1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

You've got my attention. I'm very interested.

2. Stamper1924

Stamper1924 Active Member

Thanks for the suggestion! Could you elaborate more on the method you mentioned?

I figured the Macneils had a darker shade of burgundy just by compareing the Leeds and Macneils at the AE websited.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  3. AndyC

AndyC Senior member

+1

4. lemmy127

lemmy127 Senior member

I've done two things. Water + a non-abrasive cotton or flannel cloth and Saphir Renovateur + aforementioned cloth. Both of these, more so the latter option, will strip away the polish on top of the shell. The result should be a lighter color and the shell's shine should be more glossy.

5. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

6. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

A couple more pics of my Leeds since I cleaned them up last night and wearing them today. Going to love to see how these age, I will be using them as my go to all fall/winter when I need a casual shoe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

8. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

9. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

10. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

That is the regular brown CXL Bayfield, still great looking though.

11. phsiao08

phsiao08 Senior member

Hey AE Community - I have a question about the Carlyle vs Park Ave regarding sizing...I'm usually a "B" on the Park Ave last, would that size work on the Carlyle or should I bump up to a "D"?

12. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Walnut wingtip Wednesday
    [​IMG]

13. Stamper1924

Stamper1924 Active Member

Thanks lemmy127! I'll try the Saphir Renovateur method.

14. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Thank you for the clarification Ron! I think the whole turpentine thing started when Kirby posted on his website Hanger Project that it causes the pores of shell to expand and damages it. Most likely he was told that when he visited the Saphir facilities. But even on the Saphir site not long ago they posted to get a high shine on your shell shoes or boots it is OK to use Saphir wax on the toes and heel counters because it contains so little turpentine it will not cause any issues. Kirby does have good taste, IIRC he owns at least 3 pairs of your boots [​IMG] At one time you were the only person that had Reno available for sale in the US and you have more experience with it in real life than any other person I know. And I greatly respect your opinion and work.

I sent my Wolverine 744's to AE so they could try to match the Horween #449 color for another pair of Dundees. Paul's assistance showed them to everyone from the production manager to the person that pulled the stock shell to make the 744's. She called me to say that everyone who saw the boots wanted to know how I got them so shinny. They commented to her they had never seen shell shine like that. I explained about Reno and water brushing. AE still says use their shell cream, so don't think they are going to change their approach to shell care anytime soon.

15. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Yes they are and do look great. I really like the Bayfield
    CXL, black calf, cappuccino shell

[​IMG]

Better view of the Cappuccino shell with indoor lighting so it looks more like brown shell. Well worn, great boot.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. hp5273

hp5273 Active Member

OK! Suede Ralph Lauren Sandersons by AE

[​IMG]

17. rostov

rostov Senior member

A related PSA.. there is a pair of Bayfields in Cappuccino shell on eBay in 11e apparently "worn 3 times" (ping @peppercorn78 )

I thought of snagging them, but I'm going to have to pass. My Daltons in 11e are wearable, but I've hit my limit for "barely fitting" shell. Next pair will have to be wider ;-)

18. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Meh, thanks but I'll pass. All set with brown boots.

How are those Dalton's treating you?

19. rostov

rostov Senior member

Visually, they're beautiful. Fit-wise, they seem to be fine as long as I wear thin socks and I'm careful putting them on. The upper, being unlined, tends to have leather which folds over and causes some pain on my wider foot if I'm not careful.

Also, they seemed a bit dry when they arrived. I've used a damp cloth and some VSG to cleanup and condition. They feel softer and slightly oilier now, but I feel they should have more of a shine (but as casual shoes, I'm okay having no shine...)

20. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Quote:Thats a good looking flat welt ;) Great boots.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.