• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

LEgoiste

Reaction score
Hi, everyone.

I'm planning on getting a pair of walnut Clifton. If I'm a size 9.5 EEE on the 5 last, would I be the same on the 8 last?

Thanks in advance.

YoungSweet

Reaction score
Yeah I figured the Independence line was better quality but I'm not sure if I like the brown color (I think bourbon is the darkest I'd go). As for the shell being @ $299, unfortunately there aren't any models that in my size that are available so I'll have to continue to wait for shell. Otherwise, I think I'm gonna get the walnut rutledges for now.

The rutledges are very sexy but you essentially have 2 pair of cap toes in walnut. The Jeffersons in brown will be a better choice in the rotation in term of style and color.

With that said, get the rutledges if you can't resist, I know I wouldn't be either.
biggrin.gif

rc121

Reaction score

Hi, everyone.

I'm planning on getting a pair of walnut Clifton. If I'm a size 9.5 EEE on the 5 last, would I be the same on the 8 last?

Thanks in advance.

I wear an 8EEE in both the 5 and 8 last, don't notice enough difference that I would consider sizing up or down on either.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

To be fair, I think the 2nds sales are really meant to be an in-store type of sale. They are obviously doing phone orders so they can sell a lot more shoes, but I don't think the outlet stores are meant to be an online operation.

Totally agree with this. Most outlet stores won't do phone orders, so we're lucky in that respect.

wonsmithr8

Reaction score

The rutledges are very sexy but you essentially have 2 pair of cap toes in walnut.  The Jeffersons in brown will be a better choice in the rotation in term of style and color.  

With that said, get the rutledges if you can't  resist, I know I wouldn't be either.:D  

Haha oh I'll definitely get the rutledges and I'll probably get the walnut strands down the line giving me three walnut captoes! But I could also get the Jeffersons and take the $10 restocking fee if I don't like em

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score

How often do these second sales happen and also the 2 for 250 in a year?

I've been on this forum for about a year now and this is the first 2 for 250 sale they have had. However I believe over the summer or early fall they did 2 for 300. I think it will be on all the clearance stuff, BB and RL models... Not 100% sure though

csmitty

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whew, my wallet is def. going to take a hit. Need to drop by a store and try on some Strands though. I typically wear a 12D and have some PA's on now in that size. Snug in the middle which is fine and tox box width seems fine but might be a half size to long, which makes sense. So thinking an 11.5D might be a good bet. Anyone get shoe list in that size?

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been on this forum for about a year now and this is the first 2 for 250 sale they have had. However I believe over the summer or early fall they did 2 for 300. I think it will be on all the clearance stuff, BB and RL models... Not 100% sure though

There have been two other 2 for 250 sales this year. I bought my neumoras during one in August.

It's only for close outs tho.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm what's the difference between the Mcallister (bourbon @ $245.65) and the Jefferson (brown @ $229) besides the latter being a part of the independence collection?

Also beside the previous advice, if I'm a 6.5E on the five last, what would I be for the 3 last for the Rutledge? I'm seeing conflicting advice. Thanks!

Money Well Spent will probably know the details, but the Independence Line is 110% worth the extra $$. The lining and upper is much better quality and feel incredibly soft. There's a reason why most members are getting Independence lining on their MTO's. That said, at $299, may as well take advantage and go with shell...

Yeah I figured the Independence line was better quality but I'm not sure if I like the brown color (I think bourbon is the darkest I'd go). As for the shell being @ $299, unfortunately there aren't any models that in my size that are available so I'll have to continue to wait for shell. Otherwise, I think I'm gonna get the walnut rutledges for now.

Sorry, I saw the original post, but I was confused by it so I didn't attempt to answer it. The original question being what is the difference between the McAllister and the Jefferson other than the latter being part of the Independence collection, seemed to imply that it was understood what the Independence collection is. Since that essentially is the difference, I didn't know what else to say. If it isn't understood what the Independence collection brings to the table, then that's a different question.

• Higher quality leather uppers ("extra aged calfskin").
  • More finishing work on the soles, which more closely resembles the higher-end shoes.
  • Higher quality heel, being more akin to a dovetail.
  • Cushioned sock-liners
  • Soft lamb skin lining
  • Thicker outsole (not a double sole, but an extra iron in thickness)
  • Wheeled welt

Given the choice to get an Independence line shoe at less than a regular line one, I'd probably jump at it assuming you like the style in question. The only difference in the actual design between the McAllister and the Jefferson is that the Jefferson doesn't have any broguing along the top-line of the shoe. Rather, the broguing on the Jefferson stops at the top of the facings next to the eyelets.

Indyoshi68

Reaction score

Very nice and congrats! I wouldn't get too carried away with stripping them down yet because they are your first pair and you don't want to go too far with it. NewShoes1 hit it pretty solid I would just start with some Renovatour and the Mac method. Shell takes time and some work to really pop, at least AE shell does IME. But it has always been worth it. I use a small amount of Reno and microfiber cloth switching spots on the cloth as the cream comes up. When done wipe with a damp rag and brush for 10 minutes or so. Let them sit for a bit or better yet wear them to warm them up and wipe with damp cloth and brush again. And repeat but you can't do it all in one sitting it just doesn't work that way for some reason.
Nice score!  One of the first things I do upon receiving AE shell is to work to get all the excess polish off and get down to the beauty of the shell.  I tend to rotate between Renovateur, wiping down with a damp cloth and brushing to eventually get there.  Some try Renomat when there is excessive polish.  I've not used VSC before, so no clue how it would work in this process.

Thank you for the words of wisdom, guys. An initial wipe down got a LOT of the polish off; VSC, then damp cloth wipe down got even more. Brush, brush, brush... A good start!

Mcallister is shinier, but the Cambridge just looks better...

Last edited:

Shiny

Reaction score
Townley Thursday!

Probably need some mac luv.

YoungSweet

Reaction score
Is it recommended to go up a width on the brooks models due to the insole?

I wouldn't. I wear the same size for both AE and BB models. BBs feel a bit snug at first but loosen up after 10-15 wears.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Townley Thursday!

Probably need some mac luv.

Those look killer! There are some burgundy calf townly firsts at my century 21 for 115$. I've been tortured about buying them as my 1-last Long Branches are a tad too snug in the left toe box.

The burgundy leather on them has almost a metallic sheen to them that other current burgundy calf AEs don't seem to have. It's definitely not polished cobbler, but seems a little unusual.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads