• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentyman

Reaction score
Are there examples of each of these? I placed an order yesterday for light brown transparent, and Allison said they're pretty much all the same. Someone was saying natural looks a little more "flashy"...anyone have examples of all three colors?

Please see above for links of different edge dressings.

kentyman

Reaction score
How much extra for the independence lining?

My understanding is it's a free option on MTOs.

Can anyone comment on how the independence lining affects fit? My understanding is that there is no difference in fit, only in feeling, with the independence lining being a little softer, and a little bit more well made.
Thanks for commenting on the independence lining being a little thicker. Im going to change mine back to regular lining then. Would love to get purple lining, but doubt thats an option.
As someone pointed out above, interesting about the Independence Lining. Hard to imagine it would make more than a millimeter of difference, but who knows.
FWIW I don't notice any size difference at all with independence lining, just extreme comfort.
As far the lining - for me, the cowhide EC fit perfectly. Allison was of the opinion that a calfskin shoe would actually feel a little looser, and that going with the Independence lining would tighten it back up a bit. So I went with the Independence insole/lining.

850csi, I'm surprised Allison said calfskin would feel looser than cowhide. This is opposite from how the Rough Collection shoes behave.

To be clear, here is what Allison said to me regarding Independence fit. For comparison, I wear 8.5D in the 5-65 last:

Quote:

850csi

Reaction score
FWIW Allison said there's no such thing as chili edge dressing - I suspect the McTavishes you posted as an example of that might have the toasted natural. There's definitely some variation from shoe to shoe even for theoretically identical finishes.

850csi, I'm surprised Allison said calfskin would feel looser than cowhide. This is opposite from how the Rough Collection shoes behave.

I don't know man. Perhaps she was referring to the specific cowhide that comes on the default EC - maybe the Dublin leather on the rough collection shoes is thinner. But it would certainly make sense - the leather on the ECs I tried on is significantly thicker than any of of my calfskin shoes.

Last edited:

kentyman

Reaction score
FWIW Allison said there's no such thing as chili edge dressing - I suspect the McTavishes you posted as an example of that might have the toasted natural. There's definitely some variation from shoe to shoe even for theoretically identical finishes.

Thanks for this follow-up. I guessed on that chili link, but the rest were direct examples Allison gave me. Well, except for the black on, but I'm petty confident in that. ;)

I'll remove the chili reference. Still, it's interesting that AE sells "chili" edge dressing and it works perfectly on my Cognac McTavishes.

850csi

Reaction score
Thanks for this follow-up. I guessed on that chili link, but the rest were direct examples Allison gave me. Well, except for the black on, but I'm petty confident in that. ;)

I'll remove the chili reference. Still, it's interesting that AE sells "chili" edge dressing and it works perfectly on my Cognac McTavishes.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. That's probably what I'll use on the midsole on my MTOs.

MaddysDad

Reaction score
Does anyone have a female significant other who wears AE and if so, what models? My wife has a difficult time finding women's shoes that are wide enough. Given the size and width options, AEs may be a solution.

On a related note, does anyone know of a women's shoe company with options similar to AE?

Subutai

Reaction score
Someone a while back posted pics of a female SA wearing the 5th Street boots; looked pretty good

jimanchower

Reaction score
These are AE Park Aves in 8.5 3E. The lacing is obviously too wide at the top. Is it worth seeing if a half size up will make enough of a difference, or do I need to find a different shoe/last?

medium.jpg

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

These are AE Park Aves in 8.5 3E. The lacing is obviously too wide at the top. Is it worth seeing if a half size up will make enough of a difference, or do I need to find a different shoe/last?

medium.jpg

How does the rest of the shoe feel, the gap is due to the height of your instep, not the width of your toes and joints. Change to straight European lacing, it will lose up the gap a bit.

tjyoung

Reaction score
It's official:

-2003 MERLOT BURNISHED CALF
-TONE ON TONE UPPER STITCH
-INDEPENDENCE LEATHER LINING AND INSOLE
-BLACK FLAT WELT
-DOUBLE BUTYL OUTSOLE
-DARK BROWN TRANSPARENT EDGE DRESSING
-BLACK EYELETS AND SPEEDHOOKS (3)

Anyone know what 2003 merlot is? Also, anyone know the difference between merlot and burgundy is?

optopi314

Reaction score
How does the rest of the shoe feel, the gap is due to the height of your instep, not the width of your toes and joints. Change to straight European lacing, it will lose up the gap a bit.

Do you do most of your AEs as straight lacing or do you reserve it more for formal styles?

kentyman

Reaction score
Anyone know what 2003 merlot is? Also, anyone know the difference between merlot and burgundy is?

I'm sure it's just the style code, not a year. Merlot is the name they use for their calf and burgundy is the name they use for their shell cordovan.

kentyman

Reaction score
Do you do most of your AEs as straight lacing or do you reserve it more for formal styles?

Generally more formal, but the rule is not hard and fast.

dapperdoctor

Reaction score
Does anyone have a female significant other who wears AE and if so, what models? My wife has a difficult time finding women's shoes that are wide enough. Given the size and width options, AEs may be a solution.

On a related note, does anyone know of a women's shoe company with options similar to AE?
When I was in Madrid, I stopped in the Carmina store. They had a section of women's shoes that were great- both high heels and flats. The problem is that they are very hard to find in the US and you would likely have to import them. You're much better off buying the expensive stuff for yourself and sending the wife out to DSW or something.
fing02[1].gif

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

+1. I have the same problem. I only have one bal for that reason, really. The rest of the shoe fits great, I just end up with a huge unsightly gap. They just don't work with my instep so I stick to bluchers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads