Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. halfnhalfnhalf

halfnhalfnhalf Senior member

2. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

PSA: You can apply the Macy's Friends & Family 25% off code "FRIEND" toward their stock of AE.

3. tampatravel

tampatravel Senior member

I love these shoes!!

I'll be wearing these exact shoes tomorrow for a work event. The candy cane laces that AE sells probably put these over the top but then again, I am wearing Green/Red/Green Saddles :)

I bought mine at the last 2 for $250 sale along with the Red/White/Blue MacNeils.

4. mmmtttt

mmmtttt Senior member

Okay well can someone PM me Allisons email, this post just made me want to order that exact same makeup without the extra burnish

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013

5. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

As requested, in the wild: My burgundy Franciscans (MTO, Independence leathers)

[​IMG]

6. clarksdb

clarksdb Senior member

Macy's sells AE?

7. 850csi

850csi Senior member

I'm not big on monk straps, but those are very nice.

Question: what is Independence leather exactly? Does the Independence collection have a higher grade of leather?

This is what I went with; I basically tried to create a captoe version of the Shaker Heights (sans tweed, obviously).

8. tjyoung

tjyoung Senior member

I've noticed the same thing re:the Franciscans around these parts. I think the forum generally doesn't show much love to the 333 last. Maybe it's because there aren't many balmorals featured in this last? Personally, it's my favorite last, with some damn sexy options:

-Franciscan
    -Rutledge
    -Larchmont (personal favorite)
    -Parkway (I own two of these; one in walnut, other in brown, but the heavy stitching throws them off a bit...love the shape though)
    -Portland
    -Hanover
    -Boca Raton (more seasonal)
    -Harrison (mdubs, I believe, did this in black cordovan...making me think about returning my unworn park aves and MTOing these)
    -Flatiron

I even like the Haight boot, but not sure if the Chelsea-style would fit my narrow foot well. Looks great though.

All-in-all, I think the 333 is Allen Edmonds's best last.

9. kentyman

kentyman Senior member

AE fans are often likely to be fans of "traditional" dress shoe shapes, and thus don't gravitate to the chiseled, European look. I personally wouldn't buy something on the 333, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't.

10. tjyoung

tjyoung Senior member

Side-note on my own thought...I wonder if Allen Edmonds made some non-Independent line, balmoral shoes on the 333 if this last might become more popular (i.e. make a basic strand/fifth ave/park ave on the 333).

11. Subutai

Subutai Senior member

Thank you; yes the Independence Line features higher quality leathers, including the outsole and lining. I initially didnt think it would make a big difference but now I feel it is well worth it to upgrade when possible

12. OptoDoc

OptoDoc Senior member

Welcome to the board, optopi314! As a man who once went through optometry school myself, I commend you for learning about proper footwear now (instead of a couple of years after graduation like myself). I assure you, that no one else in your class (and few of your professors) will own shoes as nice as yours (as long as you remember to keep good care of them!). Depending on which school you are attending, (I went to SCO), you may start clinical rotations in your second year, and will be wearing your white coat. I think the shoes you have chosen thus for are excellent. I would recommend practicing some frugality while you are in school and not getting bit by the Allen Edmonds bug too fiercely. You will be paying for your purchases in the future with interest after all...damn student loans!

Might I suggest this for your next pair as the Clifton is a great shoe, a dark brown cap-toe is a versatile staple, and the price is presently quite appealing ($160 after the 30% discount).

http://www.shoebuy.com/allen-edmonds-clifton/149589/346015

I would be done buying shoes for awhile after this...if I were you. Your next purchase going forward really should be a simple black plain-toe or cap-toe to wear during formal occasions.

Cheers to you, my good man. If you need anything in the future, feel free to PM me.

Edit: It appears the discount code doesn't work on the Clifton...sorry.

13. GOP Shoe Guy

GOP Shoe Guy Senior member

I should be getting my Franciscans in burgundy cordovan this week. Seeing these makes me want them now...

14. sungmineyo

sungmineyo Senior member

First of all, ty GOP Shoe Guy for sharing.

I am also thinking to hop on the wagon. I want to use boots as winter dress shoes for business casual environment (slacks+dress shirts). I wear alden #8 captoe with commando sole to work very often. I like GOP's spec except colour (thinking darker shade of brown, no burnish). Can anyone enlight me if boots is good choice for purposed usage?

15. DJTraveler

DJTraveler Senior member

Yup. You can view the limited selection on Macy's website.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.