• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where's the farce exactly? AE makes an absolute minority of its shoes in the DR in order to establish its presence and compete with JM, Cole Haan and such in the below $200 market segment. The shoes they make in the DR are clearly marked as such. Dislike some other brands (Grenson first comes to mind), they don't make most of the shoe in the DR and then import it to the US for the final assembly.
Actually, some of the uppers are made in DR for regular line shoes and then welted and finished in the US, which some people would call as just final assembly in the US. I believe that's what he's pointing to.

Either way, final QC happens in the US. Also, I have no problem nor think it's a farce since AE offshores its production in the DR and not outsource. AE owns the factories, runs it independently and treats the employees as their own. You can look up Paul's comments about this. I have no problem with it as long as they continue to use the same quality materials, construction process and AE still maintains control of production.

cincikid

Reaction score
Actually, some of the uppers are made in DR for regular line shoes and then welted and finished in the US, which some people would call as just final assembly in the US. I believe that's what he's pointing to.

Either way, final QC happens in the US. Also, I have no problem nor think it's a farce since AE offshores its production in the DR and not outsource. AE owns the factories, runs it independently and treats the employees as their own. You can look up Paul's comments about this. I have no problem with it as long as they continue to use the same quality materials, construction process and AE still maintains control of production.
I've heard they produce some uppers in the DR but I have no source for this claim. I've read somewhere this is being done when they have a particularly busy production period, but other than that, I presume (or, rather, I hope) they make the shoes here in the US.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Check post #19282. Actually all of the posts by Paul are relatively informative.

Looks like the uppers are partially completed in the DR some of the time.

Last edited:

BCer

Reaction score

BCer, is that a a dark navy jingle bell mok in your avatar photo? I'd be interested in seeing some more photos showing the color.

No, just blue Neumoks. I couldn't justify buying a pair just for Christmas. Lol. But I probably wear the blue Neumoks more than any of my fairly casual collection of AE. Fit and wear like slippers. Look great with blue, khaki or ivory chinos, and even jeans.
[/IMG]

Same shoes, different lighting.

Last edited:

BCer

Reaction score

No, just blue Neumoks. I couldn't justify buying a pair just for Christmas. Lol. But I probably wear the blue Neumoks more than any of my fairly casual collection of AE. Fit and wear like slippers. Look great with blue, khaki or ivory chinos, and even jeans.
[/IMG]

Same shoes, different lighting.

Ok, I think I'm an idiot. When you say "Jingle Bell Mok" I think of the green/red ones. But the new blue ones seems VERY close to the regular blue - which I do have, as above. It looks like they changed the soles from the regular blue Neumoks, and made the stitching and laces almost white, versus beige in the regular blue Neumoks. I love mine!

I will say they my Neumoks came brand new quite light blue. After a rubdown with either AE leather lotion or rejuvenator (can't remember which) they darkened up to a nice rich dark blue. I just give them a strong brushing after each wearing now. Same as my blue Cronmoks - they came light blue. Now they're a nice deep blue after some rejuvenator.

AndrewN

Reaction score
My brown shell Patriots arrived today. I'm in love with the shoes, but not quite sure about the fit. My SA advised sizing down .5 to account for any stretching.
This worked well when trying on the calfskin models in the store, but with the shell model I noticed some discomfort in my little toe.
Will these break in over time, or should I try a different size?

watchidiot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Noob question here. What do you call the thin edge just between the lining and the uppers found in some of the shoes like here in the Adams. Some shoes like the McTavish dont have them. Can the color of this part of the shoe be specified as part of an MTO?

Much thanks for the information!

both images from allenedmonds.com

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Noob question here. What do you call the thin edge just between the lining and the uppers found in some of the shoes like here in the Adams. Some shoes like the McTavish dont have them. Can the color of this part of the shoe be specified as part of an MTO? Much thanks for the information!
both images from allenedmonds.com
I don't know what the technical shoe term would be, but I would call it "piping" as used in other items and leather goods. If there is a technical term I'm sure MoneyWellSpent will know and should be along shortly.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ Topline. I'd buy that for a dollar.

tampatravel

Reaction score
I'd probably even call it the "top line piping" as tifosi noted - since not all shoes have piping but they typically have a top line, unless they're a flip flop. Rhombus vs Square kinda thing
nod[1].gif

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

I'd probably even call it the "top line piping" as tifosi noted - since not all shoes have piping but they typically have a top line, unless they're a flip flop. Rhombus vs Square kinda thing
nod%5B1%5D.gif

Good point, tampa.

bkotsko

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where's the farce exactly? AE makes an absolute minority of its shoes in the DR in order to establish its presence and compete with JM, Cole Haan and such in the below $200 market segment. The shoes they make in the DR are clearly marked as such. Dislike some other brands (Grenson first comes to mind), they don't make most of the shoe in the DR and then import it to the US for the final assembly.

It is not as much the made in DR issue as it is the potential inferior product.
I was more referring to what has occurred with many US brands (not only shoes) that have now gone the way of the dodo bird.
They start making an inferior quality shoe (ie. cemented construction), that happens to have a better gross margin.
This inferior shoe then dilutes the brand, and the brand loses its intrinsic value.
I thoroughly appreciate AE and their products, but I am fearful of this dilution.
There is not enough of a differentiation of branding between "Allen Edmonds" and "ae by Allen Edmonds".
I wonder if a different branding methodology would segregate the products enough to not take away from what we have come to love about Allen Edmonds.

cincikid

Reaction score
It is not as much the made in DR issue as it is the potential inferior product.
I was more referring to what has occurred with many US brands (not only shoes) that have now gone the way of the dodo bird.
They start making an inferior quality shoe (ie. cemented construction), that happens to have a better gross margin.
This inferior shoe then dilutes the brand, and the brand loses its intrinsic value.
I thoroughly appreciate AE and their products, but I am fearful of this dilution.
There is not enough of a differentiation of branding between "Allen Edmonds" and "ae by Allen Edmonds".
I wonder if a different branding methodology would segregate the products enough to not take away from what we have come to love about Allen Edmonds.
The difference is pretty clear to me and, I suppose, to any buyer who would want to spend a few seconds reading about the shoes he's getting. AE clearly marks the shoes with cemented construction as such (e.g.) and indicates the country of the manufacture. I am not sure what's going to happen down the road, but so far AE has been as honest as it gets when it comes to marketing.
Fwiw, Alden also has its Cape Cod collection which, to borrow your terminology, is much "inferior" to their standard line but I've heard no complains about it diluting the value of the brand.

evolved

Reaction score
Has anyone heard from MTO Allison this past week? I emailed her last Friday and the Friday before about my MTO order and have not heard anything back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads