1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

My Addisons are my most worn pair of AE's and they have Dainite soles...the soles have held up well and I am somewhere around just guessing 50 wears in perhaps more since May. Wear them sockless and have been happy...every so often recently though it feels like there is more pressure than normal on my toes, almost like they are getting hot from the transfer of friction from the sole to my foot...As if there was cork there and it scattered to some other spots..I do not even know if they use cork when using dainite..I guess they do.

My overall guess is that the dainite is finally breaking in and becoming more flexible as it is without a doubt less flexible that a standard leather sole. Thus putting pressure where it was not prior. I am sure it will pass.

For overall comfort though nothing has yet to come close to the Butyl sole on my 3 pairs Neumoks.

2. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

I find dainite to take much longer to break in than leather soles. 50 wears is a lot for break in!
    and yes, butyl soles are nice! although they wear faster than JR soles, but no worse than standard leather

3. Beane

Beane Senior member

E belts are a really nice product as well

4. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I don't mind the long break in. I'm pretty sure I wore out the original soles on the toe of these in less than 75 wears. They were originally double butyl soles I belive.

I've learned my lesson that I need to get metal the taps for all my shoes now.

5. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

Wow, were you exceptionally hard on them with frequent wear? The double leather sole seems pretty darn solid on mine. It would take some work to get to the point where they needed a re-sole.

Either way, nice to see them getting some wear! One of my favorite AE (RL) shoes ever.

6. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

The bottoms were fine but I strike the heel and toes of my shoes very hard I guess. I actually had to replace the heels once as the rubber dovetail piece was wearing down to the sole. The toe then got close to the welt.

I wore them as beaters first since I got them as seconds for $129, but then they became one of my favorites. I spent more in the dainite conversion than I paid for the shoes!

7. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

Do you guys know if the Macneil and the Sanford fit the same? I believe they are on the same last but as we know not all shoes on the same last fit the same.

thanks.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  8. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Funny how that works as my Addisons were bought as as a no warranty purchase do to prior owner slapping tongue pads in..the price was ridiculous low on the bay and they easily are my most worn shoe

9. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

1 person likes this.
  10. epc2

epc2 Senior member

Hi Guys,

I have no exp. with Dainite soles and I keep hearing commnets about them being hard to break in etc., Comfort is priority for me , I have my eye on a casual makeup that comes with Dainite so will like to hear your opinons on comfort,grip etc.

TIA.

11. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

It's not a soft, squishy rubber comfort doke, that's for sure.

It wears slightly harder than JR leather, in my experience. Can feel slightly like walking on cleats until you've worn it down some.

Having said that, if you want a thin dress sole profile and need something that holds up to pavement and wet conditions better than leather (though it's not a particularly grippy rain or snow sole), then Dainite is cool. I have three pairs with them.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2014
  12. epc2

epc2 Senior member

Thanks for the info , sounds like it's less comfortable than leather,I thought it was similar to a mini lug or crepe, being rubber but looks like that's not the case.

13. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

It's a little harder than the other mentioned soles. Especially crepe.

14. peppercorn78

No, it's much harder than Vibram rubber. Not a comfort sole. More like a leather sole replacement.

15. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

1/2 size down for the macneil for me.

16. slimjohnil6

slimjohnil6 Active Member

Bummed right now -- my AE Shell Leeds were waiting for me when I arrived home. When I laced them to be just 'snug' - the two ends were almost touching. I think I must have a low instep. I have had to use tongue pads on my closed laced shoes (Strands, Cambridges), but was hoping that these bluchers would have enough of a gap to be OK. If the two laced sides are almost touching new, I can only imagine that they'll stretch a bit, rendering the shoe too wide for me. Guess the 5 last fits me better than 1.

17. gatszu

gatszu Senior member

^how's the fit everywhere? Go narrower?

18. slimjohnil6

slimjohnil6 Active Member

The fit everywhere else is great. Just the laced area is almost closed when laced up. The area at the forefoot is fine though.

19. peppercorn78

They say shell really doesn't stretch. My own experience is that it really molds to your foot well. Wear them around the house on the carpet for a few times before making your final decision.

20. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I have a pair of leeds that I put the AE ortho insert in and they feel great. Took a loose shoe and makes it fit great. That may help by raising your foot a bit.

Maybe even a mid thickness sock will help. My wife thinks I am even more of a moron now that I have three different thickness of socks.

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.