1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

You're probably right, as the foam layer has a thin sublayer between the gemming. It looks like it has fibers, but it is quite flexible, not much integrity to it:

[​IMG]

I think the leather sole has to be given credit of some of the shoes lack of flexing here. While that fiber layer might give the insole the minimum strength necessary to hold itself intact, it would hardly keep the shoe from flexing like a cemented shoe i would think...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  2. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

What were the specs supposed to be? If it was a light edge then you could always take some fine sand paper to the edge to get back to natural. Would look better to match the welt. Maybe even a light brown? I was going to do it to some Dundees but would have still had a black welt so decided against it. Not trying to talk you out if selling. Just talking over some options. I agree I would t have sent them to BNelson either.

3. cincikid

cincikid Senior member

I hear you. This is a valid question and I should have probably done that. In a retrospect, I guess I just didn't feel like messing around with the brand new shoes, so I boxed them and put in a closet. I acquired quite a few LWBs since then (mostly Alden) and lost my original crave for this make up. Make no mistake, they are terrific shoes, but I just don't think I like them any more.

4. mdubs

mdubs Senior member

It has been a long few weeks, I just got home from work... Its going to be like this for me for the next few weeks.

Wow, you guys crack me up. Yes, I think we have far to much knowledge of one anothers shoes! If it makes you feel better @tifosi, I think I could recite your entire Alden collection off the top of my head.

So, those shoes were not sourced from me. I am not sure who sold them, but I have a few guesses. I still have my 10.5Ds (made by mistake) and my 10.5Cs (what I wanted). Indeed my first pair was made correctly, the second pair was made with dark edges. I sent them back and they sanded down the edges and re-applied the edging, so they are now within spec (although it has a brown welt versus the chili welt of which I ordered).

For the record, I have three pairs of Walnut Shell (Daltons, Strands, and Dundees), one pair of Cappuccino Shell (Jefferson with light edges),two pairs of Brown Shell (the two Strands referenced above), and one pair of Black Shell (Harrison). I still have a few pairs of AE calf, of which I plan to sell when I get time...

-Mike

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  5. area3400

area3400 Member

Anyone has a favorite belt that goes with AEs brown burnished? Trying to match/coordinate with my Kenilworths. I got the wide basic but they sent the wrong color (dark brown burnished -looks almost black) and I don't like the "allen Edmonds" on the buckle.

6. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

I have the Madison dress belt and like it very much. It's plain and simple, just like the kenilworths.

7. Kwaker

Kwaker Senior member

I really enjoyed the recent shoe dissections along with the DIY colour enhancements and refinishing.

8. evilWagon

evilWagon Senior member

I agree, it gives a much greater appreciation for the details that we pay for. I know AE has their 212 steps video, but something a bit more indepth/purpose driven would likely satisfy those of us that like to geek out on these details, and help educate the uninitiated.

9. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Agree. Good illustrations of shoe innards. One day I'll find an AE shoe by the side of the road and proceed to dissect it.

Bwn shell strands today:

[​IMG]

10. area3400

area3400 Member

Nice. I don't like the logo on the buckle on the basic wide belt but the madisons do not have that. Do you find the "brown" goes well with burnished brown (i.e. not too dark). the dark brown was to much contrast for my taste.

11. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

I think it's pretty close. I don't put them next to each other so I can't confirm if they are matching 100 percent. PM me if you would like a picture next to a burnished brown shoe I have.

12. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Thanks for the inspiration, Walnut Strands and navy today [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  13. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

The freshly broken in sole of my burgundy cordovan Daltons received some freshly chewed gum... Suggestions for how to remove without scraping them up?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Trying to avoid solvents or too much scraping

14. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Goof Off....not you, the remover. I am not sure if it will stain the leather sole though.

Depending on the fall boot release I may have to get a pair of these...

15. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Try using your teeth.

1 person likes this.
  16. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Let the gum harden naturally, then harden it up a little more with an ice pack (if they were your Chuck Taylor's, I'd say toss them into the freezer for an hour or so).

Then, take a knife and work carefully, but not necessarily delicately, beginning on the sole. You may need a little edge dressing when you are done.

If you don't get 100% off the bottom, walk around the block and that'll take care of most of the rest.

They are lovely but they are cord boots with JR soles. I wouldn't worry too much about the soles.

17. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

Oh, the leather sole absolutely contributes to the stiffness. Really, it's the entire construction method that results in a much stiffer shoe than a regular cemented shoe, as a cemented shoe with a leather sole is still far more flexible than a Goodyear-welted shoe. Texon can get pretty thin, and it's hard to see from the photos if that's what we are looking at, but what I'm seeing only further deters me from the Poron insole models.

1 person likes this.
  18. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I have the Heritage and the BB Strand both with Poron and the difference it would seem is the leather sits on top of the Poron down the whole shoe. Also I had the Heritage re-soled by B Nelson and there was no issue at all. My guess is they have made some improvements to it over the years.

19. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

This is a much better answer than the one I gave, but I still find my solution to be more amusing in light of your concern about scraping the bottoms of your leather soles. They are leather soles and will look like crap where the gum is after a few months of wear. Scrape away.

20. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

E needs to bring back something like the Orleans asap. Fingers crossed for something next Spring.

Olive, Snuff, Tan and White Suede options
    Unlined
    1 last or 8 last
    5 eyelet
    Storm welt
    Single waterlock sole or Danitie
    Bonus points for exposed eyelets

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.