1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

When AE does not have what I want, I look to Carmina, C&J and Meermin. Meermin may or may not be a step up from AE, but Carmina and C&J most definitely are.

2. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Independence Line is a step up from Meermin's CM line but I can't speak on the LM line.

Carmina is definitely higher quality than AE, but I usually pay $200ish for first-quality ($300 for independence line) whereas I pay $450 and up for Carmina.

I will still support AE but not likely though the MTO program.

I'm sure Paul has something down the pipeline to keep his fans happy.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  3. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

You raise a good point to differentiate Meermin. I believe the general consensus is that the Meermin classic line is below AE in quality while the Linea Maestro line is a step up (if you ignore quality control issues that continue to plague Meermin)

Are you in the U.S? If so, my Carmina purchases have usually ranged between $375 and $425 shipped.

4. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

Took the day off for moving and had some time to kill so gave some attention to the Walnut Shell Dalton's. By far the favorite of the few shells I have.

[​IMG]

5. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Afternoon gents. I don't usually contribute her much as Alden is my shoe/boot of choice. I wore my Walnut shell Daltons today and thought I would post. csmitty, yours look great!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. PiCcolocV

PiCcolocV Senior member

wow, shell walnut looks waaaaay different than calf.

7. polojock615

polojock615 Senior member

I have been getting my dress shoes solely form Allen Edmonds for the past three years or so. I have never once had a reason to look back, and this still doesn't give me a reason to look to change. Obviously, since I have close to 60 pairs now I can choose to be very picky about what I buy from them. That coupled with a new baby ($$$) means I will not be making a lot of shoe purchases in the near future.

I can say that I was very pleased with the MTO program while it was up and running. It was a good way to reward loyal customers. However, all good things must come to an end. Many of us have business degrees and know that the cost for doing one-offs is much higher than going runs of the same shoe. That, coupled with rising leather prices and our general pickiness means that on some of these, I'm sure they were actually losing money. It is not uncommon for businesses to adjust processes or programs to better fit their needs. I suspect that they were actually losing some decent money over this program. It was good while it lasted, but it's gone.

While it would have been nice for Paul to make an announcement, let's keep something in mind - he's the CEO of a multi-million dollar organization. I'm sure if he thought it would have caused this much of a hubbub, he would have done it differently.

I, for one, will continue with Allen Edmonds.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

You are going to love them

Always looking good, my friend.

9. ReppTiePrepster

Thanks BK!

10. BagleyBrown

BagleyBrown Senior member

I think lighter color shell is not soon to return to AE choices. Those walnut shell Daltons are beautiful, just a fortunate few have them.

Brown Fifth Street seconds arrived today from recent sale...very happy with these. They fit snug, everywhere. Similar fit as a pair of To Boot New York that I have loved.

[​IMG]

I trust AE that there's a defect worthy of this sale, but I don't see one. :)

11. BolognaFingers

BolognaFingers Senior member

Look great! Mine are seconds too. The leather is a bit wrinkled. Any way to fix that?

12. Cold Iron

Cold Iron Senior member

Those 5th Street look great! I have the brown calf also.

13. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

You guys are making me want to get the Walnut shell Daltons at Pelle Line that have been sitting out there. They are a half size too big for me but I think boots are supposed to be worn with thicker socks anyway...right?

14. ReppTiePrepster

Nice looking medallion cap toe bal boots. Enjoy them in great health!

15. ReppTiePrepster

They can, but these are somewhat dressy/casual. I went with an E width instead of D because I like a smidge more room for boots. Seeing as how light colored shell may not be in the cards for a long while, it might be worth pulling the trigger and sending them back if the size doesn't work out.

16. indigoroots

indigoroots Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of single versus double keeper belts? Is one more dressy than the other?

17. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Do it. Those things have been orphaned for a VERY long time and desperately need a good home. And, you can always try insoles, tongue pads, etc. if the thick socks aren't enough . . .

[​IMG]

18. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

I'll drive over and try them on tomorrow. I guess the marlow wingtips will have to wait another year...

19. ReppTiePrepster

^^^If you're talking Marlows and they are on sale, I would go with Marlows hands down. Sorry to this thread, but I've gotten much more use out of the Marlows rather than the shell Daltons. I suppose it depends on whether or not you prefer boots to shoes.

20. NWTeal

NWTeal Senior member

You may be right. The Marlows would actually be cheaper for me at the moment (although they don't have my size right now) and I basically haven't touched my burgundy shell daltons since April, so you're right I would wear the Marlows more often. I guess it's the unobtainable factor of the walnut shell. It does feel like more of an impulse purchase versus the Marlows which I've wanted for about a year now. Decisions, decisions.....[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.