• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentyman

Reaction score

New Shoes1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suede shoes in the snow? You're a braver man than I.

Killer shoes btw....

Wow, those are a great looking pair of shoes. I was thinking about a pair of Neumoks in Snuff Suede but these may have changed my mind.

Good job with the MTO, but like someone else pointed out- be careful with getting your suede wet!!!

Water and snow are no issue for suede - as long as it's been properly treated. Salt, though, that's another story. Seriously, there are videos/pictures of SF members cleaning their suede shoes with running water and shampoo and then stuffing them with newspapers while they dry.

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
Yep, that was for you. I have some Walnut Francos, bought them during RDA, but would have been very tempted by the Merlot had I known they were coming. Would also be tempted by Mora 2.0's in Merlot....I guess I'm a monk junkie. Monkie? Wait....

As requested, in the wild: My burgundy Franciscans (MTO, Independence leathers)

So, Subutai stole mah' thunda'... But it's all good! Franciscan, in the not-so-wild, after ripping open the box(es)

Actually beautiful to me, heavy burnish and all...but not without issues (I always seem to find some):

leather TEARING inside right strap, and...

leather tearing inside left strap!!!

now, what is this? Yes, I know, glue, but why is it inside all four shoes?

Also, notice the dark ribbing that borders the opening and strap of the Merlot Franciscan pic on AE's website is CONSPICUOUSLY missing on mine. CRAP!!!

You say, "four shoes"? Yes, which brings me to my second issue:
Bourbon Parkway - this shoe is VERY nice:

...but IT AIN'T BOURBON!!! AAARRGGHHH!!! ...walnut.

Opinions on the return of Franciscan??? Is it going to rip apart? Will they repair when it does? Almost full price, so... Settle?

Do I send back this parkway? It's more casual, it's why I got it. It looks sooo nice in person though...but I wanted the bourbon. It's pretty much perfect on the outside, save a light mark (glue peeled away, maybe, screwing the finish) on the top of right vamp of right shoe.

Perfect fit on both, btw. I am figuring out different lasts on my feet.

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
What are you choosing to do for care on them? I already picked up and treated my Eagle County with LP to be my "winter" boot so I think I may stick to Reno and brushing for this piar. Have yet to fully make a decision though.

I had to second look at mine now to see about the black edge. My pic is a little dark but it does have the lighter brown above the black rubber on the sole. Mine are a size 8 and I have to admit the pic I took makes them look a little stumpy lol so here are a few more.

Burzan, is that what AE calls the mini-lug sole? Its less aggressive than I thought, maybe I will go with that for the eagle county MTO

MacktasticGDogg

Reaction score

Good job with the MTO, but like someone else pointed out- be careful with getting your suede wet!!!

Never tried this, but the video is compelling. I'm sure there are many other products that are comparable:

http://leffot.com/shop/index.php/shoe-care/nano-protector-1489.html

Yes, I have a can of the nano protector. I've tried it on other suede shoes and they do work well. I figure with the Dainite sole and nano protector, the suede Moras should be fine in the winter. Of course, when it's pretty messy and slushy outside, I'm unlikely to be wearing them.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burzan, is that what AE calls the mini-lug sole? Its less aggressive than I thought, maybe I will go with that for the eagle county MTO

I am pretty sure that is what it's called. Maybe and AE expert can confirm, they are for sure much less agressive looking compared to the pics of the Long Branch I have seen

Those are really nice. Did you actually try on the Wolverines? How does the Bayfield fit compare?

I never got a chance to try on the Wolverines, I ordered them from Haberdash and they oversold my size and cancelled my order so after learning Lands End still had the Bayfield I switched.

BARNFARM

Reaction score
I bought a pair of Park Aves back in February of this year. After about two months of wear, the leather on the inside part of the heel on both shoes started to split. I went back to the store where I bought them and they had a new pair sent to me, which was great. That was back in June/July. But after maybe a month or two wearing the newer pair I started to notice that the creasing was a little more extreme or pronounced than it was on the original pair.

I have a pair of Fifth Aves that aren't this bad either. Any idea if this would be an issue they'd fix by replacing the shoes again, or am I most likely stuck with them since they already replaced 1 pair because of something else?

edit: Forgot to mention that I use conditioning cream and polish about every 2 or 3 weeks and only wear the shoes twice a week

Last edited:

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like I am having some speed hook issues. The back of a couple of them stick out quite a bit, plus are rough and have scratched the leather quite bad for only one afternoon of wear.

What should I do? Maybe see if a cobbler can get them flush/smooth. Anybody deal with something similar, seems like it could possibly be an easy fix. As much as I know you don't see the tongue, I really would prefer them not to be getting damaged.

TheSizzle

Reaction score
Looks like I am having some speed hook issues. The back of a couple of them stick out quite a bit, plus are rough and have scratched the leather quite bad for only one afternoon of wear.

What should I do? Maybe see if a cobbler can get them flush/smooth. Anybody deal with something similar, seems like it could possibly be an easy fix. As much as I know you don't see the tongue, I really would prefer them not to be getting damaged.

The simplest solution of which I can think would be to have a strip of leather stitched over them (on the inside). I can't take credit for coming up with that because I just noticed they're not exposed on modern Alden indy boots. Still, the pressure of tight lacing can cause pull-up leathers, like chromexcel, to temporarily change colors where the eyelets touch.

BCer

Reaction score
What are you choosing to do for care on them? I already picked up and treated my Eagle County with LP to be my "winter" boot so I think I may stick to Reno and brushing for this piar. Have yet to fully make a decision though.

I had to second look at mine now to see about the black edge. My pic is a little dark but it does have the lighter brown above the black rubber on the sole. Mine are a size 8 and I have to admit the pic I took makes them look a little stumpy lol so here are a few more.

As they're CXL leather, I used the full-meal-deal Obenauf's LP with hair dryer method, concentrating on the sole welt area. Now after I take them off, just hit them with a brush and they get a great satin-sheen. Only been in some rain once, and they beaded up great.

DNSamurai

Reaction score
My Black Friday purchases arrived today, brown waxy Longbranch and brown Neumora. The Neumoras are definitely going back. With my wide foot - 9EEE- they just do not look good.

As for the Longbranch, I can't find a singe thing wrong with them and they feel good. They look extremely similar to my walnut shell Daltons, but are more comfortable. So now that has me thinking about selling the Daltons.

I'm also still interested in the MTO Eagle County (sent Allison an email, haven't heard anything back yet), as well as the Rothsay.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Black Friday purchases arrived today, brown waxy Longbranch and brown Neumora. The Neumoras are definitely going back. With my wide foot - 9EEE- they just do not look good.

As for the Longbranch, I can't find a singe thing wrong with them and they feel good. They look extremely similar to my walnut shell Daltons, but are more comfortable. So now that has me thinking about selling the Daltons.

I'm also still interested in the MTO Eagle County (sent Allison an email, haven't heard anything back yet), as well as the Rothsay.

Sell your walnut shell Daltons?? Because of your Long Branches? Ouch! I have both and imo they are different enough to not even consider getting rid of either. I'd only say to sell the Daltons if they do not fit well. Those walnut shell boots might be scarce for a while.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads