1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRay

JRay Member

Thank you!! The socks I found on Amazon. The shoe laces I found at www.shoelacesexpress.com. Shoelaces Express has a large selection of Waxed Cotton Dress, Flat and Casual laces in a lot of colors. You can even get them in custom lengths to order.

Last edited: May 12, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  2. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

Wearing MTO dark chocolate MacNeil 5s today:

[​IMG]

Didn't know what you guys meant by your shoes squeaking and now I know haha. Didn't hear it while I was walking outside but holy squeaking so much in the office. I'll be glued to my chair today haha

3. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

Hey Won,

I had this problem with a pair of AEs as well, but the creaking sounds were suppressed 90% once I sprinkled baby powder onto the parts creating the friction. For my case, it was the tongue creating a frcition with the flaps (derby). It can get a little messy with baby powder, but just wipe off the excess and you should be fine.

Frugal tip: just buy the travel-size container (only $1)

4. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

I'm wearing some new Daltons today that have a squeak issue as well. First time I had to change shoes at lunch, then realized I forgot to condition the tongue before the first wearing. So went back and did tongue and inside of the flap and it seemed to help some. However today the left shoe is the culprit. So also won't be moving around as much either! Not sure if its better or worse when its just one.

5. coolarrow

coolarrow Senior member

Went with the RL singletons for a 1st communion celebration over the weekend:

[​IMG]

6. wonsmithr8

wonsmithr8 Senior member

Definitely bothers me and I got in touch with Allison and am sending them back to be remade. Thanks fellas!

Haha hmm I'll have to do that when I get home! Thanks!

7. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

So I have some new Jeffersons (2nds) that have the pinking right at the point in the middle that wants to flap up. Whats an appropriate means to secure it down so it doesn't end up getting ripped off somehow. Thinking some form of adhesive possibly.

8. chrispy650

chrispy650 Senior member

Haha you know for some reason after conditioning, my left one is always the one squeaking still..

9. srolaser

srolaser Active Member

This is so typical of AE these days.
    I just returned a pair of Burg Cordo Macneils with wrinkled skin on the vamp.
    Another pair bought at Nordies, Wilberts, had the same uneven lacing blucher "flaps."
    AE has had poor workmanship and very poor quality control issues for the past many years.
    I am uncetain as to what is going on there but I am glad I am old enough to no longer need shoes from them.
    One good thing is their customer service. But, my lord! These are not inexpensive shoes and these issues come up more often than not lately.
    S

10. brokencycle

brokencycle Senior member

It is probably your foot. ;)

11. ElDave

ElDave Senior member

I could see the uneven lacing or the off center cap making it through QC, but the blotch on each side...wow. That's extremely disappointing. I know a lot of companies are running short on CXL so they're letting blemishes get through (and, truth be told, a lot of the "blemishes" people get worked up about are just fine with me on a CXL shoe) but those blotches are completely screwed. That's embarrassing.
    I think it's interesting that the only acceptable model in there - the Bleeker - was designed by a student with a stated background in Menswear Fashion Design. Strangely, the Wright, despite being designed by a non-American with no knowledge of "Midwest values" was still acceptable (although I wouldn't buy it.) The Strata was just awkward and I think that student should stick to womens' designs. I hate saying this because there's a very nice story behind it, but the Frontier Boot is hideous.
    One of the worst boots I've ever seen.

12. BCer

BCer Senior member

Playing a bit of devils advocate, but on those defects above, is it possible with CXL, that if you over-burnish it, as appears in the photos, it looks ok initially - maybe just a little oily? And then it gets boxed up and shipped out, and over the following days and weeks, it almost 'oxidizes' like a cut apple? Not sure if that's the right analogy, but I too can't imagine how those got through QC. I'm wondering if they may have just appeared as acceptable 'oily patches'? I'm not defending AE, because I find that amazing - so much so, that I'm even trying to figure out how it's possible!?

13. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

Also as I said in a different post those spots appear on the other side of each shoe also - so it is actually 4 spots...almost as if a person with greasy hands were holding the shoes in that spot for an extended time. The spots were the first things I noticed and in my mind thinking with my handy dandy kit of lotions, salves, bones, crèmes, waxes...etc I would have no problem fixing that...then the issues just kept mounting...

14. brokencycle

I agree with most of what you said here. I think the Bleeker would be okay as a casual shoe in suede or some kind of fabric. Something just seems wrong about it in these dark leather colors. The frontier boot is just too many different kinds of material. Maybe two leathers would be okay, but it just looks busy and conflicting. The sparta just looks like it tried taking a classic wingtip and turning it into a loafer and just doesn't come together at all.

15. BCer

BCer Senior member

...silly rant removed. (Oops)

16. bkotsko

bkotsko Senior member

I think we have to look at the source of the design. Parsons is a great design school, but I would bet that many of the students would love to get into fashion. Go to fashion week and tell me if any of the "high fashion" things on the runway are things that any average person would wear. The idea is that the industry take cues from these designs and implement them in everyday RTW. Granted, this is my layman opinion. I agree that the Bleeker is the closest to a real product, and the Wright is an acceptable second.

1 person likes this.
  17. brokencycle

Part of the rant is predicated on how many shoes do they sell every year? How many of them are seconds? We see a lot of seconds on this site because that's what people here buy. I think there is a bit of an observation bias here.

Also, I doubt they will ever drop price. The prices have been steadily increasing, and people regularly use price as a mental shortcut for quality, so cutting price may lead people to believe quality has dropped.

18. MisterFu

MisterFu Senior member

I actually quite like the Strata (though there is something odd with the finish of the facing top-line that would need to be corrected for production) and I think it would look very fetching in a burgundy. The Bleeker and the Wright, while well done, look to me like thousand other such boots and shoes. On the Frontier, I will absolutely agree: it is completely atrocious.

19. BCer

BCer Senior member

Yes I agree. It's just an observation, and likely biased. I've personally asked the outlets for a list of seconds in my size, and it boggled me - that's just one size. But even so, if it's a couple hundred pairs, and you multiply by every size, we're talking a few thousand shoes - in their system at one time. Seems a lot, but how many pairs do they sell in a year - that's the unknown. Doesn't excuse flaws in custom order MTO's being produced in the first place, and then shipped to consumer in the end.

Just a rant, and I do love my AE shoes. Seems their new owners might be able to spend some time tweaking a few things.

Who knows what we'll be seeing and talking about as far as quality and seconds in a year's time.

20. Pastor

Pastor Senior member

Wearing my Black Shell Park Avenues today. I've worn these several times and at the $299 2nd price point I consider them an excellent value. With that said, there are several things that irk me about these shoes.

These shoes creased on the outside of the captoe on the right shoe. Not a big deal but I notice. There is also a lot of bowing around my ankle. So much so that I was willing to send them back until I tried putting an additional insole in them. This cut down on the extreme amount of bowing but it also made the shoes a little too tight. These have since loosened up a bit but are far from the fitting like my other AE's. I'm not sure why these particular shoes have these problems as my other shoes in the same size and on the same last have none of the issues. Oh well, for $299 can I really complain. They still fit the bill when I need a black dress shoe. Being a minister probably facilitates black shoes a little more than most other professions.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.