1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Ha! I'm sorry, it was my own misunderstanding. I read it as if you had received some message from Allison about the order that I didn't get. Like maybe there was some drama or problem with the order.

That's all.

2. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Hopefully not too off-topic...

Thanks for chiming in. Any idea why this is such a hotly debated topic? Has no one asked Saphir? It seems like both sides of the argument are positive the other side is wrong, though I'm not sure which side has presented proof. If I may, what makes you so sure? Is it true for both the Médaille D'Or (MDO) and Beauté Du Cuir (BDC) Renovateur? Actually, what's the difference, anyway?

That aside, do you agree Venetian Shoe Cream has turpentine in it? Does Saphir MDO Cordovan Cream?

3. peppercorn78

Hmm. I tried on a 10.5 3e Williams in Riverhead and it seemed ok, maybe just a tad narrow. Maybe I'll try again just to double check.

4. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

I'm an 8.5D in Strand (5-65) and 9D in Dalton (1-511), and I settled on an 8.5E in the Eagle County. 8.5D may've worked, not sure about 9D, and 9E was definitely too large.

5. SkySaw

SkySaw Well-Known Member

I had the same reaction. I've been waiting for a Macneil5 in burgundy with dainite soles to show up on shoe bank, but I might just go for the Bob's Chili MacGregor during the RDA sale.

6. rostov

rostov Senior member

Note this is based on pinching problems I have on a 222 lasted boot I already own. It's only an issue with the thicker socks I wear in winter.

7. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Damn. The black Shaker Heights look killer, even with the skewed tweed pattern. :wow:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  8. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Stand by, I think I took a picture comparing the two, but not in the perfect lighting. Not at home, but let me see if I can get it out of my phones library.

9. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

I for one will not get the MacGregor in bobs chili. Will get the walnut burnished. But that's only because I plan on getting the Bleecker street in bobs chili. Lovely color.

10. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

Crappy light, Ravello, Ravello, Walnut Shell, Whiskey

[​IMG]

Alden Whiskey Shell - Colors vary with time made and age.

[​IMG]

Crockett and Jones Whiskey (With Alden Chukka)

[​IMG]

AE Walnut Shell (New)

[​IMG]

AE Walnut Shell (Aged)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

3 people like this.
  11. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

[​IMG]

12. seahawks506

seahawks506 Member

Bought a pair of odenwalds, excited to be part of the allen edmonds family! What kind of shoe care would you recommend for these boots? Waterproofing? Shoe trees? Leather lotion? etc.

These are my first higher end pair of leather footwear, so I want to protect them as best I can. Ideally I would not spend more than $30 on this. There are a ton of products that do different things and I can't figure out which ones I actually need and which are auxiliary.

I don't plan on wearing these more than twice a week but will be outside a fair amount, and as I am in Chicago will be dealing with some snow, rain, salt, and ice. I'm more concerned about protecting the leather and don't care much for keeping them shiny.

Thanks! :D

13. Stamper1924

Stamper1924 Active Member

I just received my Burgundy Cordovan Macneils and was wondering for those of you that have these, is your shade of Burgundy Macneils really dark? The ones I received look almost black.

I included a comparison shot with my Burgundy Cordovan Leeds which seems a shade lighter.

What are your thoughts?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. peppercorn78

^^^ wow, those really do look black. Are you sure they're not black?

15. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Thanks Burzan! I recommend getting one if ever they come up with a suede version.i think they're a great alternative to penny loafers and bluchers for casual get ups.

Thanks guys! Not everything's a homerun though :) but would be happy to see if AE uses some of our MTO designs.

16. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Had an engagement shoot this past weekend. Got a good shot of the Dundee's. Though a bit dusty.
    [​IMG]

2 people like this.
  17. hohneokc

hohneokc Senior member

Congratulations on your new Oldenwalds! Per the AE website, they recommend Allen Edmonds Leather Lotion. I don't know if you got the football grain, leather, or chromexcel, but either way the Leather Lotion will work well. I wouldn't worry about waterproofing unless you plan to get them very wet quite often. And definitely get shoe trees. They will greatly extend the life of your shoes. I was taught if your feet aren't in them, shoes trees should be in them. Shoe trees about $20 (can be found much cheaper on sale some places) and AE Leather Lotion about $9 - so in your budget.

Keep them cleaned off with a damp cloth if you walk in the slush, snow, etc. And put some AE Leather Lotion on them periodically and you should be good to go.

Check the AE site for care tips. Go to you boot and click the "care" tab for more information.

Chris

1 person likes this.
  18. watchidiot

watchidiot Senior member

Anybody up for shell bayfields? 1st quality.

19. FatTuesday

FatTuesday Senior member

I think those are gorgeous! My burgundy Macneils looked very similar. It's mostly polish. I really like the dark appearance. If you choose to, you can use the water and brushing method to get down to the shell. Good luck!

20. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Yes please!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.