1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Toronto Members,

Where did you guys get your belts to match your walnut strand and color chili? I don't feel to spend $100 bucks on a belt from AE.

Yes I'm asking for a bargain here. No flames :embar:

2. JezeC

JezeC Senior member

A really great video on AE shoes made circa 1940. I don't presume AE still makes shoes with those exact procedures anymore.

AE should definitely bring back shoe socks! By the way, can shoes really bend like that? (toward the end of the video).

3. Spiker

Spiker Well-Known Member

Hello,

How tight is the new shoe supposed to fit.

I got 9.5E PA, I tired it it was snug fit. I returned it (Due to a defect) and got a different salesman to measure my feet. This one said I should be wearing 10D. It was a more loose fit with a little more wiggle room to my pinky toe, but also has a little more heel slipage, which I was told was normal. For 9.5E I can make the eyelet tab more parallel (if that matters).

I also got 10D Delray and it is like super loose (which is weird because placed sole to sole the 10D PA is wider). I am going to switch that into a 9.5D which fit snug and comfortable when I tired in store.

Is it weird to have 9.5D in 8 last and 10D in 5 last (which supposedly is already longer..). I imagine 9.5E for 5 last is the more logical choice (sorry I am OCD about the size being different..)

The reason I am asking is because I am planning to get more shoes in 5 last and trying to decide between 9.5E and 10D.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  4. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

More important to fit than length of the toe is getting the ball of your foot to fall into the widest part of the shoe. As long as you have a good fit in each last, don't worry about how you got there.

Also, having the same size sole does not guarantee that two different models will have the same volume dimensions inside. For example, my strands and kenilworths have identical footprints, but the latter is much roomier.

5. csmitty

csmitty Senior member

I was in a retail store today and a SA was going over some sale shoes that wouldn't start till April with another customer. He laughed at the McNeil saying he could see why it was on sale...geez. So I guess it's not to closely held. I didn't ask to what was on it but I thought she pointed out the Franciscan. Which I want as well. Though bourbon would be awesome.

6. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Fit is a personal thing i.e. some like their shoes loose while other prefer them to be more taut. I would caution you not to believe salesmen/women who tell you things such as the shoe will stretch or break in etc. While this will happen it should not drastically alter the fit. Additionally I would tell you that shoes should be comfortable when being tried on.

Lasts will certainly change sizes in a lot of cases. It is important to find someone will take time to help you find the right fit across various lasts, not just sell you a 9.5d because that is what is in the stock room.

7. MrWN

MrWN Well-Known Member

Wanted to get everyone's opinion on this interesting dilemma.
    I bought a pair of McAllister early 2013 in size 10 E.
    I the purchased the same pair about last month in size 9.5 E, since the 9.5 fits me better.
    They look quite noticeably different from one another.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see, the color of the soles are different. The 9.5E I ordered last month is on the right in the pictures.

The brogues differ in size and layout.
    The shoe on the right has bigger brogues and the brogues lie closer to the edge near the tip.

Looking at them both, the left shoe looks slimmer and better.
    Does anyone know if this is just a fluke?

8. Spiker

Spiker Well-Known Member

Cool that is what the 2nd salesman said, and he defiantly tired his best to do that.

I am glad to know that the shoe sit wont change much. I am pretty happy with the 10D PA, I just dont want it to become lose a few year down the road.
    How much heel slipage is normal? Right now my PA has just a little where I can feel it but dont really see it?

9. BigRob

BigRob Senior member

What's the cheapest I can find a pair of factory seconds Jeffersons? I'm willing to wait.

10. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

I buy the vast majority of my belts at Nordstrom Rack and have found a few that are a very close - but not perfect - match to AE's walnut color (I also have walnut strands). I don't need my belts to be a 100% match - as long as the color is very close I'm good with it. I don't think I've ever paid more than $20. I somewhat recently found a Hugo Boss suede belt that was $115 for $20 as well. You could also try DSW shoe warehouse as they carry many belts and colors for around $20 or so.

11. 7_rocket

7_rocket Senior member

Thanks scotty. No Nordstorm in Canada yet though.

12. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

Received my navy suede Strands this evening. These do not have the "seconds" stamp on the sole and I cannot find the error on the shoes with one exception - the color of the soles (welt?) looks darker on the right shoe vs. the left shoe, almost as if someone put a coating of brown edge dressing on it and said, "Oh crap - I was supposed to use neutral!" Other than this I see no errors whatsoever:
    [​IMG]
    They came with the darker laces and I tried a light blue pair I also have (and prefer).

[​IMG]

The shoe on the right seems a bit darker on the edges than the shoe on the left. I actually prefer the darker color.

[​IMG]

Left shoe welt.

[​IMG]

Right shoe (and darker welt).

[​IMG]

Sprayed them for protection and have the right socks ready to go. I really like these shoes. This is the eighth pair of AEs I've purchased in the past year which were sold as seconds where I was either shipped first quality shoes, I was able to fix the error very quickly, or the error was barely noticeable. Again, they have earned a customer for life in me :)

1 person likes this.
  13. Mark_Y

Mark_Y Senior member

Aren't all Strands brogues? Do you mean Snuff Suede Strands? Or Navy Strands? I'm confused.

14. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

Great looking shoes Scotty. Those laces are perfect. I see that the dryer looks much better with those shoes on. [​IMG]

15. Scottyb06

Scottyb06 Senior member

Nothing says "style" like my busted out washing machine due for a service appointment this Saturday morning :)

16. walkthewalk

walkthewalk Member

Can anyone help me find a link on how to lace my 4-hole cliftons the proper way? I have never done it before.

17. Loucks

Loucks Member

Here you go: http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

Take your pick. Straight bar lacing is my favorite.

Now two questions of my own: Do we know when the April sale referenced over the last couple of pages will start? I'm considering driving to an AE outlet before then to be sized properly.

Also, are the eyestays too misaligned on my MacNeils? GIS returns quite a few examples in which the eyestays are similarly misaligned, but mine seem slightly worse. I don't think it'll bother me as long as it's not very noticeable to others.

[​IMG]

18. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

I wouldn't call it a fluke as much as they are just different shoes. The sole supplier has probably changed or they made changes since you bought your first pair. As far as the pattern; I would highly doubt that the pattern on a different sized shoe will be indentical. Nothing to worry about.

19. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

Thread needs more pics
    [​IMG]

20. Count de Monet

Count de Monet Senior member

I like how the laces pick up the colors of the temperature control knob nicely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.