1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I don't think balmorals look particularly good with cotton pants pr jeans unless they're clearly casual (suede or distressed leather like mctavish)

I'd go for the Lexington if I were you. They are the only AE shoes that can really go either dressy or casual. A bit boring, maybe, but safe and versatile.

Or if you're open to buying factory seconds, there are many more choices available from the Shoebank...

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. bbouchard87

bbouchard87 Member

Yes! The wingtips/full brogue go great with your biz casual environment, and with a pair of khakis or even dark jeans you'll be the best dressed guy in the room. I suggest that is never a bad thing! I've been known to rock a brogue with dark jeans out to the bars on Saturday night...

3. pudman43

pudman43 Senior member

Another vote here for McTavish, I wear mine with slim chinos, denim mainly -awesome look. I have the Natural Tan and the Cognac. J

4. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Larchmonts today:

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Yes. The "rules" (no balmorals with jeans) are less and less true these days. It takes the right pair of jeans to pull it off, but I regularly wear McAllisters with jeans.

Merlot is actually more versatile, in my opinion. It looks better with jeans than brown, and works beautifully with everything else.

I love (but do not own) the University in Bob's Chili, myself, and the intrigue of the U-wing brings down the formality level enough where you can definitely wear those with jeans or business casual, too.

I disagree - the Lexington is a nice shoe but it's boring. For someone's first pair of AE, go with something more interesting. Plus, as I said above, not everyone adheres to the "no balmorals with jeans" thing. I see your point re: truly casual shoes like the Neumok or McTavish, but I don't think the McAllister or University are too far down the formal scale for them to be worn with a nice pair of dark, cuffed jeans.

He wants something primarily for business casual with occasional jeans or casual wear, and for that I think a McAllister or University will do nicely.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2015
  6. Nolaman

Nolaman Well-Known Member

I think the Mcgregor in either bourbon or chili. I don't own either one but have been coveting them for a while.

7. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

Yes, great choice, but those are not on sale. He wanted a pair from the sale pricing.

8. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

I think wearing balmorals casually has a lot to do with the specific balmorals:

Smooth captoe, single sole? Pretty formal looking shoe

Full brogue wingtip, double oak sole? Can lean towards the casual.

This is certainly a blurred line area and I think reserving judgment for specific shoes. Also, color plays a role here, but thats a different discussion. On a separate point, I think I might rather wear Crocs than the Lexington...

(Ok, that thing I said about Crocs might have been a little excessive, but I clearly have an adverse opinion on the Lexington...)

9. bbouchard87

bbouchard87 Member

JS01...you and I agree yet again! I wear my walnut McAlisters (wearing them today with a navy suit as well) regularly with dark navy jeans and a well fitting button down...great look! While I wouldn't wear Park Avenues with jeans...blindly adhering to old rules such as no balmorals with jeans is super short sighted...

10. mry8s

mry8s Senior member

Cool spring day AE choice has relevance to recent discussion. Casual bals with faded denim.

[​IMG]

Not shown above, salmony pink spread collar shirt.

1 person likes this.
  11. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

While I am pontificating on things no one asked my opinion about, is anyone else slightly underwhelmed by the current sale? I just didnt see anything interesting. I will concede that this is probably due to the fact that I am well covered in most of the basics, but I was still hoping for something to make me say, "Wow!"

12. JSO1

JSO1 Senior member

I agree. I'm waiting patiently for a Rogue in Dark Chili, but am not sure whether Nordstrom will put it on sale during their July sale or whether I'll hold off until AE's October RDA sale.

That said, my wallet is already afraid for that sale, because I'm sure I'll find other things I like by then (plus, their new styles will be out by then, I think, and last I heard of or saw them, they were very tempting).

13. Brown Dynamite

Brown Dynamite Senior member

Anyone else notice that the Brooks Brothers models are showing up on the shoebank search? I just called and ordered a pair of Dark Chili Warwicks!

14. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Yea...had to resist the Shaker Heights

15. Sane

Sane Well-Known Member

Great read thank you all! I'm leaning towards the Merlot McAllister for sure. Honestly I may never wear them with jeans, I'm already planning another purchase for derby wingtip walnut shoes for more casual dress.
    I want to avoid seconds only because I don't love near an outlet and don't want to have to cover restock/shipping if needed.

Does anyone have a decent picture of the Merlot McAllister with chinos? I want to make sure it doesnt look weird to me before ordering.

16. rostov

rostov Senior member

17. Nolaman

Nolaman Well-Known Member

Agreed. Brooks Strand in walnut for $159 is a great deal.

18. Sane

Sane Well-Known Member

Would you say the u wing actually make them less formal than the w wing of McAllister? I would assume they would be the same or slightly more formal since they have a bit less lines and a slight resemblance to half brogue/Strands.

19. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

20. gotlighters

gotlighters Senior member

It's a bank and their policy is black suits (hideous, I know) along with a blue shirt and a tie. They don't have a policy stating I have to wear black shoes so I figured I would try some color so I don't look like I am going to court.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.