the picture below shows how sleek the 8 last really is. A comparison of a pair of Santoni's and AE's Delray:

[​IMG]

I was surprised by how close the Delray toe is to the Santoni toe.

15. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

So I already have the kenilworth in brown, what would you guys recommend for a 2nd pair but in black? I need to replace my Ecco's, although they are comfortable they're just plain ugly..

PS.. How does do AE's take to break in? This is my 3rd time wearing these Kenilworth and my left side pinky is hurting.. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.