• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolarrow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone ????

there is the size, then the 4 digit model #. Sometimes there will be another number that is 5 digit or so on a separate line. The 4 digit one is key. The last digit is the last of the shoe. Don't quote me on this, but the 1st 3 digits is the model #.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks, Ryden. Looks like I'll be ordering some reno today. I wish I could get reno and Alden leather defender from the same place. I want to get both. I want the defender for my Indys.

Does Leffot not stock both? You may want to give them a call. You could at least get some Reno and the Nano suede spray or Saphir brush as well. I know people here will probably think a $30 brush is ridiculous but I have tried almost every horsehair brush out there from $5 to $50 and for me nothing shines as well as the Saphir horsehair brushes.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Does Leffot not stock both? You may want to give them a call. You could at least get some Reno and the Nano suede spray or Saphir brush as well. I know people here will probably think a $30 brush is ridiculous but I have tried almost every horsehair brush out there from $5 to $50 and for me nothing shines as well as the Saphir horsehair brushes.

I will have to call Leffot. The nano suede spray wouldn't do me any good on shell, right? That's why I wanted the Defender. I have only had the AE brushes up to this point. I don't know any different.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:
Deer bone works a treat in smoothing out creases in shell. I have been fortunate with my shell Townelys - probably the least amount of creasing in any shoe I own, shell or calf:
orig.jpg

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I will have to call Leffot. The nano suede spray wouldn't do me any good on shell, right? That's why I wanted the Defender. I have only had the AE brushes up to this point. I don't know any different.

Hanger Project as well has a huge stocklist of shoe care products. Correct, on the suede spray. I just meant if you owned some suede that needed protection headed into the fall. I always try to group of shoe care orders together. I know must love the AE brushes but I find the shell to look very fuzzy after being brushed in comparison to other brushes.

bucksfan

Reaction score
Have you or will you wear them before you treat them? I wore my capp. Dundees once and where the creases formed are a bit rough. No other shell I have did this.

I almost always wear before treating. The roughness comes out in some shell shoes, and not in others - I have it in some of my AE shell, some of my Alden shell, and some of my C&J shell. I have found a damp rag + brushing works on some, reno + brushing works on most, and AE's shell cordovan cream + brushing works on most also. Just note that the AE cordovan cream also adds color and should be used very sparingly. Others have had success with Saphir's cordovan creams.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Hanger Project as well has a huge stocklist of shoe care products. Correct, on the suede spray. I just meant if you owned some suede that needed protection headed into the fall. I always try to group of shoe care orders together. I know must love the AE brushes but I find the shell to look very fuzzy after being brushed in comparison to other brushes. 

Yea, I agree with adding a couple more things in the order to make it more worth while. I did notice a little haze on the cappuccino. I used a new AE brush on those. I haven't noticed that on my other light and dark shell specific brushes.

Per RogerP...maybe I should add a deerbone to my order as well.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Maybe it's time to stop blaming the computer monitor and go see the optometrist about a new pair of glasses.
rimshot.gif

Touche'

Actually, I haven't had a complete eye exam in 3 years. I just refract myself every time I feel my glasses need an update.

It's true...doctors are the worst patients.

salgy

Reaction score

Don't quote me on this, but the 1st 3 digits is the model #.  

Correct sir... And within those 3 digits, customer service can also tell you what type of leather was used too (calf, CG, CXL, shell, etc)... Great tool for buying off the bay, especially with models that used to be made only with CG (like the Mcalister's)

Indyoshi68

Reaction score
I was skeptical about the color of these clearance long branches, but at $149 I thought they were worth the hold on my card for a couple weeks; when they came my girlfriend thought they were a rugged change up from what I was buying - they seem like real winter boots. These are straight from the box; finish was off, since fixed. Vibram sole is great, should give you some style and element protection. Have Daltons, wouldn't wear in show or rain...

My post seemed random; sorry...:embar:

Originally Posted by ScottyBoy920 View Post

Thought about looking into a winter boot for when its snowing or after a recent dumping. I talked to AE and they said that because of their shoes being welted, no matter what boot I choose I should definitely wear swims with them.

What do you guys wear for the winter seasons? Am I good with a pair of Cronmoks and swims?
When it's actively snowing more than an inch or two and I've gotta get to work, I choose either some 20-year-old Canadian-made Sorels or some LL Bean hiking boots :

...it helps that my office is far to the casual side of business casual. When things are wet and salty and nasty but mostly plowed and not actually precipitating, though, I'll wear Wilberts or my imminent Bayfields or similar rubber-treaded goodyear-welted footwear. Just wipe 'em down when you get to where you're going.

Last edited:

fiestaplatypus

Reaction score

Just received my cappuccino shell Mcallister 2nds and am a bit disappointed. Shoe looks great, but one pair has pretty glaring fold and discoloration as evident in the pics below. Is this something that can be fixed? Would return these but cappuccino is hard to find at the moment. Would appreciate your thoughts, thanks.

To be honest, these are one of the few pairs of seconds I've seen posted here that I would say are indeed questionable and almost downright unsellible (if they were calf). If these were burgundy or black shell, I'd still say return them immediately. BUT, since these are truffle/cappuccino, I'm going to say the following:

Do you really like the color otherwise? Do you own any other Truffle/Cappuccino models? These are probably your last chance to grab this color from Allen Edmonds in anywhere near the forseeable future. IF the flaw is on the inside of one of the shoes as it appears to be, I might actually be tempted to keep them myself. The flaw wouldn't be too noticeable and it likely wount affect the longevity of the shoe. It's not like you paid 500+ for them.

If it would REALLY bother you, sure, return them. But to me, the rareity might make up for it....assuming they didn't have any others in my size.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads