1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mild Mannered, Sep 27, 2009.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

I'm actually sad that the navy strands didn't work. I wear red pants pretty often and think they'd look awesome with those or brown chino's!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  2. harlequin782

harlequin782 Senior member

Ive been trying my best to wait till april for the anniversary sale to purchase the Franciscan, but alas, today my hopes were shattered as I learned that the Franciscan wont be included in the anniversary sale...just shattered

3. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

How did you learn this? Can you share your intel?

4. ridethecliche

ridethecliche Senior member

How do you know what is or isn't included?

5. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I am still stuck between the Franciscan Walnut and the Mora 2 bourbon ...I really wanted the Mora 2 with the toe cap from the Franciscan...I may settle and perhaps do the Franciscan in Bourbon or wait for a different color to come online for a shell version. Wonder if I acquired Cordovan on my own would AE make a shoe from it?

6. tifosi

tifosi Senior member

Nope.

7. LeviMay

LeviMay Senior member

They made me a Strand without the medallion, so I'd imagine they'd make you a Mora with one.

8. peppercorn78

Much easier to simply leave some broguing out of a pattern than to add something in. I would be surprised if they would do it.

9. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Last proportions bluchers vs balmoral etc. All play in to it. I would think with the recent changes to the mto program it may mot be possible only one way to find out.....ask.

10. Passat774

Passat774 Well-Known Member

Thanks again to whom over posted the information in regards to the designation of the S in the part number. I ended up with two wonderful pair of firsts with bags :)

11. Jackboot

Jackboot Senior member

Can anyone confirm if the trees sold by JAB are in fact are the "exact same" as the ones purchased directly from AE?

I know they are both made by Woodlore/AE, but I have a hunch that, at some point in the production process, AE grades the quality of their trees based on the heartwood (red) content. This makes logical sense, doesn't it? There is only so much heartwood in the tree, so it makes sense that some trees would be produced with less heartwood than others. Does AE sell these on at reduced prices to their numerous clients that private-label these trees?

I can back this idea up with some anecdotal evidence: I have trees that I've purchased from AE directly as well as trees that I've purchased from the shoe bank. The trees that the shoe bank sells are second quality - something that I did not consider when purchasing them. The only "defect" that I can find in my second-quality trees is that they use less heartwood than my first-quality trees. In fact, my first-quality trees are virtually all heartwood. AE describes their trees on their website as containing at least 75% heartwood. Where do the trees go that use less than 75% heartwood? JAB and others? The lowest AE sells their trees for directly is about $17.50 (2/$39 + 10% sitewide sales), so I wonder why JAB can sell them for under $7 (presumably at a profit).

12. harlequin782

Sto

im unwilling to disclose my exact source as I have a pretty good relationship with my local allen edmondsband I dont wish to jeopardize anyones job nor my rapport with my retailer...I can only say that a store associate told me that its not going to be in the sale, based on her "preliminary" sale list....however she did also say that a couple more styles could be added the list as the sale date approaches, but I wouldnt hang my hat on that being one of the styles

13. peppercorn78

So to sum up, you don't know anything beyond the Franciscan.

Thanks.

14. Kahuna75

Kahuna75 Senior member

I called and asked, actually at random got Allison and she said no...I didn't lay on any harm though..

15. harlequin782

correct...according to her, since i liked the 333 last, the only other shoe that she shows as being on that last in the sale, is the University, which im not too fond of since i already own a short wingtip in the mcalister. She DID also say that they usually throw one of the woven styles in the sale, so im hoping it will be the Boca Raton, but it hasnt been added yet according to the preliminary list...im keeping my fingers crossed though

16. harlequin782

Well, know the struggle...for I too, faced a similar quandary in trying to decide between the Walnut Franciscan and the Bourbon Mora 2.0...for me, a few things went into my decision to go with the M2. For one, i have come to accept the fact that im apparently a bourbon whore, as i love the color. 2) i already have a walnut shoe, and if you're not careful the waalnut can get a bit too flashy for a wardrobe like mine. im already a tall person so i command enough attention withoutneeding flashy attire...3) though i prefer the 333 last to any of the other lasts, i also prefer the "tidier" look of a double monk vs. the look of a Single monk..but truthfulky, and i really mean this but, you cant go wrong with either style...i think the franciscan could be dressier, but since it is walnut, perhaps not....i can only say that i receive compliments whenever i wear my bourbon M2's...cant go wrong with it.

17. YoungSweet

YoungSweet Senior member

deleted

Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  18. jd13jd13

jd13jd13 Senior member

Does anyone know what last the Hillsboro is on? It's a discontinued semi-brogue monkstrap. It looks similar to the Franciscan, but instead of a chiseled toe, it's round.

19. BackInTheJox

BackInTheJox Senior member

I own the Singletons (in tan and in brown both) and absolutely love them. I think I paid $149 for each pair of seconds.

20. reidrothchild

reidrothchild Senior member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brown suede Lucca 1sts I scored during the 2 for 250 sale landed today. Joins his other two Italian line brothers, Verona and Modena. Just insanely comfortable. I think I could wear these as house slippers. A few more sales and I'll be able to wear AE's Italian collection every day of the week. I never even liked bit loafers before I tried one of these on. Once you try them on and feel how comfortable they are, they go from looking "80's Wall St d-bag" to "sleek and classic."

What would you guys wear the Lucca with? I say it's suede and a loafer, so it's casual. My wife says the shiny horse bit makes it too "fancy" for anything short of a suit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.