1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FreedBird

FreedBird Senior member

:worship: You win!!!

2. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

Shell Leeds

[​IMG]

3. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Wow great pickup and job with the PA's!! Didn't you say last week that you were not very knowledgeable in shell care then posted a picture of your shell Strands that would glow in the dark after you were done with them?! I'd say you have it down better than most with both shell and calf, fantastic job.

4. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

These look fantastic. Did you find your exact size or did you need to concede? I picked up a pair of dark brown Rutledge (size 11E) for $150 during the recent sale but they sent me 11EEE. Oddly they fit better than I expected but they still seem too wide. I'm going to hit a local store today to see if I can try on a 3 last shoe in 11E to determine if I should keep them or send them back. According to the Shoebank site there is an 11E available. If it's the 11EEE's or nothing I may well keep them as they fit fairly well.

5. ScottyBoy920

ScottyBoy920 Senior member

[​IMG]

Snuff suede neumoks

6. CMT1

CMT1 Senior member

Thanks guys! I'm really happy with this one so far, I definitely lucked out but I'd be thrilled to find some shell options at those insane prices. I mean ...Damn.

Thanks Cold Iron! I've read and re-read every online resource I could find on proper shoe care, and this forum alone has been an invaluable help. I won't lie, freaked out when the nail polish remover left a slight rub/burn/abrasion mark on the leather, but knew from research that this could happen and from most reports the ensuing polishing would fill in and cover it up, which it has.

Right now that toe looks completely blemish-free, and I will do my best to keep it that way. :)

[​IMG]

Thanks! I definitely conceded. I am an 11.5 D in the 5 last and these are 11.5 B. What's weird is that they fit great, at least from walking a bit around the house, but the true test will come when I head out and about for the night. I'm actually surprised at how comfortable they feel, as I've been trying not to admit that they feel more comfortable than my other, newer shoes, but I suspect it's because they are already nicely broken in. While the soles are still in decent shape, these shoes have definitely been worn.

Dressed down Cambridge.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Have a great weekend guys!

1 person likes this.
  7. CrimmyS

CrimmyS Well-Known Member

I have mold all over the bottom of my sole. What should I do?

What happened is I wore them and it rained. They had a 2 day rest at the hotel and when it was time to go home I put them in a bag and packed them. It was a 20 hour train ride and when I got hom I crashed for a bit. When I took them out that evening I saw mold all over the bottom of them. Outside not inside.

I used a tooth brush and scrubbed it with AE cleaner conditioner. I figured it wouldn't help much if at all, but gave it a try anyway. It's been 2 days and I see the mold starting to come back.

Could I just dilute some bleach and scrub the soles without worrying about much/any damage?

8. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

9. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

Brown CXL Bayfields.

10. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Wipe down with vinegar solution?

11. Brown Dynamite

Brown Dynamite Senior member

^ That was my initial thought. Probably a safer place to start.

12. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Need some advice AE gurus. When I measure my foot using the metal contraption I get an 11.5 D width. My PA's are 11.5 D are are a little tight for my left foot and probably half a size too big. Some days are better than others with the tightness so I don't wear them when I run in the morning and they are fine. I have been wanting a pair of suede shoes and Macy's has the suede Strand on sale plus a discount so you can get firsts for the 160's. I ordered an 11 and they only have D width so if they completely don't work I can return them. Do the leather lined suede shoes from AE stretch at all? My gut says not but I went with the purchase anyway. 6pm has some E width but their price is still $212. May order those and see.

The AE store should be opening in Nashville soon so I can try everything out before I buy them. Thanks in advance for the help.

13. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Don't sacrifice a good fit to save a few bucks. The shoes won't get worn, or you'll end up selling them. Trust me. It's a bigger waste of money in the long run.

14. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

MTO Jefferson's in Cappuccino Shell Cordovan (from Wednesday).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-Mike

Last edited: Aug 8, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  15. jbarwick

jbarwick Senior member

Yea I realize that now that my PA's aren't the most satisfying but I still wear them. I am thinking the 5 last may not be for me though.

16. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Fantastic job.

As for finally sleeping at night, keep following this thread and you'll start losing sleep again soon enough . . .

[​IMG]

17. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

These look great! I love the more casual feel now. These would get a ton for use in my rotation

18. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

First negative experience with Allen Edmonds: Ordered a pair of seconds during the recent 2 for $299 sale. Despite five telephone calls with the Shoebank I ended up (1) being overcharged by about 40%, (2) received the wrong size shoe, (3) received the wrong size shoe trees, and (4) was told by customer service that they don't deal with issues related to seconds. Went into a store today and received fantastic service but they couldn't solve the issue due to no more inventory. I understand it's not their fault and appreciate their help as always. It would have been nice, however, if (1) these errors weren't made in the first place, and (2) customer service actually offered to help when I contacted them six days ago. I will still purchase from this company but am less inclined to take advantage of seconds sales. I imagine they don't make much money from those sales anyway so I suppose it doesn't even matter that much.

19. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

I am sized at an 11.5D/E (in-between widths) on the Brannock. My perfect AE fit is an 11E on all lasts, including the #5. I have the Strand in walnut, navy suede, and the brogue suede (brown) with the Danite sole. I can tell you that (1) my walnut Strands fit very well, (2) my navy Suede strands run a little big and fit more like a McTavish, and (3) my brown suede Strands fit rather snugly and I'd likely be better off with an 11EE. They are also my least favorite AE shoes. In my suede collection I far prefer my Neumoks. I might be willing to part with my suede Strands if you could do $150 understanding they are used seconds. I've worn them less then ten times over the past year and never in rain or snow.

20. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Part of the fit on the strands is going to be your arch. I am a 13E on the metal contraption and my suede strands are 12eee it is actually the shoe that made me realize how wrong fitting my other 65 lasted bal's were - so to try Scotty's 11E might be a good way to go

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.