1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

The cork is still there by necessity, but the benefits are lost. See discussion and my post from about 4 days ago.

2. nubirth

nubirth Well-Known Member

Gonna order some Dalton's as my next Allen Edmond purchase. Does anyone know if they run true to size?? I wear a true to size 9 in the Allen Edmond Strand. Thanx.

[​IMG]

3. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

So much better than those stupid Alden Clown show wings everytime I see those Alden wings I am waiting for the small car and 40 clowns to come popping out...

Just teasing of course enjoy your new boots and these will make some one very happy - wish they were my size as I would have taken them off your hands.

4. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I would suggest a 9.5 or 10 in the Dalton...I take a 12eee in the strand. 2 of my three Daltons are 13E and one is 12eee. Personally if they made a 12.5 E it would probably be perfect for me. The 12eee Dalton fits really well though my toe is a smidge closer to the front than I typically like but being boots they are forgiving

5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

LOL come on now! I like my Daltons just fine, but *I* keep expecting my foot to start talking to me in the Dan Akyroyd cone head voice whenever I look down at mine.

It's funny how polarizing the Alden WTBoot vs Dalton debate is. There are so few who live both. It's either one or the other.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  6. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

7. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Shrug. Have both, love both. I do think that the Alden WT boot doesn't photograph well - it looks much better in person than in photos.

8. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

It's interesting that I may be the one guy here who wears one size across all AE models (except the voyager, where I go up .5).

I do 10.5 3E in everything else.

And also in Alden Barrie clown shoes. ;)

9. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

If you don't like the Allen Edmonds you are seeing, please go and get you some Johnston and Murphy or Cole Haan and experience some great Chinese or Indian quality. See how you like those.

10. yanagi

yanagi Senior member

This is too defensive IMO. I recognize that people need to have fair expectations at AE's price point, but with Cole Haan, you're talking about shoes that retail at $258 compared to $385 for AE. If you want to do that, I can suggest Carmina at $525 (US retail price) that have noticeably better finishing than AE.

11. Al Dente

Al Dente Senior member

To me AE has a unique standing in the market. Lowest priced well-made shoe. Here in St. Louis, I can't get Alden (I don't need my feet to look massive anyway) or Carmina, that I know of. Ordering Carmina and Meermin seems to be a risk and a hassle, although I would have like a shearling lined Boot. I would try it, but it is a barrier to entry. When you climb higher up the market the shoes are pristine, some look a bit feminine, and there is definitely less choice of styles. Can you imagine scuffing a $1,000 pair of shoes?

AE has stores, easy returns, sales, many more styles, and if you add in the Shoebank, you can't even keep track of them all. I probably don't like the majority of their shoes but I love that there are so many styles and that they keep trying new ideas.

Their negatives are real, and a bother. And I can see how someone who is just thinking "I want a cap toe and a wingtip" would be less interested in the rest of what AE offers.

4 people like this.
  12. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

This is a great writeup and to much I share the same view. I have tried to venture to other manufacturers overseas but it is too hard to get to them. I appreciate AE and its standing in the shoe market. I will continue to support the brand but not at the msrp retail price. At the sale price and seconds price I can tolerate the defects and imperfections.
    This is a public forum and I think all opinions are welcome as long as they are expressed in classy manners with facts, reasons and without personal insults.

1 person likes this.
  13. StylinProfilin

StylinProfilin Well-Known Member

I'm looking to take advantage of the AE sale. Can anyone recommend me a good boot that can get me through the NYC winter as a commuter? I will most likely wear them for my commute and then switch to something else at the office. It doesn't have to be specifically AE. I'm open to other brands.

14. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

I just get aggravated with those who turn this forum into a bitch, moan and complain thread, when this is supposed to be an Allen Edmonds "APPRECIATION" thread! Appreciate what is good about the company, and the vastly positive things they are doing, which far outweigh the nit picking negatives I see for the most part here. I submit, that for the price, which will soon be $279 for a lot of great shoes for RDA (Strand among them) to $327 for the rest of the line for the most part during RDA, you can't get a better shoe bang for the buck.
    But instead we get the constant flow of "my seconds have a welt gap of 1/8" and aren't completely closed, should I send them back or keep them", or "my $127 Patriots have a wrinkle, should I keep them" BS. Geez! They are seconds for a reason! The lion's share of first quality shoes are pretty damn nice, and no other company is even trying to make available the different sizes that AE is is offering for those with very small, very big or narrow or wide feet. So, I for one am saying Bravo, Allen Edmonds, keep up the good work, and keep striving for the improvements you are seeking.

7 people like this.
  15. yanagi

yanagi Senior member

I understand your point. It's not an exaggeration to say that this thread at times is the "Allen Edmonds Seconds 'Is this OK?' Thread." I agree that at $279-$327, the value per dollar is excellent.

But the person you responded to wasn't complaining about seconds; he said he buys at full retail.

16. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Couldn't agree more on this...Along with the easy availability, free shipping and returns and stellar customer service, I have nothing but appreciation for AE

1 person likes this.
  17. RLeslieS

RLeslieS Senior member

+1

Given the size of my feet, AE is the only game in town, so I'm grateful for the quality I'm getting. Even though there are better quality shoes elsewhere, I'm not able to wear them. My choices are AE or bespoke . . . and it would be even harder to afford bespoke with the alimony I'd be paying.

1 person likes this.
  18. Gabru

Gabru Senior member

Too much text in here ........
    Tried some cleanup today

[​IMG]

5 people like this.
  19. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

I addressed the first quality concerns in my original rant:
    The lion's share of first quality shoes are pretty damn nice

20. Southwick

Southwick Well-Known Member

This is a good point. Did anyone ever get a straight answer from the company when there was talk about the uppers of the top line shoes being assembled in DR and then mated to the soles in WI?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.