Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

2. New Shoes1

New Shoes1 Senior member

Water and snow are no issue for suede - as long as it's been properly treated. Salt, though, that's another story. Seriously, there are videos/pictures of SF members cleaning their suede shoes with running water and shampoo and then stuffing them with newspapers while they dry.

3. mdavis534

mdavis534 Senior member

They are 9.5d.

4. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

Those are really nice. Did you actually try on the Wolverines? How does the Bayfield fit compare?

5. Indyoshi68

Indyoshi68 Senior member

6. DerangedGoose

DerangedGoose Senior member

Burzan, is that what AE calls the mini-lug sole? Its less aggressive than I thought, maybe I will go with that for the eagle county MTO

7. MacktasticGDogg

MacktasticGDogg Senior member

Yes, I have a can of the nano protector. I've tried it on other suede shoes and they do work well. I figure with the Dainite sole and nano protector, the suede Moras should be fine in the winter. Of course, when it's pretty messy and slushy outside, I'm unlikely to be wearing them.

8. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

I am pretty sure that is what it's called. Maybe and AE expert can confirm, they are for sure much less agressive looking compared to the pics of the Long Branch I have seen

I never got a chance to try on the Wolverines, I ordered them from Haberdash and they oversold my size and cancelled my order so after learning Lands End still had the Bayfield I switched.

9. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

10. BARNFARM

BARNFARM Member

I bought a pair of Park Aves back in February of this year. After about two months of wear, the leather on the inside part of the heel on both shoes started to split. I went back to the store where I bought them and they had a new pair sent to me, which was great. That was back in June/July. But after maybe a month or two wearing the newer pair I started to notice that the creasing was a little more extreme or pronounced than it was on the original pair.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have a pair of Fifth Aves that aren't this bad either. Any idea if this would be an issue they'd fix by replacing the shoes again, or am I most likely stuck with them since they already replaced 1 pair because of something else?

edit: Forgot to mention that I use conditioning cream and polish about every 2 or 3 weeks and only wear the shoes twice a week

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  11. Burzan

Burzan Senior member

Looks like I am having some speed hook issues. The back of a couple of them stick out quite a bit, plus are rough and have scratched the leather quite bad for only one afternoon of wear.

What should I do? Maybe see if a cobbler can get them flush/smooth. Anybody deal with something similar, seems like it could possibly be an easy fix. As much as I know you don't see the tongue, I really would prefer them not to be getting damaged.

[​IMG]

12. TheSizzle

TheSizzle Senior member

The simplest solution of which I can think would be to have a strip of leather stitched over them (on the inside). I can't take credit for coming up with that because I just noticed they're not exposed on modern Alden indy boots. Still, the pressure of tight lacing can cause pull-up leathers, like chromexcel, to temporarily change colors where the eyelets touch.

13. BCer

BCer Senior member

What are you choosing to do for care on them? I already picked up and treated my Eagle County with LP to be my "winter" boot so I think I may stick to Reno and brushing for this piar. Have yet to fully make a decision though.

I had to second look at mine now to see about the black edge. My pic is a little dark but it does have the lighter brown above the black rubber on the sole. Mine are a size 8 and I have to admit the pic I took makes them look a little stumpy lol so here are a few more.

As they're CXL leather, I used the full-meal-deal Obenauf's LP with hair dryer method, concentrating on the sole welt area. Now after I take them off, just hit them with a brush and they get a great satin-sheen. Only been in some rain once, and they beaded up great.

14. DNSamurai

DNSamurai Senior member

My Black Friday purchases arrived today, brown waxy Longbranch and brown Neumora. The Neumoras are definitely going back. With my wide foot - 9EEE- they just do not look good.

As for the Longbranch, I can't find a singe thing wrong with them and they feel good. They look extremely similar to my walnut shell Daltons, but are more comfortable. So now that has me thinking about selling the Daltons.

I'm also still interested in the MTO Eagle County (sent Allison an email, haven't heard anything back yet), as well as the Rothsay.

15. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

Sell your walnut shell Daltons?? Because of your Long Branches? Ouch! I have both and imo they are different enough to not even consider getting rid of either. I'd only say to sell the Daltons if they do not fit well. Those walnut shell boots might be scarce for a while.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.