• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorJ

Reaction score
Brown Kenilworth would seem to be nice in the mix. Can dress up or down.

specialk0449

Reaction score
Many thanks Cold Iron for posting the detailed description about the proper care of shell cordovan. I found it to be very informative. I have admired the look of your shoes for some time.

Last edited:

Karotona

Reaction score
Hey Guys.I am looking to buy my first pair of AEs. I work in a very casual office (I wear mostly dark jeans and grey wool trousers). I was just about to buy a black pair of Delrays from my local store (they are having a 20% off sale on all AE styles in January) when I saw that the AE website is having a sale on Waltons and Lasalles. Waltons are $239 and Lasalles are $199 right now. Are these good prices? 

I haven't been watching AE prices long enough to know if these are good deals, or if I should wait it out for a better sale. Thanks for any advice.

Last edited:

PK35216

Reaction score
Just picked up some Mora 2.0's in dark brown at my outlet. I am going to hold tight until I receive a pair of Brooks Bros. Peal & Co. (Alfred Sargent made?) brown double monks for comparison later next week.

Any thoughts on the relative merits of each shoe are welcome. Obviously, the BB shoes will be about twice as expensive (despite getting both pairs on sale).

I am especially curious if anyone with some experience in the Mora 2.0 can say whether they have experienced signifcant creasing above the cap. I have seen some on line that have such creasing, and I hate creasing above the cap on any style (I try not to be too fussy about other creasing).

Thoughts appreciated.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just picked up some Mora 2.0's in dark brown at my outlet. I am going to hold tight until I receive a pair of Brooks Bros. Peal & Co. (Alfred Sargent made?) brown double monks for comparison later next week.

Any thoughts on the relative merits of each shoe are welcome. Obviously, the BB shoes will be about twice as expensive (despite getting both pairs on sale).

I am especially curious if anyone with some experience in the Mora 2.0 can say whether they have experienced signifcant creasing above the cap.  I have seen some on line that have such creasing, and I hate creasing above the cap on any style (I try not to be too fussy about other creasing).

Thoughts appreciated.

I own shoes from both AS and AE, and there is no comparison. The AS look and feel like shoes that are twice as expensive. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with AE's; the AS are just the next tier up in quality and price, and it shows.

Are you sure the Peals you ordered are made by AS? Some are made by C&J, which are also in that upper tier. Some are made by Loake, which are not impressive at all, and might even be slightly below AE. But I think if your shoes are in the $600+ retail range, they are AS or C&J.

I'll be interested to hear your opinions once you have both shoes in your hands to compare.

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
^^^ I too own both AE and Peal (though mine are CJ and not AS) and I will summarize my experience this way: I will never again buy another pair of AE shoes (poor fit, materials and construction), and inversely I actively seek out BB Peal CJ and AS made shoes due to their inherent quality, fit and materials. No disrespect to the AE lovers in this thread.

chinngiskhaan

Reaction score
^^^ I too own both AE and Peal (though mine are CJ and not AS) and I will summarize my experience this way: I will never again buy another pair of AE shoes (poor fit, materials and construction), and inversely I actively seek out BB Peal CJ and AS made shoes due to their inherent quality, fit and materials. No disrespect to the AE lovers in this thread.
The argument for buying AE shoes is simply this: You save money (due to the shoes lasting several years longer) and get a far better look and feel when compared to buying non goodyear welted shoes.

I wouldn't be able to say from experience how AE shoes compare to the likes of AS or CJ, but I would imagine it going something like this: AS and CJ and the like have a better looking, better quality shoe but I don't necessarily think buying those shoes instead of AE's will save you money in the long run. So, if money is not a concern, by all means buy the higher end brands. They no doubt are nicer looking, but if money IS a concern, AE is a good choice in my opinion. AE offers good (not top of the line) quality, and a reasonable price, especially when sales come around.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
At the pricepoint they're in, AE competes with brands like Cole Haan...That choice is a no brainer.

AE doesn't advertise itself as a luxury shoemaker. They are after the average guy that might check them out after getting tired of having to buy a new pair of dress shoes every year/other year because they fall apart.

A pair of brown and black AE's will work fine for a business wardrobe for atleast 5 years if taken care of and resoled etc. At that pricepoint you might have one pair of shoes from CJ/AS and that's potentially after a resole for each shoe.

Last edited:

Mark_Y

Reaction score

At the pricepoint they're in, AE competes with brands like Cole Haan...That choice is a no brainer.

IMO, Allen Edmonds doesn't compete with Cole Haan. They blow them out of the water. I've owned both and AE is by far a superior shoe.

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
The argument for buying AE shoes is simply this: You save money (due to the shoes lasting several years longer) and get a far better look and feel when compared to buying non goodyear welted shoes.

I wouldn't be able to say from experience how AE shoes compare to the likes of AS or CJ, but I would imagine it going something like this: AS and CJ and the like have a better looking, better quality shoe but I don't necessarily think buying those shoes instead of AE's will save you money in the long run. So, if money is not a concern, by all means buy the higher end brands. They no doubt are nicer looking, but if money IS a concern, AE is a good choice in my opinion. AE offers good (not top of the line) quality, and a reasonable price, especially when sales come around.

My experience was very different. I bought a pair of Randolph's in September, from the Madison Ave store. I found them stiff, nearly impossible to break in, with inferior leather. 'd have accepted all of that if they'd have lived up to the durability I'd hoped for in a US made goodyear welted shoe. Alas, after no more than 20 wearings a hole has appeared in the sole, and chunks are missing from the leather. My BB branded CJ's didn't need a new sole for more than 5 years, and to this day the leather polished up easily and there are no discernible blemishes beyond what you'd expect. Money is a great concern to me, so at full retail, I find this level of durability abhorrent and a deal breaker.

gringodaddy

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

AE doesn't advertise itself as a luxury shoemaker. They are after the average guy that might check them out after getting tired of having to buy a new pair of dress shoes every year/other year because they fall apart.

A pair of brown and black AE's will work fine for a business wardrobe for atleast 5 years if taken care of and resoled etc. At that pricepoint you might have one pair of shoes from CJ/AS and that's potentially after a resole for each shoe.

I doubt most in this thread would compare Allen Edmonds to Cole Haan. Perhaps I'm wrong. Granted, I've had Cole Haan shoes that lasted far longer before repair was needed than my only pair of AE's. Never again, for over $300 a pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads