Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Thank you for all of the feedback; I really can't argue with any of it. I agree on the edging, eyelets, and speed hooks, and V-Tread really seems to make the most sense. Thanks again for helping me confirm where I was already leaning.

2. Nakedsnake

Nakedsnake Senior member

Thank you, bouncing ideas back and forth has really helped me with my own make up as well, and thank you for adding the information you received from Allison regarding lining and what not. Very interested in seeing how these turn out for us. These make ups; yours, as well as my own, and a few that some of the other members have talked about, are really what the eagle county should have been. AE doesn't have a simple Cap toe boot, which is a staple in my opinion. Really looking forward to all of this, these various make ups will be great to see.

3. d4nimal

d4nimal Senior member

I think if you've worked it out this completely and thoughtfully, regardless of which you choose you will be happy with it. None of the things you're considering are really wacky. Sounds like a more casual boot in most regards. I think it'd look right at home w/ a stockier mini lug given the other "rugged" characteristics you've chosen, but if you went leather I don't think it would look disjointed.

As someone pointed out above, interesting about the Independence Lining. Hard to imagine it would make more than a millimeter of difference, but who knows. Props also on the links to pics of stuff like the edge dressing examples - hard to know what's what without poring over every picture in the catalogs.

4. BCer

BCer Senior member

Different pants, different lighting. I like my blues.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

6. mdubs

mdubs The Mayor of Aldensville

7. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

FWIW I don't notice any size difference at all with independence lining, just extreme comfort.

I would definitely stick with the Independence lining if you have the cash, it's 100% worth it

8. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

While I wouldn't get your hopes up on the 270 welt, it would be absolutely fantastic if they would accommodate that. Their Executive Line from a few years ago was 270 degree welted, so they may surprise us all and do it. That would open up a whole new realm of possibilities for them, as there are many people who shift to other brands specifically because they don't want their dress shoes to be 360 degree welted. I'd be all over a Fifth Avenue or a Park Avenue built on the 8-last with a 270 welt, JR sole with dovetail heel, and wheeled welt as a new "workhorse" suit shoe.

9. tjyoung

tjyoung Senior member

Are there examples of each of these? I placed an order yesterday for light brown transparent, and Allison said they're pretty much all the same. Someone was saying natural looks a little more "flashy"...anyone have examples of all three colors?

10. tjyoung

tjyoung Senior member

How much extra for the independence lining?

11. 850csi

850csi Senior member

FWIW, the thought that came to my head was that if you went CXL + mini lug, the boot might end up being too casual to dress up. V-tread probably makes sense.

As far the lining - for me, the cowhide EC fit perfectly. Allison was of the opinion that a calfskin shoe would actually feel a little looser, and that going with the Independence lining would tighten it back up a bit. So I went with the Independence insole/lining.

I went with brass eyelets because it better matched the black/chili color scheme I'm going for.

Fellas, has anyone ever put chili stitching on a black welt?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013

12. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

13. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Will there be a seconds sale for Christmas? or when is the next sale? I really wanted some walnut strands in seconds.

14. Gauss17

Gauss17 Senior member

I'd keep an eye or at or after Christmas. If nothing else, Brooks Brothers sells an AE strand for $368 in walnut. The day after Christmas it should be 25%+15% off, bringing the price for firsts down to $234.60 assuming the sale is the same as last year.

15. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

Please see this post for an updated list of all MTO options I'm aware of. I have more links to different edge dressings, for example:

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.