• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkySaw

Reaction score
I would go with something in burgundy or chill, and either a chunky shoe with some broguing or a blucher. So, I would suggest a longwing like the Macneil, or a blucher like the Walton (I like the split-toe for both dress and casual) in chill.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Folks I need some help... I've got a pair of burgundy AE Chesters. They are naturally high gloss, soft leather and I get corrected grain vibes from the shoe. Did AE make corrected grain Chesters or am I wrong with my vibes?

Don't know about Chesters but AE use to make a lot of their popular models in "polished cobbler," i.e. corrected grain. I have a pair of late 90's burgundy McAlisters in CG I use as a rain shoe on days have to wear a suit and don't want to subject my shell Cambridges (the same color) to the elements.

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burgundy MacNeil. Boom.

Some don't like bluchers with suits, ....

Some people don't like Mom, baseball, and apple pie. They are to be shunned.
biggrin.gif

If burgundy shell gunboats are wrong with suits, I don't want to be right.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Folks I need some help... I've got a pair of burgundy AE Chesters. They are naturally high gloss, soft leather and I get corrected grain vibes from the shoe. Did AE make corrected grain Chesters or am I wrong with my vibes?
Email Allen Edmonds with the four-digit code inside the shoe and ask away! They're friendly and helpful.

Storm33

Reaction score

Wearing my brown shell Jefersons today with the January Soul Sock, "snowed in".

Looking good!

My replacement pair of brown shell Jeffersons just showed up yesterday. I ordered in early September, and the first pair that arrived in November was defective. I sent them back, and they had to make two more pairs to get it right (so there should be a couple of pairs of seconds out there in 9 3E).

I was getting irritated about the wait time, but after seeing them I think they were worth the four-month wait. :) I'll have to keep them at the office for break in until the weather improves.

In other news, my Bayfields have been taking on this crazy winter like a champ! I treated them to a good rubdown with neatsfoot oil, and hit my chocolate Daltons with some Saphir Renovateur at the same time. The weather has been so crappy here that I've only worn my burgundy shell Daltons once this season - kind of bummed about that.

Last edited:

DNSamurai

Reaction score
Looking good!

My replacement pair of brown shell Jeffersons just showed up yesterday. I ordered in early September, and the first pair that arrived in November was defective. I sent them back, and they had to make two more pairs to get it right (so there should be a couple of pairs of seconds out there in 9 3E).

I was getting irritated about the wait time, but after seeing them I think they were worth the four-month wait.
smile.gif
I'll have to keep them at the office for break in until the weather improves.

Then those must be one of your pair which showed up on the ends list sent to me (9EEE). What was wrong with them?

WICaniac

Reaction score

Ah, gotcha.

Whoever is selling them seems to be trying to make $150 profit on them.....those should have been $299 since they are seconds.

$299 is the sale price for shell seconds. The usual price for shell seconds is $450 (or thereabouts).

Storm33

Reaction score

Then those must be one of your pair which showed up on the ends list sent to me (9EEE). What was wrong with them?

I'm not sure about the second defective pair. They failed inspection by customer service and weren't shipped to me, so I never saw them. The pair I originally received in November had a divot in the upper (see bottom shoe in the photo).

bespoken pa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the primary difference between the sanford and the lexington a pair of eyelets? Also if anyone has a side by side pic of tan vs snuff suede it would be much appreciated.

DNSamurai

Reaction score

I'm not sure about the second defective pair. They failed inspection by customer service and weren't shipped to me, so I never saw them. The pair I originally received in November had a divot in the upper (see bottom shoe in the photo).

Interesting.

Looks like I'll be choosing between the brown shell Jeffersons and burgundy shell Macneils.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Storm33

Reaction score

Interesting.

Looks like I'll be choosing between the brown shell Jeffersons and burgundy shell Macneils.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's a tough choice! My shell burgundy MacNeils see a lot of action in good weather...they are among my favorites, in fact. Burgundy is such a versatile color that I don't expect to be wearing my Jeffersons as often.

That being said, it wasn't hard for me to justify having both. If you can talk yourself into both pairs you won't regret it.

WICaniac

Reaction score

Hi guys, I need some help with my next pair of shoes. I need something versatile to wear with navy and gray suits maybe six times a year, that will still go well with khaki and denim the rest of the time. My current thought is that the Kenilworth would fit the bill, but what color? I am inherently not very stylish and welcome all opinions.

I work in manufacturing and wear steel toes five days a week and do not get to wear my nice shoes very often, so I'd like to get something formal that will dress down as deftly as possible. My other shoes are black McTavish and dark brown Long Branch.

Thanks,
Tom

Personally, I'd go with MacNeils in brown shell. As recent posts indicate, some frown on bluchers with a suit--but I'd venture that most on this forum would concede that these shoes would look great in a suit. This color and style would also work with jeans and khakis.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree a LWB works. If you want something less clunky than a Macneil, you can try to snag a Sanderson second (made by AE for RL) in brown or go for the Williams from the independence line. It's on a sleeker last (2 last vs 7 for the Macneil) and think it still goes fine with jeans.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree a LWB works. If you want something less clunky than a Macneil, you can try to snag a Sanderson second (made by AE for RL) in brown or go for the Williams from the independence line. It's on a sleeker last (2 last vs 7 for the Macneil) and think it still goes fine with jeans.

The larchmont will also work, too. Single sole, chiseled last...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads