1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CGKIII

CGKIII Well-Known Member

Brogue suede Strands, liking them more each time I wear them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. clothed4thought

clothed4thought Member

Walnut strands just arrived, first AE shoe in 10D. SA a few weeks ago fitted me in a 10D while two years ago I was fitted in a 10.5D. Love the shoe but concerned about the fit. Big toe is about 1.5 inches away from the front of the shoe, but my pinky toe seems to be getting squashed a little from the side/front. Should these shoes fit like that initially and then they will stretch out a bit? Or am I asking for trouble by keeping them as is? With thicker socks, it's quite difficult to move any toe except the big one around.

Overall the shoe feels tight running up the outside of the foot.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  3. rostov

rostov Senior member

FWIW, I love my Shreveports. They work great with jeans and chinos (especially Burgundy). I rarely wear my Strands anymore...

4. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

Thanks. I'm going to keep them. I'll work them in during the three weeks of Chicago Summer. Do you get any weird wrinkling in the weave?

5. rostov

rostov Senior member

In my experience, the vamp will not crease as typical with calf, but will roll. I've only had mine since this past fall, so they've only been worn a dozen times or so, but they're looking great.

1 person likes this.
  6. RitchieBro

RitchieBro Senior member

Any of them candidates for thinning the herd?

7. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

This has been my experience as well - the tap soles seem to be more durable than the Danites. Now, that's not to say that the
    Danites aren't of high quality, they just seem more prone to wear and tear relative to the tap soles. I also think the tap soles look more professionals - Danites seem better for more casual shoes (Rush Street).

8. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

When you were measured two years ago was it at some department store or men's store that only carried "D" widths? If so, I wonder if he suspected you needed a 10E but didn't carry one, so he moved you up to a 10.5 D.

A proper fit should feel "comfortably snug" right out of the box. I suspect you need the greater width a 10E or 10.5D would provide. Try not to focus on available space between your big toe and the end of the shoe. Instead, match the widest part of your foot to the widest part of the shoe. If there's no gap between your heel and the back of the shoe, the length is likely correct regardless of the void between big toe and the end of the shoe.

Also, if you have to try to stretch a shoe to make your toes comfortable (i) they may never stretch enough, and (ii) you probably have the wrong size and/or last for you.

9. pizzapie

pizzapie Well-Known Member

Might the different wear 've due to your use of the shoes. I.e. you wear casual shoes more often with more ground wear than a more formal shoe?

10. flylikeneagle

flylikeneagle Active Member

Nice. I just received mine from the shoebank, and really like how they look in person.

Did these take a while to break in, and how do you care for them? After looking at several sources, I'm unsure about how to care for the football leather. AE's shoe care reference guide recommends conditioner cleaner and brown polish for the brown football grain Patriot, but AE recommends only leather lotion for the Duke in the same leather. Some of the reviewers on AEs website use boot oil, which I'm not sure is appropriate for the football leather

11. clothed4thought

clothed4thought Member

Two years ago it was at an AE store. Recently, it was at Nordstrom. Your rationale sounds correct; the AE SA might not have had a 10E available. When I tried the 10.5 recently, I did feel a little slippage. But two years ago, I don't remember slippage and was set on buying the 10.5D—different socks maybe?

Thanks Count. I think conclusion is I have the wrong size. Looks like I better go try some more on.

Edit: the person I was with 2 years ago, just reminded me she thinks I tried on a 10E and that I thought it was too wide in the heel. I don't know though.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  12. gotlighters

gotlighters Senior member

13. coffeegrowler

coffeegrowler Active Member

Same thing happened on my shell Strand firsts that I recently received, with a little more fraying of leather along the welt line. While initially unsightly and annoying to see on the JR Redenbach sole I assume it will wear down with the rest of the sole after some use. Mine doesn't affect the shoe negatively, so I kept mine FWIW.

14. danwatts2005

danwatts2005 Senior member

The shoes are nice, but it seems to me that if black suits and blue shirts are required, they're going to want black shoes. But I don't know what kind of work it is, so I could be wrong. It doesn't sound like the company is very fashion forward.

15. Al Dente

Al Dente Senior member

Nice.  I just received mine from the shoebank, and really like how they look in person.

Did these take a while to break in, and how do you care for them?  After looking at several sources, I'm unsure about how to care for the football leather.  AE's shoe care reference guide recommends conditioner cleaner and brown polish for the brown football grain Patriot, but AE recommends only leather lotion for the Duke in the same leather.  Some of the reviewers on AEs website use boot oil, which I'm not sure is appropriate for the football leather
    [/quote]

I don't know, truthfully. I bought the conditioner but haven't used it yet. The exterior of the leather feels fine and relatively soft. I might use it on the inside, unlined parts, since it is a little rough there. I think I read someone doing that. I was approaching the shoe like a football that doesn't need much care. I don't think I will put any polish on them.

16. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Yeah, OP will be best off wearing black shoes only with black suits. Those McGregors are nice, but should be worn with more casual, light-colored suits or pants.

17. Sane

Sane Well-Known Member

Hello fellow AE lovers.

I'm due for my first pair of decent shoes for work, and while I was initially intending to spend on the lighter side, the current anniversary sale along with several other factors has convinced me to go with a pair Edmonds. However, my work is casual dress and I plan on mostly wearing fitted button ups / OCBDs and chinos.

For the shoe I was looking for something in a darker brown (maybe even black if it's a more casual style). Sadly many of AE's bluchers/derbies (delray, etc) aren't in the current sale. I am a big fan of the McAllister but I don't know if Oxfords, even if wingtip/full brogue, would be out of place in my [business] casual outfit. Ideally, as they are my first decent shoe, I would like something versatile enough to be dressed up to worsted wool pants and sport coat and possibly even dressed down to really nice, really dark denim. But most important is that they would feel right at home under chinos and button ups.

So please, with all your expertise, help me decide on a good first pair + color:
    http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonlin...____132809_subcategory?clickpath=intannivsale

Thank you very much, any and all help is greatly appreciated! [​IMG]

I was also planning on grabbing a matching belt (preferably under $100 if possible, even better if on sale), so if you have opinions/suggestions on that as well it's also very much appreciated.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  18. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I'd go with the University in Bob's Chili or the McAllister in Brown or Merlot.

2 people like this.
  19. Sane

Sane Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

You think they can handle being dressed down to the casual side of business casual well?

And Merlot is actually my favorite color of the McAllister, but I was worried it wouldn't be quite as versatile as Brown.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  20. bbouchard87

bbouchard87 Member

Wow I didn't know anybody even made black suits anymore...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.