• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you do most of your AEs as straight lacing or do you reserve it more for formal styles?

Generally more formal, but the rule is not hard and fast.

I do all of my leather shoes straight bar, I like the look of that style and find it tighten and adjust better, personal preference

kentyman

Reaction score
I do all of my leather shoes straight bar, I like the look of that style and find it tighten and adjust better, personal preference

I actually really like Double Helix lacing on casual shoes. It tightens as closely as Straight Bar but is way quicker/easier to tighten. And it has a fun casual/formal look because it's parallel but askew.

850csi

Reaction score
Anyone know what 2003 merlot is? Also, anyone know the difference between merlot and burgundy is?

I believe 2003 is a code number for the leather color.

How long did it take for her to e-mail you a confirmation after you put in your order?

Do you do most of your AEs as straight lacing or do you reserve it more for formal styles?

The rule I generally follow is that balmorals get straight lacing, and bluchers, especially ones with an odd number of holes, get over under.

Last edited:

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does AE make a plain toe blucher in suede? or has anyone had one made up throught the MTO program/

I am looking for something like the Alden snuff suede PTB. Would it be maybe a Leeds or Kenilworth with a reverse split welt? I see that AE had a style called the Stewart on the 1 last so maybe that if it can still be made. I would want it in snuff. I prefer the plain look versus the Neumok in suede, I just have too may wingtips (I doubt that is a thing though lol)

Alden PTB in Snuff Suede:

AE Stewart in Navy Suede:

Last edited:

jimanchower

Reaction score

How does the rest of the shoe feel, the gap is due to the height of your instep, not the width of your toes and joints. Change to straight European lacing, it will lose up the gap a bit.

It's maybe a slight improvement, but the gap at the top is right at 1", which I feel is too much. Probably just wishful thinking on the sizing up thing. I may just have to do like tifosi and go with bluchers. A shame, since I really like this shoe.

medium.jpg

SidewinderX

Reaction score
I have both the blue and the olive - great shoes. I think the olive is more versatile than the blue. Wearing the blue with denim feels kinda "matchy matchy" to me. OTOH, the olive with denim looks great, and with khaki looks even better.

Thanks for the input guys -- seems like no one like the red! I think I agree the the olive would be more versatile, so I'm probably leaning that way. I like the snuff ones too, but I've already got a few options in various brown/tan suede shades, and I'm looking for a more bold option to mix in (most of my shoes fall in the tan -> dark brown spectrum, so one of these neumoks would be a bit more fun!)

Anyone ever get neumoks from the outlet? (and any idea of there's an outlet sale coming up soon? :) )

ryansto

Reaction score
It's maybe a slight improvement, but the gap at the top is right at 1", which I feel is too much. Probably just wishful thinking on the sizing up thing. I may just have to do like tifosi and go with bluchers. A shame, since I really like this shoe.

medium.jpg
It looks like that length accomodates the ball of your fooy correctly. I wouldn't go any longer- Maybe try a width up. A 1" spread is at the edge of acceptable spacing, but it will close some over time. The spread doesn't look so wide that it's pushing the topline back and out, so I don't know that I would bee too concerned.

mdavis534

Reaction score
Once they break in the gap will be smaller. The cork footbed will give in. That is what I noticed on my old strands.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

medium.jpg

I don't think that looks too wide of a gap at all. If the shoe feels comfortable, then you should be good to go.

jimanchower

Reaction score

It looks like that length accomodates the ball of your fooy correctly. I wouldn't go any longer- Maybe try a width up. A 1" spread is at the edge of acceptable spacing, but it will close some over time. The spread doesn't look so wide that it's pushing the topline back and out, so I don't know that I would bee too concerned.

That's a good point, and perhaps I'm overthinking things. A quick image search shows plenty of shoes-on-feet with a gap as wide as mine. Unfortunately I'm already in an EEE width, so going wider isn't an option. I've had good luck stretching some shell cordovan boots to accommodate my higher instep, so if I end up keeping them I may see about having my local shop put them on the stretcher.

ryewo[i dmfsOZI490w

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All of my AE shoes fit with that gap in the lacing and it doesn't bother me at all.

I'm also going to keep an eye out on boxing day for a new pair of Strands.

Last edited:

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Should I be concerned about this creasing on my new Bayfields?

Anything specific you guys recommend as far as treating the problematic side to avoid cracking as that is my main concern. One side of the right shoe is very creased/wrinkled (since day one before wearing) yet on the other side it is perfectly fine. Maybe just lesser quality leather on the bad side, got them from Lands End and I would say these probably should have been Seconds imo.

Heavily creased side:

The other side with no issues:

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does the rest of the shoe feel, the gap is due to the height of your instep, not the width of your toes and joints. Change to straight European lacing, it will lose up the gap a bit.

medium.jpg

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/straighteuropeanlacing.htm

I meant for European, normal straight bar doesn't tighten very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads