• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Allen Edmonds Appreciation Thread - reviews, pictures, sizing, etc...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FYI Jos A Bank is having buy 1 get 2 free on shoe trees...comes out to around i think 8 bucks a pop b4 shipping.

EDIT: USE PROMO CODE SAVETWTY @ CHECKOUT FOR ANOTHER 20% OFF!!!

scratch that, it may not stack...im in the process of attempting a check out with everything stacked.

EDIT: This is what I learned, if you purchase 3 trees its does not stack...if you purchase between 4-5 trees you get 3 for 25 total, and 20% off the other 2...but if you jump up to 6 trees, once again it does not stack with B1G2 sale and the total for 6 would just be 50$.

Just left jos a bank with 3 shoe trees, 3 suit hangers, 5 merino wool OTC socks & 1 wooden shoe horn for 80$...not bad I think.
No that isn't bad at all. I just ordered 9 trees for less than $9 each delivered with tax. Although I wish that I would have seen the OTC merino wool socks like you did but I figure I will eventually be able to use the extra trees. Thank you!

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone make a habit of buying the Combination Tap soles, and if so how does it wear? Is it thin and when it wears you have to replace it, or does it just wear down then you're left with leather?

I am working and living now in the Middle East/North Africa, and all floors here are essentially stone or marble, so leather is quite slick actually. So I am considering an alternative...

Thanks for any input!
I put my first pair of half soles on a pair of boots for the same reason you mention, marble hospital and clinic floors. The cobbler put the standard Vibram half soles on and they are very thin and very hard, they were just as slick on the marble as leather soles. The AE tap soles that are on the BB PA shoes seem a bit softer and have a little better grip. Vibram makes more than 60 types of half soles the last time I looked it up. So if you can find a decent cobbler that knows what your looking for he should be able to help you select the right ones. I was told that they can be replaced if they wear out but mine are so hard I don't think they will ever wear out. In the end I have just decided to keep the leather soles on most of my shoes. And have come to appreciate grab rails along walls at entrance ways that often get wet!
Game Day

Unfortunately I have to work. Not AEs. Unfortunately, AE doesn't make a simple suede buck.
Sorry to hear that you have to work today Doc. But very well done with your bucks! And agree AE needs a simple suede buck, or 3
smile.gif

Cold Iron

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All this talk of 744's so I had to dig mine out at 4 AM today. With SmartWool midweight hiking socks and Reddington technical fishing pants. Went fishing for a couple of hours this morning with the girlfriend and let a lot of trout go but kept our limit for lunch and the freezer. Will repeat the next 2 mornings I hope.

B2C2V

Reaction score
For those who have the RL Saunders, are they TTS?

Does the size list that an outlet emailed you contain just that store's inventory or the entire AE system?

Thanks in advance.

green garden

Reaction score
Does anyone make a habit of buying the Combination Tap soles, and if so how does it wear? Is it thin and when it wears you have to replace it, or does it just wear down then you're left with leather?

I am working and living now in the Middle East/North Africa, and all floors here are essentially stone or marble, so leather is quite slick actually. So I am considering an alternative...

Thanks for any input!
I don't have direct experience with the combination tap sole. But when I was inquiring about for my MTO, Allison said the combination tap sole is only available as a single leather sole. I wanted the tap sole mainly for water protection. I didn't choose it though because I wanted a double leather sole. So I will just have oversoles put on for water protection. One other option you may want to consider is that AE could install Dainite. However they only have it in black. So if this color works for you, it's another option.

green garden

Reaction score
AE BB MacNeil seconds. - Problem with the heel.

Recently got my Allen Edmonds Brooks Brothers MacNeils, in Chili grain, and they look great.
Also picked up BB Sheltons which are flawless.

Anyway, the MacNeils have some slight flaws to the finish, but nothing that would be noticed by the casual observer.
There is however a problem with the heel of the right shoe. Basically, the left front edge of the heel touches the ground before any other part. The heel seems mis-alligned with the sole, if that makes sense. Hard to describe this, but I do feel pressure on my instep in this shoe. I've worn them about 2 or 3 times, and other than this, they are a very comfortable shoe.

Since I am in England, and got these shoes delivered to my sister-in-law who lives in the US, who then brought them over to me, I can't return them.
Is it an easy fix for a competent cobbler to do?
I guess a "quick fix" would be to file the heel down at the left front edge, but will that work?
The problem would only return next time new heels are put on.
Does the heel need to be totally rebuilt?
Look for a good cobbler. I sounds like it's something a competent one could definitely fix.

AdamAdam

Reaction score
I recently got the combo sole on my McAllisters and really like it compared to leather. Even on the office carpet the combo seems less slippery. I like the way it looks also (even if it's weird to look at the bottom of your shoes from time to time).

I'm also interested in the Saunders question above. I posted the same a few pages back. Are all RL by AE shoes on the same last? I tried the Sanderson recently so want to know if others will fit the same.

Thanks!

Busa

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses on the tap soles, very helpful. Let me ask on a different topic-

Sent an email to one of the more well informed AE sales associates I have met, asked and answered below- any further information anyone can add about care and feeding for our beloved new leather color, Bourbon?

Me- (obviously nonplussed)

"Hey, I have a question for you before I invest in any more Bourbon shoes- how the HELL do I polish them?? I took my Saphir Renovateur to my Flatirons to condition them prior to polishing for the first time, and luckily I started on a test spot on the heel- it stripped it down to plain Walnut leather!

Apparently Bourbon is just Walnut leather, burnished or polished with a darker color? WTF, I can't match the color on these- if I use Walnut overall it will lighten them, if I use Brown it will darken them- if I use Neutral it won't fill any scuffs.

Suggestions?!?"

Answer-

"That is an excellent question. Like you say, it is a walnut leather underneath a dark burnish. It's hard not to remove that burnish through polishing. They just came out with a bourbon polish which isn't as heavy as dark brown. Though I still noticed it takes a bit of the burnishing off. What I do now is use the bourbon to work out the scuff, and then I go over with a black to renew the burnished look. Most assuredly a finicky process, but that's all I can offer."

ScottyBoy920

Reaction score
Thinking of a Strand MTO in burgundy calf. Can you guys give me some ideas on welt and dressing colors. I wanted to do something different than the black seen on other burgundy shoes.

Thanks for the input.

bl@ster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All this talk of 744's so I had to dig mine out at 4 AM today. With SmartWool midweight hiking socks and Reddington technical fishing pants. Went fishing for a couple of hours this morning with the girlfriend and let a lot of trout go but kept our limit for lunch and the freezer. Will repeat the next 2 mornings I hope.
[/URL]

LOL @ fishing in ~$750 boots. We live in strange times :D

jch1

Reaction score
Thinking of a Strand MTO in burgundy calf. Can you guys give me some ideas on welt and dressing colors. I wanted to do something different than the black seen on other burgundy shoes.

Thanks for the input.
I was thinking the same, but I abandoned that idea for an even better (IMO) strand makeup. I would say a standard brown sole would work. Chili may be too much red.

OptoDoc

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words, CI. I wouldn't even have these bucks if it weren't for you.

Those are some nice looking specks. Certainly wish I were fishing and sharing a beer with you rather than treating what seems to be an epidemic of conjunctivitis today.

LeviMay

Reaction score
Had to Google that. Gross.

I hope you have a cold gin waiting for you when you're done.

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote:

Apparently Bourbon is just Walnut leather, burnished or polished with a darker color? WTF, I can't match the color on these- if I use Walnut overall it will lighten them, if I use Brown it will darken them- if I use Neutral it won't fill any scuffs.

Suggestions?!?"

I use AE Cleaner-Conditioner, Neutral Polish, and Neutral Carnuba Wax on my Bourbon Park Avenues. When there are scuffs, I use my black shoe brush, which burnishes the scuff as well as making the shoes "more Bourbon".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads