• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Combine the two and get a burgundy Kenilworth!

Sorry, can't resist a chance to show off the new babies.
And I don't blame you. Absolutely gorgeous!

Ok, guys, I've done my due diligence through the search function, but....

WHERE IN THE HECK DO I FIND THE "MAC METHOD" of both break-in and polishing????

I drank the Kool-Aid and am enjoying some new AE and Alden shoes and boots (posts coming). I'd like to avoid messing them up terribly, so some guidance would be helpful. I have the trees, polishes/conditioner, etc., and 'think' I know kinda what I'm doing, but since y'all think so highly of Mac's methods (well founded I'm sure) I'd like to check them out.

Thanks for the help!
biggrin.gif

Direct link to his site and instructions for both:

http://mcarthurstreasures.blogspot.com/2013/02/break-in-and-shell-cordovan-care.html

DennisM

Reaction score
Cold Iron, thanks. That's exactly what I'm looking for :).

Almost everything I've bought is shell cordovan, so this info is priceless.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
There was a recent post on this site against the mac method which argued that he doesn't keep shoes for very long and that the bright shine comes at the cost of longer term durability.

I don't have an opinion on the matter, but thought I'd pose a counterpoint.

chris45

Reaction score
@Cold Iron you are a great guy for even thinking about the idea of buying those shoes for that guy! What a great friend!

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

There was a recent post on this site against the mac method which argued that he doesn't keep shoes for very long and that the bright shine comes at the cost of longer term durability.

I don't have an opinion on the matter, but thought I'd pose a counterpoint.

Mac keeps shoes/boots for a long time - 10, 20, 30 years ........

halfnhalfnhalf

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Combine the two and get a burgundy Kenilworth!

Sorry, can't resist a chance to show off the new babies.

Not sure if I gave you props when you originally posted those pics, so let me do so now . . . total awesomeness.

Would a black cap toe(fifth ave) be a shoe worth considering at this point? My suits are grey or blue with the one black which I wear a cheap black cap toe if I need to wear that suit.

I know that traditionally the black captoe was the one dress shoe that every man had to have. To be honest, though, I really don't wear mine that much - formal occasions and funerals, mostly. On the other hand, I wear burgundy/merlot all the time - goes with almost everything and gives me a distinctive splash of color that I really like. I have merlot PAs but if I had to do it again I would probably have gotten the FAs instead.

DNSamurai

Reaction score
Does anyone know which loafer model best accommodates a high instep? I took a chance and ordered the suede Patriots when they dropped to $245. They arrived a couple days ago, and though absolutely STUNNING, it took about 5 minutes of shoe horning and brute strength to get them on my feet. Once on they felt ok, but my high instep made it super tough to get my feet in.

Should I be looking at something like the Randolph instead?

Thanks!

Count de Monet

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does anyone know which loafer model best accommodates a high instep? I took a chance and ordered the suede Patriots when they dropped to $245. They arrived a couple days ago, and though absolutely STUNNING, it took about 5 minutes of shoe horning and brute strength to get them on my feet. Once on they felt ok, but my high instep made it super tough to get my feet in. 

Should I be looking at something like the Randolph instead?

Thanks! 

I also have a high instep and I haven't been able to find ANY AE loafer that works for me. I was in the Plano store and tried on every loafer in my size (10.5E) with no luck. I also tried a Patriot in 11D but that didn't work either.

I'm now checking other brands but wish I didn't have to.

adamdurbin

Reaction score

OPINIONS NEEDED, please. Dalton Dress Boot versus Fifth Street Dress Boot?? [COLOR=000000]FIFTH STREET DRESS BOOT[/COLOR] DALTON DRESS BOOT
I have the dalton in 3 colors (walnut, dark brown and grey) and just bought the dark brown fifth street in the seconds sale. In contrast to popular logic, the fifth street will be my "the snow is plowed" winter boot, while I would never dare with my calf Dalton's. So... I'll wear the fifth street as a kicking around boot, and the Dalton's once it's nice enough outside again.

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

OPINIONS NEEDED, please.

Dalton Dress Boot versus Fifth Street Dress Boot??

C'mon, David, you've been here long enough to know the proper response is "well, for what?"

Morning dress?
Tweed and corduroy?
To go with your navy suit and power tie to close a billion-dollar deal?
To romp around the middle of nowhere with Cold Iron and some shotguns?

BOTH BOSS
Or this. :slayer:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads