• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

rxcats

Reaction score
I plan on buying 3 pairs of AE during the Rediscover America sale this year. I already have Dalton (dark brown), McAllister (walnut), Delray (brown suede) and Neumok Wingtip (red and olive). I plan on getting Strand in bourbon and Broadstreet in walnut/bone. I generally hate black shoes and only wear them when necessary. The only black shoes I own are a pair of very dusty Kenneth Coles that I bought last minute (at DSW) for a evening wedding. I am embarrassed to wear them, but don't want to spend a lot of money on shoes I will get very little use out of. I noticed that AE has a shoe called New Haven that comes in black. It looks similar to the Fifth Avenue (at least in the picture) except that it is a blucher rather than a balmoral. I am wondering if this would do for the very occasional evening wedding or funeral. I sent allaboutshoes an instant message inquiring about his Rediscover America prices for all of the above shoes, but am on the fence about which black shoes to buy.

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Just received my cappuccino shell Mcallister 2nds and am a bit disappointed. Shoe looks great, but one pair has pretty glaring fold and discoloration as evident in the pics below. Is this something that can be fixed? Would return these but cappuccino is hard to find at the moment. Would appreciate your thoughts, thanks.

Those look bad… real bad!

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
^^ For all the seconds on here that you can't even tell they're seconds...there is no doubt they are seconds. Bad luck of the draw.

SBear

Reaction score
Considering the burgundy shell Bradley. I've way overspent my shoe budget but that hasn't seemed to stop me. For those with this shoe (or other split toe blucher), what are your experiences for style, use, etc.? When, where, with what, do you wear them...how often... If you don't like this style, reasons are also welcomed. Any thoughts or feedback is much appreciated.

bucksfan

Reaction score
I have the Bradley in burgundy shell. Great shoe, comfortable, good looking IMO. I wear them wi anything that isn't a suit. Charcoal grey, blue, brown, etc. I wear them as much as any of my other shoes - I keep them in rotation year round.

bucksfan

Reaction score

I'm not sure what the tab is referring to. Is the way the end of the belt looks? Do you have the polished cobbler? Isn't it corrected grain?

I have two "tab" shell cordovan belts. The tabs are basically the places where they sew the pieces of shell together.

I also have polished cobbler (corrected grain) belts for use with suits, since the cordovan belts are more casual.

YoungSweet

Reaction score
^^ For all the seconds on here that you can't even tell they're seconds...there is no doubt they are seconds. Bad luck of the draw.

Agree. I've gotten seconds before and could never tell what was wrong with the shoes. This is very obvious, I'd cut the lost and return them

YoungSweet

Reaction score
Aside from the Marketplace and eBay does anyone have some suggestions on where to sell very lightly used AE's?

I may get in trouble for saying this but you can post your size and what you're looking for, your location. I'm sure there are plenty of ppl here would check their closets

Shawnc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just picked these Shell Cordovan Polo Saddle shoes off eBay. Really pumped. The Amok door closed for me...and this one opened. They were on eBay for about 10 mins I think LOL $135!

What do you guys think? The soles are not worn very much at all.

At that price point I would have jumped at them. Nice pick-up.

NWTeal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received my cappuccino shell Mcallister 2nds and am a bit disappointed. Shoe looks great, but one pair has pretty glaring fold and discoloration as evident in the pics below. Is this something that can be fixed? Would return these but cappuccino is hard to find at the moment. Would appreciate your thoughts, thanks.

Those look pretty bad. I would return and maybe even contest the $10 restocking fee. I don't think those should even be seconds.

I have two "tab" shell cordovan belts. The tabs are basically the places where they sew the pieces of shell together.

I also have polished cobbler (corrected grain) belts for use with suits, since the cordovan belts are more casual.

Thanks. I'll have to check them out in store.

Scottyb06

Reaction score
What he said. Those are more like thirds or fourths! I have five or six pairs of seconds and none of them are even remotely close to that :(

AE_afficionado

Reaction score

I'd recommend 10.5e for you.

That's exactly what I did. At one point the AE manager and I talked about maybe getting 11E's to support thicker socks, but I thought better of going too much bigger, hopefully I don't regret it.

I came away with three very different shoes in this buying spree: Patriots, Jefferson, and Daltons. I'm pretty excited by the fact that they are all shell cordovan. I can't wait until they begin to trickle in from the factory.

Hopefully between my burgundy calf Patriots and soon to arrive brown shell Patriots that will suffice for a temporary rotation until I can wear a full complement of lace-ups again.

ridethecliche

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Not sure what you mean by already having Daltons then asking about chocolate or black. The 5th street are pretty dressy and I wouldn't wear them with jeans, especially not in black. If you have Daltons, then I think I'd suggest the Dundee for variety - maybe there are seconds available in your size. The options narrow fast when you ask for black boots for work and you already have Daltons. The options are basically Dalton, 5th Street, and Dundee shell looking at the AE web site unless your work is casual enough that you can get away with the Promontory Point.

I have the daltons in walnut.

I dint think I like the point. I'd have loved the shaker heights in black. AE doesn't have much for high utility in black boots. Bummer.

peppercorn78

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have the daltons in walnut.

I dint think I like the point. I'd have loved the shaker heights in black. AE doesn't have much for high utility in black boots. Bummer.

Why not do an MTO thru Allison for the black Shakers? If that's what you really want...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads